Search for content in message boards

My birth was registered twice - Is Legal?

My birth was registered twice - Is Legal?

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 2:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, at the ripe old age of 56 I discover that I was originally registered with my mothers surname in 1956, then again under my current name in 1960. I knew my mother didn't marry my father till 1959, but is/was it legal to re-register me? Thanks for help.

Leslie.

Re: My birth was registered twice - Is Legal?

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 7:08AM GMT
Absolutely, in the circumstances you describe, where the natural parents marry after the birth. It would not be possible if the mother married someone else other than the child's biological father.

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 12:59PM GMT
Well I am surprised. I thought once a child was registered the name could never be altered. Thanks for reply. Les.

Posted: 26 Oct 2012 10:14AM GMT
I also have quite a few duplicate birth certs.

They have been registered by the mother in the district of the birth (Linlithgow, Dumbarton and Edinburgh)

and the registered with the same details in the familys usual residence district of New Monkland, Lanark.

Posted: 10 Nov 2012 1:04PM GMT
I was told by a registrar that I could change my daughters name if I DIDN'T marry her Dad back in 1983. When I tried to change her name back to mine I was told I can change her first name within 1 year of birth but could never change her surname except by deed poll, which needed her fathers permission. I also have two birth certificates for myself because my Mum registered my first name as 'Linda' and changed the spelling to 'Lynda' when I was Christened at 8 months. That was in 1960.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic