Search for content in message boards

Moundville, WI - is there one?

Moundville, WI - is there one?

Posted: 13 Nov 2004 10:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Oct 2005 6:31PM GMT
Surnames: Hawes
Is there reallly a Moundville, WI? I have someone who died there in 1851. I don't find it in the US Geological Search.

Re: Moundville, WI - is there one?

Posted: 14 Nov 2004 6:30PM GMT
Edited: 11 Dec 2004 4:26PM GMT
Moundville Station is a post village on the Wisconsin Central line. which runs north and south through this town. It was settled in 1848, and 1890 had a population of about 400. This place is fourteen miles SW of Montello, and ten miles N of Portage, the nearest banking point. It contains a church and a school. Following is a summary of its principal business interests: C.A. Mettitt, lumber dealer and proprietor of a general store; H. Ennis, merchant; J. Smith, blacksmith; C. Ellison is postmaster. This was taken from "Come Back in Time" Volume I: Communities, By Elaine Reetz. Some census will show Moundville as a town. 1900 it showed on the Marquette Co. map as town S of Endeavor, WI. But todays map it is the name of the township. Hope this helps. Dee

Posted: 14 Nov 2004 6:48PM GMT
Dee, Yes that helps a lot. I am using a new program I found (GenSmarts), that checks you files(in several different programs), and gives you ideas on where to look and why. I have found several cities, in various states that I couldn't match to a county. (using USGS). Thanks for the post.

Posted: 31 Dec 2004 6:22AM GMT
I have been doing research in Marquette County and Columbia County area. I have obtain listings of some of the cemeterys in that area and have a listing for Moundville if you would want me to look up a name for you. The cemetery isn't on the net but I sent for it. I also have people in this area from my family.

Posted: 31 Dec 2004 4:25PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jan 2005 2:45AM GMT
Surnames: Radtke, Bartells, Hahn, Elliott
These are the names that I have so far from Moundville.
Gustave Radtke, wife ??--Wm. Albert Radtke, wife Ida Elizabeth Bartels--Mildred Radtke, husband alive Hahn--George Bartells, wife Eliza Elliott--Leona Bartels, husband William???--I got George and Ida as being Born
In Moundville do you have any others by the same last name? The Cemetery must be by the Church. Is this part
of your family? Do you have a listing for Louis Hoffman in a different Cemetery? Wife, Mary Marie Johnson both d. around 1960? Dee

Posted: 31 Dec 2004 5:41PM GMT
Surnames: Beach, Sisson, Barton, Houghtaling, Hawes
I want to thank everyone for their response. I got it wrong it was not a death in 1851 but two births in 1851. Luther John Hawes Aug 7, 1851 and Orpha Hawes, Jan 8, 1854. Both born in Moundville, WI. There are 8 chldren in this family. Two of them died in Oxford, WI(that I know of) Ursulla Hawes, Feb 5, 1887, and Permelia Ann Hawes, Sep 5, 1913. They were both born in OH. These are not in my direct line, I was doing some fill in research.

Posted: 1 Jan 2005 12:05AM GMT
Edited: 8 Oct 2005 12:25AM GMT
Yes I have been reseacrhing the Bartels and or Bartells name there and have info on that family. If you can give me around about years I will pull out my listings and look for them. I have been doing the Bartels from Mary and Sarah Peake who both married Bartel brothers back in the 1800's, and have some of the family up to living today. E-mail me directly instead of posting, would be a lot easier.

Posted: 2 Feb 2012 8:07AM GMT
Yes, there is a Moundville, Wisconsin. I have ancestors who settled there when they came to the United States from England and Ireland. It is just north of Madison and Portage on highway 39. I was able to find it using Google maps. They put a pointer there even though there is no name printed on the map itself. I think it is a very small place. Good luck finding it.
I also have ancestors who died in that area, one even in 1850.

Posted: 11 Aug 2013 4:38PM GMT
Surnames: whoriskey, collins
I also have relatives from Moundville according to the 1905 state census by the names of Whoriskey and Collins. I am told they are buried in St. John's Catholic cemetery but cannot find the cemetery listed any where.

Any help would be appreciated.

Frank

Posted: 11 Aug 2013 6:50PM GMT
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions