Search for content in message boards

Margaret LENNOX born 1893 in Rathmines, Dublin Co

Margaret LENNOX born 1893 in Rathmines, Dublin Co

Posted: 15 Feb 2005 2:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Sep 2005 4:35PM GMT
Surnames: Lennox, Byrne
Looking for information for Margaret LENNOX born 1893 in Rathmines, Dublin Co. to Michael Lennox and Elizabeth Byrne. She and sister Catherine (b.1889) emigrated to the US in 1915 and lived in New York City. Have photos and documents to share from 1915 and later.

Re: Margaret LENNOX born 1893 in Rathmines, Dublin Co

Posted: 17 Feb 2005 12:27PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jun 2005 3:31AM GMT
Maryanne,

You can check microfilm copies of the 1901 and 1911 Irish census for information on the family. They're available through a LDS Family History Centre.

Eilís O'Hara

Posted: 18 Feb 2005 10:06AM GMT
Maryanne,

have you got margaret's birth cert yet ?

regards, david

maryanne walsh (View posts)
Posted: 20 Feb 2005 1:24AM GMT
No I haven’t got her birth cert although I’m sure she was registered since her sister’s birth was reported (I have the sister’s cert from family records).
However, I am handicapped and nowhere near a Family History Center. Do you know of any other sources?

Posted: 16 Mar 2005 2:02AM GMT
Hi Maryanne
Did you manage to get Margaret's birth cert yet? If not, I could look it up next time I'm in the BDM office in Dublin (where I live), if you like. Should I find it and subsequently an exact address in Rathmines, I could take a photo(s) of the house, as I live in Rathgar, which is only up the road from Rathmines! Let me know at your convenience.
Regards, Colette O'Rorke

maryanne (View posts)
Posted: 23 Mar 2005 1:15AM GMT
Hi Colette,

No I haven’t got her birth cert although I’m sure she was registered since her sister’s birth was reported (I have the sister’s cert from family records). It's been impossible for me to get anywhere with this family working from the US. I am handicapped and nowhere near a Family History Center. I'd greatly appreciate any help you could give.

The address on her sister's birth cert is 6 Harold's Cross Rathmines (March 1889) - that daughter was baptized at the Church of Our Immaculate Lady of Refuge (RC) in Rathmines. As far as I can tell Margaret was born either 1893 or 94 – her age is given differently on different records but her marriage certificate here in the US and her immigration record agree that she was 23 years old in Feb. 1917. At that time she her father’s address was listed as Michael Lennox at 8 Bank Side So.Dublin. Her mother’s name was Elizabeth Byrne.

It’s very generous of you to offer your help. I appreciate your effort even if you don’t locate anything – I know the time and effort research takes.
Thanks in advance,

Maryanne

Palmyra, Virginia USA

Posted: 24 Mar 2005 7:09PM GMT
Hi Maryanne
Haven't been in the BDM office this week, but had a quick look for your MARGARET LENNOX while at the National Archives.
I checked the 1901 Census, and the Thoms Directories for 1889 +/- 3 years either side, but no Lennox family living at either Harolds Cross Road or Cottages. Can you have another look at Catherine's baptism cert and see if it says anything more specific than Harolds Cross (which was and is an area, rather than a street name)?
Also, there doesn't appear to any such place in Co. Dublin called 8 Bank Side (as per Margaret's father's place of residence at the time of her marriage). Any further info?
Look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards, Colette

Maryanne (View posts)
Posted: 24 Mar 2005 8:04PM GMT
Hi again, Colette,
I rechecked the birth registration for sister Kathleen - it's a photocopy e-mailed to me and not too clear. But the address is written in three different columns and each time reads "6 Harold's Cross". The top of the document reads "District of Rathmines in the Union of Dublin South". Her father was a laborer and may have moved to find work. The first column (cert #?) is cut off. but the rest is legible. On both the ship manifests (Margaret's in 1917 and Kathleen's in 1920) their father is listed as Michael Lennox at "8 Bank Side, Milltown, Co.Dublin". Is it possible that the street names have changed over the years as the city expanded and took in these neighborhoods?
Thanks again for your help,
Maryanne

Posted: 11 Mar 2013 4:34PM GMT
Surnames: Lennox
Hello maryanne I have been searching for any Lennox family from bankside cottages milltown co dublin Michael and Elizabeth were my great grandparents their daughter Agnes gave birth to my father John in England 1920 she brought him back to dublin But couldn't look after him the couple that were minding him eventually adopted him but they never told him he was adopted they just gave him their name but when he and my mam were getting married and looking for his birth cert. they told him the as the surname was different . Needless to say he wasn't too happy and never spoke about it at home when we were growing up mam and dad had 4 children. My grandparents said I was the image of dads mother Agnes her nickname was dolly and they called me dolly too when I came into the room which drove dad mad they told us she went to America to start a new life but she didn't I have checked it out it would be nice hear from some of our distant cousins 2nd or 3rd all of my dads life he was very lonely but never spoke about it it was a no no. I do hope I can be of help. Yours marie Lennox dolly. Married name is Magennis

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 12:03AM GMT
Hi Marie
Your Lennox family is on both the 1901 & 1911 censuses http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie.
There are also 2 baptisms for Lennox children here http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie.
You might a couple of the Lennox boys listed in the 1939/40 Electoral Rolls here http://www.dublinheritage.ie/electoral/index.php.
Do you live in Dublin? If so you can go the the Library in Pearse Street where they have Electoral Rolls up to (I think) 1963 & beyond.
Good luck!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions