Search for content in message boards

Elisha Tompkins Hargis/Oklahoma

Elisha Tompkins Hargis/Oklahoma

Bonnie (View posts)
Posted: 13 Feb 2003 6:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hargis
Elisha Tompkins Hargis was my great-great grandfather. He was born in Oklahoma and died there on Nov. 4, 1903, buried in Marlow OK. He had a twin brother named Elijah.
My great-grandmother, Ruth Ellen (Hargis) Hammer was his daughter. Her and his son Joseph Hargis were born to Elisha Tomplins Hargis and his first wife, (she died in childbirth with her third child). I don't have a name on Elisha's first wife nor does anyone else in the family. The name of the first wife and information on her is greatly needed. We have info on Elisha and his 2nd wife Ella (Mullen) Hargis.
Son Joseph Hargis was deaf and had been killed by a train while walking on the tracks. He was married and it is believed he had four children and lived near Sacramento, Calif. I am looking for any one who might have additional information on Elisha Tompkins Hargis, his son Joseph or his brother Elijah.
I believe that Elisha's first wife was of Cherokee descent as was his second.
Please email me at sbduncan@attbi.com if you have any information.
Thanks,
Bonnie

Re: Elisha Tompkins Hargis/Oklahoma

bob melson (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jan 2004 6:30PM GMT
I don't know if this is a connection or not but---My great grandfather was Elisha Hargis(also called Harquis). He was born Apr 1837 in Illinois but I think it may have been KY. Anyway, my Elisha married Nancy J. Walker, abt 3/4 blood Cherokee. They divorced about 1886/7 in OK. My grandmother, Elisha's dau, Tooka Attlee was born 1886 at Hurlburt OK then Ind Territory on the reservation, in the Going Snake district. This family centered around the Ft. Gibson and Talequah regions. I don't know if this is the same Elisha as yours but I would sure like to put the question to bed.

Posted: 25 Sep 2009 3:14PM GMT
hi, my name is elisha hargis i'm bout to turn 17 nd i was just wondering if you had any information about the hargis family i dont know if were related but i do know that i have a lot of cherokee in my family and apparently the same names. you can email me anytime for info. if you want i would really appreciate it.

Posted: 3 Jan 2014 6:50PM GMT
Bob,
Elisha Hargis was also my ggfather and he is the father of Tooka Attilee. Elisha is listed on the Cherokee rolls as having abandoned Nancy and children, and his next appearance in the census was in 1880, living with his mother Catherine (Ogden, due to remarriage), and 2 children from an apparent affair or 2nd marriage. In the 1900 census, he was listed as back in OK, with a 2nd indigenous wife, Ella (Mullen) - 30 years younger, and children. You can contact me at roybennet@gmail.com if you need more. I have little else.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions