Search for content in message boards

ancestry.com is a fraud, and i know this for a fact.... my father

ancestry.com is a fraud, and i know this for a fact.... my father

Posted: 5 Dec 2002 5:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
My father died in 1980. I registered with this site to try to find my mother's father. Just to find out if they were legitimate, i searched thier so called social security death index for my father's name and turned up two results, neither of which were him. This site is a fraud, preying on the eagerness of people to find out where they came from. I am deeply disappointed and hope that everyone that comes here looking for answers realizes that this is not the place to look.

Sincerely,

Jessica L. Autry

Re: ancestry.com is a fraud, and i know this for a fact.... my father

Posted: 5 Dec 2002 6:19AM GMT
The Social Security Death Index is free. It was not created by ancestry.com. It's created by the US government.

Posted: 5 Dec 2002 7:09AM GMT
Jessica-

Not everyone is included in the SSDI which as has already been pointed out is compiled by the Social Security Admin. from their records and not by Ancestry. No subscription is needed to search the SSDI--although Ancestry pays thousands of dollars to obtain the SSDI and monthly updates, it does not charge researchers to search it. It is provided for free.

For a good explanation of the SSDI and how it works and why someone may not be included in it, see the RootsWeb Guide: http://rwguide.rootsweb.com/ The information can be found in lesson #10.

Joan

Posted: 8 Dec 2002 2:04AM GMT
Jessica, I feel bad that you've had such a terrible experience with Ancestry.

I searched for my father off and on for a couple of months before I finally stumbled across his record in the SSDI database.

My dad ALWAYS went by his first name and middle initial. But low and behold, way back when he got his SS card, he did NOT use his middle initial or name. I searched for forever using his middle name, his middle initial, but never came across it.

I do hope that you don't give up quite so easily, some of the databases are totally unforgiving in their searches, and a lot are a human's deciphering of 100 year old handwriting. I can look at some of the images and easily see Martin, but they have been indexed as Martan, or something.

Hang in three and I know that you will be more satisfied with what you can find here.

Regards,
Debra

Posted: 9 Dec 2002 2:42PM GMT
Most of the time I try to ignore these kind of broad ranging messages but ever once in a while I just can't.
Just because YOU can't find your father on the SSDI you have decided that an entire company - Ancestry.com - is a fraud.
My heavens.... first of all, Ancestry.com does not create nor maintain the SSDI database - the government does. They just make it available online for searching. There are lots of other sites out there that also have the SSDI available for searching. If you go there and can't find your father are you going to decide that those sites are frauds also?
The information on SSDI is only as good as the information that was submitted and the information that was entered. Both are dependent upon humans. The information on my father in the SSDI is incorrect - but that isn't Ancestry's fault. Also... not everyone is on the SSDI, even when we think they should be. That also is not Ancestry's fault.
Secondly, as already mentioned, searching via a computer database often takes creativity. A computer search is often unforgiving in terms of the need to search for the exact way in which data is entered. Try the advanced search on the SSDI and search for last name and location and see if you come up with another way in which your father might have been entered.
Does Ancestry have problems. You bet it does. But to judge them a "fraud" just because you can't find your father on the SSDI is going too far.

Thanks for listening,
Emma

Posted: 10 Dec 2002 1:20PM GMT
Edited: 19 Mar 2004 12:50AM GMT
Sigh....rookie

Posted: 24 Jan 2004 10:39PM GMT
Have you are anyone else that you know of had their credit card charged to renew a subscription after you have said No twice,and ancestry either hangs up on you are does not call back orcredit account. Please send this on as this is illegal. Thank you and best wishes on another site that is ethical.

martisiq (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jan 2004 12:59AM GMT
Either file a complaint with your State Attorney General or with your credit card company or both.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions