Search for content in message boards

Registration of Birth Index

Registration of Birth Index

Posted: 31 Oct 2012 8:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Nov 2012 12:26PM GMT
If for example someone was born on the 9th October 1894 could their registration be show in the July to September quarter index of 1894. I can see that logically this cannot be so but are there examples of the registration quarter index being open longer than they should be ie the July to September quarter index being open through part of October.

Re: Registration of Birth Index

Posted: 31 Oct 2012 10:56PM GMT
I have never come across such a case. But you could always buy the cert to prove me wrong.

Posted: 1 Nov 2012 12:09PM GMT
I agree with robmoff - I've never seen or heard of such a thing happening either. Could you give some background information to your request, as there could be other reasons for this apparent conflict?

Christine

Posted: 1 Nov 2012 12:50PM GMT
Thank you both for your replies.
Family Law said that my great uncle was killed by a runaway horse and cart when he was a child, his name was William Humphrey. I found 2 births one in Jul-Sep 1894 for William Arthur and one in Oct-Dec for William, a family Prayer Book has written in it that his birthday was 9th October. The 1901 census confirms we was born 1894. In 1905 I found the only death for a young William Humphrey between 1901 and 1911, his name William Arthur. In 1911 cencus William is not shown. The problem is that the birthday written conflicts with the evidence that my Great Uncle was William Arthur. I was clutching at straws realy, I expect I will have to spend out for at least one certificate.
John

Posted: 1 Nov 2012 3:40PM GMT
Classification: Birth
Surnames: Humphrey
Ah yes, I see your dilemma. It looks like applying for one or both of the birth certificates might be your only option. Assuming your William is definitely the one born in Maidstone (parents Alfred & Frances), the other William will presumably be the one born in Nettlestead (parents William & Elizabeth), whose baptism appears on familysearch.org on 9 Dec 1894, possibly implying his was the later birth.

Odd... you would think that an entry in a family bible was correct, so maybe this birth index entry *might* be the exception to the rule regarding registration quarters. It'd be interesting to find out. Sorry not to be able to help!

Christine

Posted: 1 Nov 2012 8:19PM GMT
Yes you have got it in one. I have ordered the first certificate I will let you know how it goes.
You have helped thank you.
John

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 9:29AM GMT
What a shame that I seem to get these messages from ancestry late. I cannot throw light on your dilemma but if I'd have got your message earlier would have told you to send for both certificates [multiple entry] stating the fathers name. It costs more for obvious reasons [but heaven forbid you've sent for the wrong one] but less than if you have to purchase the second one as well

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 9:58AM GMT
Thank you for your advice, which I will take if the need arises in the future.
Regards,
John

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 8:35PM GMT
It no longer costs more to specify conditions on a certificate application to the GRO. All certificates are now £9.25 including postage. The procedure for specifying conditions is a little clunky, though. You need to say "no" to the question "is the GRO reference known" (even if you do know it). You then get directed to a screen which allows you to enter things like a parent's name. If there is no match, your fee is refunded in full. Certificates ordered this way take a little longer - 15 days from order to despatch rather than 4.

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 9:49PM GMT
Thank you, an excellent tip.
John
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions