Search for content in message boards

Elbert Melton

Elbert Melton

Posted: 25 Aug 2012 4:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Melton, Coffee
My grandfather was Cedell Francis Melton who was the son of Elbert Melton (b.1852), who was the son of the older Elbert Melton. I am desperately trying to find the date he was born and who he was married to.

Re: Elbert Melton

Posted: 27 Aug 2012 4:53AM GMT
Are you looking for info on Cedell or Elbert or Elbert Sr.?

Cedell's death certificate is available on familysearch.org.
Cedell died 21 Sep 1940 of coronary declusion.
Birthdate: 19 Jun 1902
Parents: Elbert Melton and Rosie Washington
Informant: Naomi Melton (I think Cedell's wife)

Cedell was born in Falls County (1901 or 1902), lived in Hays and Nueces counties according to various census entries.

Records identifying one of the sons as Cedell Amos Melton, Jr. suggest that Cedell's middle name was Amos rather than Francis.

Some online trees show Cedell, Sr's mother as Rosa Lee White rather than Washington. His wife appears as Naomi Coffey or Coffee.

Death info for daughter Lucille Melton Green shows her parents as Melton and Coffee. Online tree information looks as if it probably derives from Lucille.

1910 census shows Elbert and Anna (or Rosa, hard to read) in Falls County. Cedell appears as "C. Dee".

Texas death index has Elbert dieing in Nueces in 1938.
1930 census shows Elbert and Rosa in Nueces. Elbert born Texas. Rosa born Louisiana. Nearby is a Carrie Washington, born in Texas of Louisiana parents; possibly related to Rosa.

Posted: 12 Sep 2012 9:45PM GMT
Thank you! You have confirmed quite a bit and filled in some blanks for me. I have recently been told that Elberts father was not named Elbert, rather he was named Luke Melton and his wife Caroline. Not sure if that's accurate, but would be grateful for any other info you may have. If not, what you have given is a blessing. Thanks again. For clarity, I'm looking for info on Elbert's Father. Also looking for info on George Coffee born 1805.

Posted: 12 Sep 2012 9:47PM GMT
Cedell Amos Melton is my dad. His Dad was Cedell Francis Melton. On one of the cesus they have my dad simply as Amos Melton.

Posted: 12 Sep 2012 10:55PM GMT
Anticipate the surname distorion to "Milton"! Also anticipate "soundex" use by census enumerators. Two of my cousins (brother/sister) were enumerated incorrectly, but they retained the errors their entire lives. Illiteracy was a significant factor in early America thus the emphasis on recording educational levels on 1940 Census. Find Elbert "Milton" in 1880 Falls and learn both parents were born in Florida. Find the "Milton" family in 1870 and I believe the son identified as "Albert" could have been "Elbert"? I'm not related!

Posted: 13 Sep 2012 4:03AM GMT
Surnames: Melton, Coffee
Thank You...will do

Posted: 13 Sep 2012 5:45AM GMT
Surnames: Melton, Milton
Good points.
1860 census then suggests that our friend's ancestors were brought to Texas as slaves, probably by a Henry Melton born about 1791 in Georgia.
1850 places Henry Melton in Randolph County, Alabama with 3 slaves, 2 teenagers and an infant. Can't tell from the census how those 3 might relate to the slaves seen with Henry in 1860 Texas.

I'm very unfamiliar with slave records, but some research in Falls, Texas and Randolph, Alabama could possibly turn something up.

This tree (http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/40068240/person/19445299293/m...)
links to a couple of documents relating to the history of Henry Milton/Melton. If any slave records are found, some of the bits of info relating to Henry might help to sort them out.

Posted: 13 Sep 2012 6:09AM GMT
Surnames: Melton, Milton, Washington
Just looking again at the records with an eye toward that bit about Elbert's parents possibly being Luke and Caroline Melton.
The 1870 record in Falls is for Lucas (indexed as "Lenar") and Caroline Milton, son Albert age 14.
1910 shows 79 year old widow Caroline in Rosebud with daughter Luvina and 3 granddaughters. Also a boarder named Virginia Washington; perhaps another relative of Rosa. This suggests a hunt for an obituary and possibly old church records.

Posted: 13 Sep 2012 6:51AM GMT
Thank you, I have a newpaper article that touts my great grandmother Rosa Melton as the first negro settler in Bishop came from Rosebud, Texas. I think we may be on to something. Thank you for your help.

Posted: 13 Sep 2012 2:59PM GMT
Edited: 13 Sep 2012 3:06PM GMT
I've been doing this for so long until I'm able to recognize the "style" of contributors!(lol) We collaborated previously on the Lott/Ivey surnames in this same county. I revisited the posting and found additional info. W. G. Ivey married S. E. "Dunkins", 21 Oct or 8 Nov 1897, in Fannin County. She was Sallie Emma (nee: Duncan) Ivey (18 Mar 1881 - 13 Nov 1956). Two of her other daughters survived childbirth: Ruby May Chandler (5 Feb 1917 - 21 Sep 1971) and Emily L. E. Jones (31 May 1914 - May 1987). You were correct the sons: James Samuel Ivey (2 Oct 1898 - 25 Oct 1965) and John Henry Ivey (5 May 1902 - 29 Mar 1950). The mom's death certificate witnessed by Mrs. Howard Jones, aka Emily L. E. Ivey married to Howard. Emily L. E. Ivey/Howard Jones had Gertie Mae in Fannin County. Gertie Mae/Phillip Henry Wright had Larry Don, Gary Lon, and Deborah Sue in Fannin. Hope one of them reads this and respond with info? Sereniti, forgive me for digressing from your family?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic