Search for content in message boards

Willis Hicks m. Eleanor Simpson NC ca 1750

Willis Hicks m. Eleanor Simpson NC ca 1750

Ann Fourt (View posts)
Posted: 21 Aug 2003 4:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hicks, Simpson, Perkins, Reese
Am researching Willis Hicks & Eleanor Simpson as possible ancestors. Eleanor Simpson was a daughter of Richard Simpson who died Guilford Co. NC circa 1797, he mentioned grand-daughter Elizabeth Reese Hicks in his will.

Willis Hicks is on tax rolls of Burke Co. NC in 1784 same time as my Perkins ancestors. He also apparently went to TN on an expedition at one point early on. I would be especially interested in any connection to Solomon Perkins, who I am also researching. Solomon Perkins may have named one of his sons Daniel Reese Perkins (my ancestor).

Some researchers have Willis Hicks as a son of Absalom Hicks (son of Samuel Hicks & Diana Willis) and Mary Harris, but I'm wondering if my Willis wouldn't be a son of Samuel Hicks and Diana Willis (dates work much better). We may have two different Willis Hicks in Surry Co. NC (uncle and nephew)?

Simpsons have a REESE connection back in Baltimore Co. MD where my Perkinses were also. Elizabeth Reese Hicks interests me as a possible ancestor. The ancestor I'm looking for would have been born 1770-1775 and is known to have remarried in 1811 to Nathaniel Armstrong in Illinois, where she had several additional children. Her seven PERKINS children were teen-agers down to a toddler when she was widowed in 1808/9. There may have been an older daughter born in SC circa 1790 (listed on Census).

Willis Hicks migrated to Christian Co. KY where he died about 1812 leaving sons. Daughter mentioned in will but not named (don't you just hate that?). Perkinses were also in Christian Co. KY before moving to Livingston Co. KY (now Caldwell Co.). They left for Illinois in 1808.

In Tazewell Co. IL in early 1830s there is a Laban Hicks living near my Perkins ancestors ... am wondering if he might be connected to Willis Hicks in NC/KY earlier. Perhaps a grandson?

Does anyone know these HICKS?

Re: Willis Hicks m. Eleanor Simpson NC ca 1750

Posted: 1 Apr 2004 8:13AM GMT
Edited: 20 Apr 2004 10:25PM GMT
Surnames: Hicks
I am curious about Willis Hicks and Eleanor Simpson. I see that they are listed as having a son, James Hicks, who was born about 1779 (in Guilford County, NC?). I have been tracing a g-g-g-g-grandfather James Hicks who was born January 1779 in North Carolina. So far I have some fairly convincing evidence tieing him to Randolph County, North Carolina in 1806 when he was 26 or 27 years old. Randolph County broke off from Guilford County, North Carolina in 1779.

Curious what your Willis Hicks's will might say about his son James Hicks. Wondering if this might be the family I am trying to connect up with?

thanks
Roger Miller

Timothy Walls (View posts)
Posted: 1 Apr 2004 12:27PM GMT
I am also interested in this family. My HICKS were from Randolph County, NC. The only one I know of is my great great grandfather, William HICKS. Family legend implies that the father of my great grandfather died about 1863, so I think he was a soldier in the war. My WALL line has some interesting names in it: Solomon or Soloman WALL, who was a first cousin to Wiley WALL, my 3x great grandfather. There were other WALLs in RCNC: Willis WALL and Williamson WALL, but their relationship to Wiley is unknown. Thomas WALL also is a mystery but he appears to have been the Thomas WALL who was in Surry County NC in 1850 with wife Frances (LAMB) and sons whose names clearly were from RCNC as records show.

Tim Walls

Posted: 1 Apr 2004 7:44PM GMT
Edited: 20 Apr 2004 10:25PM GMT
Surnames: Hicks
Hi Tim

Do you know the birthdate of William Hicks? What is your exact connection of William Hicks to Randolph County, North Carolina?

Here is a simplified census list for Randolph County, NC for 1790, 1800 and 1810. There is a Willis and William Hicks mentioned in the 3 censuses.

1790 Census
Elizabeth Hicks pg.100
Joseph Hicks pg. 99
Robert Hicks pg.99
Willis Hicks pg. 100

1800 Census
Joseph Hix, pg.317, age 26-45
Joseph Hix, pg. 317, age16-18
Josiah Hix, pg. 319, age 16-26
Reuben Hix, pg. 319, 3m(0-10), 1m(16-26), 1f(0-10),
1f(10-16), 1f(16-26)
William Hix, pg. 321, age 16-26

1810 Census
Daves Hicks, pg. 167, age 26=45
William Hicks, pg. 167, age 26-45

bye
Roger Miller

Ann Fourt (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 2004 6:09PM GMT
Surnames: Hicks, Perkins, Casey
I have now determined that Elizabeth Reese Hicks is not my ancestor ... but I suspect there is still some connection between HICKS and PERKINS. In Illinois in the 1820 Census there is an Isaac Hicks; his wife was Rebecca Casey, daughter of Isaac Casey. Isaac Casey shows up in early Illinois by 1808, having migrated from Kentucky. I believe he was born in SC however.

CASEYs and PERKINS intermarried earlier in South Carolina and Elisha M. Perkins named one of his sons for Zadoc Casey, the first governor of Illinois.

I'm sorry but none of the HICKS that various people have listed in replies ring a bell with me.

Brenda J. (Bridges) Crane (View posts)
Posted: 21 Nov 2004 7:30AM GMT
Surnames: Hicks, Simpson
Hello Ann, Willis Hicks is my gggg-grandfather and I am searching for any info on him and his family. You mention you saw a will of his, Do you have a copy of this will and could you send me a copy of it or send me the site where you found it? I have been searching for my Hicks family for about 6 months and this would be the first solid info about his children. I`m not even sure if I have found all the children he had. So far I know he had Richard , Absolom, Willis, James and possible a Henry and Hannah so any info would be so helpfull. I am related through his son James Hicks My Email is BIRDLADYCJMO@aol.com. I hope to hear from you soon. Sincerely, Brenda J.(Bridges) Crane
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions