Search for content in message boards

Abel White family

Abel White family

Posted: 5 Oct 2004 10:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Aug 2005 7:17AM GMT
Surnames: White Searl
[Surnames: WHITE, BASSETT, COMFORT, FUQUA, OSBORN, CRAYCRAFT, HYDE, CHAMBERLIN, NOEL, WILHELM, COOPER, SPRINKLE]

Hello all,

I thought I'd pass along an excerpt of a biographical passage from pp 296-297 "History of Greenup County, Kentucky" (Nina Biggs and Mabel Macay, Evansville, IN 1951) transcribed at the Scioto County Public Library, Portsmouth, OH in 2002. While the main subject of the passage is the White family of Greenup County, KY and Scioto County, OH, several additional Greenup County families are mentioned.

As a disclaimer, I will say I am aware that there is dispute on whether or not Greenup County's Abel White was truly connected to the Mayflower Whites, and also whether Sarah Comfort (J. Bradley Arthaud states his marriage was to Sarah "Brock" of Woodstock, CT) was his wife as opposed to Rebecca Solace. It is possible he had two marriages. Other researchers feel there are two Abel Whites- I have articles that discuss that topic. We do know however Abel White's children are as they are listed here and in his Greenup County probate.

For those wanting more information regarding Arthaud's reserach, look for his two articles: "Abel White of Kentucky: Unrecorded Son of Nicholas and Sarah (King) While of Norton, Massachussetts?" in The New England Historical and Genealogical Register (Vol 148, Whole No 591, July 1994, pp. 259-264); and "Abel White (Ca. 1758-1823) From New Hampshire to Kentucky", in The American Genealogist (Vol. 48, No. 4, Whole No. 192, October 1972, pp. 234-237). I have both of these posted for now on my webpage at www.ciurlionis.net/varis

I hope this is helpful

--Vic Varis
vicvaris@earthlink.net

-------

WHITE
The greater part of this history of the White family is taken from Evans' History of Scioto County, Ohio. Not many families can trace their ancestry, as do the Whites, back to the landing of the "Mayflower" in 1620 in the harbor off the coast of Massachusetts.

William White and his wife, Susanna Fuller White, came to America on the "Mayflower." They had two sons, Resolved and Peregrine. Peregrine White was born on the "Mayflower" December 10, 1620. He married Sarah Bassett, daughter William Bassett, who came to Plymouth on the "Fortune" November 10, 1621. Their children were Daniel, Jonathan, Sarah, and Mercy. Daniel (1649) married Hana Hunt at Duxbury, Massachusetts, August 19, 1674.

Children of Daniel and Hana Hunt White were John (1675), Joseph (1678), Thomas (1680), Cornelius (1682), and Eleazar (1686). Eleazar married Mary Doggett and they had nine children. Nehemiah was the eldest and his children were Philip (1732), Nicholas (1734), and Seth (1737). Seth was born at Woodstock, Connecticut, moved to New Hampshire, and from there to Kentucky in 1779.

The children of Seth were Seth Jr., (1759) and Abel. Abel came with his father, Seth Sr., down the Ohio River on a raft with their household goods and families, and landed about two miles below Greenupsburg. Abel had been a soldier in the Revolutionary War and was discharged in 1777. He married Sarah Comfort and they had ten children. His will is on record in the clerk's office at Greenup and is dated October 3, 1823. It names the following children: Seth, Susannah, Abel Jr., Sabina, Rebecca, Polly, Daniel, Anna, John, Asie, Jeremiah, Joel, and Sally. Witnesses were John Fuqua, James Osborn, John Craycraft, and James L. Hyde. Daniel White was named executor of the will.

Daniel White married Sarah Osborn of Greenup County, September 22, 1814,and they were the parents of eleven children. The third child, Osborn, married Maria Chamberlin and their children were Anson, Abraham, Daniel, and Sarah Cooper. Daniel was born October 4, 1842, on Dogwood Ridge, Scioto County, Ohio. he married (1) Eliza Noel in 1866 and had one son, Frank, a jeweler in Portsmouth for many years, and (2) married Belle Wilhelm and they had one son, Abraham. Frank White married Carrie Sprinkle of Greenup County and they were the parents of a daughter, Pearl, and a son, Leslie, now a resident of Lucasville, Ohio.

[from pp 296-297 "History of Greenup County, Kentucky" (Nina Biggs and Mabel Macay, Evansville, IN, 1951)]
------

Re: Abel White family

Margaret (View posts)
Posted: 6 Oct 2004 7:51PM GMT
Surnames: White, Sprinkle, Kerr, Salisbury
A portion of the quote from the Greenup county history that Vic posted to the Greenup Co. Message Board, included the following:

"Frank White married Carrie Sprinkle of Greenup County and they were the parents of a daughter, Pearl, and a son, Leslie, now a resident of Lucasville, Ohio." [end quote]

I'm curious about the name Carrie Sprinkle. My understanding is that Frank White married Estella ("Stella") Sprinkle, d/o David K. Sprinkle & Sophia Kerr.

David K. Sprinkle & Sophia actually had a daughter nicknamed Carrie (Caroline), but she married Charles Salisbury.

I'd be pleased to exchange information on the descendants of Frank White and his Sprinkle wife.

(I am posting this follow-up query to the Greenup Message Board at Ancestry. I notice that Message Board queries are automatically "gatewayed" [forwarded] to the Greenup Co. List at Rootsweb. If you are reading this as a message to the List and would like to reply, please click on the "link" to the Message Board and place your reply there. I am not a List subscriber. Thanks!)
Margaret

Re: Sprinkle

Posted: 6 Oct 2004 10:05PM GMT
Edited: 10 Aug 2005 7:17AM GMT
I'm not sure about this, but here is something interesting. You might have already run into it. The other night I found this at FamilySearch.org as I worked my way through all the names in the Biggs article.

It was an 1880 Census reference to the family of David K. Sprinkle in Portsmouth, Scioto Co., OH. Five of six kids were born in KY-- I'm guessing Greenup Co. Here is the household summary:

Name------------Relation---Marital--- M/F---Race---Age---Birthplace---Occ---Father's BP---Mother's BP

David K. SPRINKLE---Self---M---Male---W---44---OH---Lumber Dealor---PA---OH

Sofier SPRINKLE---Wife---M---Female---W---40---OH---Keeping House---OH---OH

Carie W. SPRINKLE---Dau----S---Female---W---18---KY---At School---OH---OH

Steller I. SPRINKLE---Dau---S----Female---W---16---KY---At School ---OH---OH

Harrie K. SPRINKLE---Son---S---Male---W---13---KY----School---OH---OH

William A. SPRINKLE---Son---S---Male----W---9---OH---At School---OH---OH

Naomia B. SPRINKLE---Dau---S---Female---W---6---KY---At School---OH---OH

Sofier A. SPRINKLE---Dau---S---Female---W---4---KY---At School---OH---OH

Does the birthdate for Carie look about right?

Re: Sprinkle

Margaret (View posts)
Posted: 7 Oct 2004 12:26AM GMT
Surnames: Sprinkle, White
I'm not sure if this is still appropriate to the Greenup Message Board. . .but here's my reply anyway :-) (Perhaps any follow-up that does not apply to Greenup should be off board/list; you can e-mail me at MLSopp@ix.netcom.com)

Vic posted a transcription of the 1880 census for the David K. Sprinkle family of Portsmouth, Scioto Co., OH, mentioning that 5 out of 6 of their children were born in KY. Vic suggested that was probably Greenup Co., KY.

I suspect that they were born in Lewis Co., KY. Here is the David K. Sprinkle family over the years, followed by the Frank White family. (As recap, Frank White married a Sprinkle girl. The Greenup Co. history suggested her name was Carrie. I believe it was Estella ("Stella") Sprinkle who married Frank White. Interestingly, Estella had a sister named Carrie; however, she married a Salisbury.)

1860 Census, Lewis Co., KY, Pg. 868-9, Dwelling & Family 782:
D. K. SPRINKLE, 23, Wagonmaker, b. OH
Sophia, 21, b. OH
James L., 5/12, b. KY

-------

1870 Census, 2nd Street, 5th Ward, Portsmouth, Scioto Co., OH, Pg. 631B, Dwelling 113, Family 119 (image 16):
David K. SPRINKLE, 35, Lumber Trader, $8,000 $600 b. OH
Sophie, 31, Keeping House, b. OH
Carrie V., 8, attending school, b. KY****
Stella, 6, attending school, b. KY****
Harriet K., 3, b. KY
Charles, 11/12, b. OH, b. August
Lizzie YOST, 14, Domestic Servant, b. OH

-------

1880 Soundex, Gallia St., Portsmouth, Scioto County, OH, Vol. 57, ED 176, Sheet 2, Line 11:
David K. SPRINKLE, 44, b. OH
Sofier, wife, 40, b. OH
Carrie V., daughter, 18, b. KY****
Steller, daughter, 16, b. KY****
Harrie, son, 13, b. KY
William A., son, 9, b. OH
Neomia, daughter, 6, b. KY
Sofier A., daughter, 4, b. KY

----------

1900 Census, 74 West Second Street, Portsmouth, Ward 2, Scioto Co., OH, ED 123, Sheet 1B, Dwelling 18, Family 21:
Frank D. WHITE, head, b. Oct 1864, 35, married 13 years, b. OH, father & mother b. OH, Jeweler, literate, rents home
Estella, wife, b. Jun 1864, 35, married 13 years, 2 children born, 2 children living, b. KY, father & mother b. OH****
Pearl, daughter, b. Feb 1888, 12, b. OH, father b. OH, mother b. KY, at School, literate
Daniel W., son, b. Mar 1893, 7, b. OH, father b. OH, mother b. KY, at School, literate

------------

1910 Census, 74 West Second Street, Portsmouth, 1st Ward, Precinct B, Wayne Twp., Scioto Co., OH, ED 146, Sheet 2A, Dwelling 21, Family 26:
Frank D. WHITE, head, 45, married once, maried 23 years, b. OH, father & mother b. OH, Jeweler - Own Shop, own account, literate, rents home
Stella I, wife, 45, married once, married 23 years, 2 children born, 2 children living, b. KY, father & mother b. OH, literate****
Pearl H., daughter, 22, single, b. OH, father b. OH, mother b. KY, Stenographer - Machine Shop, literate
Daniel L., son, 17, b. OH, father b. OH, mother b. KY, literate, attends school

----------

1920 Census, 718 Third Street, Portsmouth, 1st Ward, Scioto Co., OH, ED 145, Sheet 8B, Dwelling 80, Family 212:
Frank D. WHITE, head, rents home, 54, married, literate, b. OH, father & mother b. OH, Jeweler - Own Store, own account
Stella I., wife, 54, married, literate, b. KY, father & mother b. OH****
Ralph BAKER, roomer, 24, divorced, literate, b. OH, father & mother b. OH, Baker - Bakery, worker

---------

OH Death Index:
WHITE STELLA S
County Name: SCIOTO Date of Death: 1/27/1929
Volume Number: 5892 Certificate Number: 9128

--------

Hope this helps.

Ann (View posts)
Posted: 8 Oct 2004 12:47PM GMT
Surnames: WHITE, COX, CALLOWAY, MARTIN
Vic,
Hello my name is Ann(Martin) Mongar and I have been searching for my White family and seem to be stuck. Here is some info on my line and if you could help I would be very thankful. Sincerely Ann

John Wesley White
married
Martha Cox

John and Martha(Cox) White childern are: ( I have listed)

1. Manford White b. June 28, 1891 in Kentucky
died June 17, 1950 in Quincy, Lewis County, Kentucky and is buried in Load Cemetery, Greenup County, Kentucky. Manford White married Mary Calloway b. February 09, 1890 in Lewis County, Kentucky died September 07, 1940 in Portsmouth, Scioto County, Ohio buried in Load Cemetery, Greenup County, Kentucky.
Manford and Mary(Calloway) White had the following childern:
1. Elsie White b. September 26, 1927 in Portsmouth, Scioto County, Ohio and died October 19, 1991 in Lucasville, Scioto County, Ohio buried in Lucasville cemetery. Elsie married Virgil Martin.

2. Roy White (no info on him at all)

Here is a 1930 census on Manford White in Portsmouth, Scioto County, Ohio:

1930 Ohio Federal census

Name: Manford White
Estimated birth year: 1891
Birthplace: Kentucky
Relation to Head-of-house: Head
Race: White
Home in 1930: Portsmouth, Scioto, Ohio
Education:
Military Service:
Rent/home value:
Age at first marriage:
Parents' birthplace: Virginia and Kentucky
Owned a radio:
Image Source: Year: 1930; Census Place: Portsmouth, Scioto, Ohio; Roll: T626_1868; Page: 14A; Enumeration District: 39; Image: 0436.

in this census there is listed under Manford
Manford White Head 38 years old born in Kentucky his father born in Virginia his mother born in Kentucky
Mary wife 40 yrs old born in Kentucky her father in West Virginia her mother in Kentucky
Elsie daughter 2 1/2 years old. born in Ohio her father in Kentucky her mother in Kentucky

Second child of John Wesley and Martha(Cox) White

2. Prascovia White(Aunt Press) b. September 20, 1898 died September 14, 1988 buried in Siloam Cemetery,Kentucky

Third Child of John Wesley and Martha(Cox) White
3. Curtis White b? d? Curtis signed Manford White's death certificate.

Any help that you can give me would be great!! Thanks again Ann

Posted: 26 Apr 2013 4:46AM GMT
I wanted to update my email address from the previous vic@psu-xa.org to a permanent address connected to my profile here.

Still working on all things Abel White (1758) from Greenup County, KY and Scioto Count, OH.

Latest clues indicate Abel was buried on his Greenup County farm. Does anyone have any ideas on where that might be today and if the burial ground is accessible?

Always happy to hear from you.

Posted: 25 May 2013 12:02AM GMT
Surnames: Abel white
Hey Vic, I am in Ct. and in the process of moving back to
The area. I was unhappy in Texas. I think that you have to be born there
to get it.

I am going to be driving through Kentucky and will round up a cousin of mine to see if we can find out where he lived. We can then go to the current owners and see if they know anything. Maybe they will even let us walk the property.

I will try.

Hope y are all well !!!

Laurel

Posted: 14 Feb 2014 11:43PM GMT
Surnames: White, Searl
Hi, we've added a new group on Facebook for descendants and others interested in Abel White, Please feel to join the group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/abelwhite/
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions