Search for content in message boards

DNA test : French = Southern European?

DNA test : French = Southern European?

Posted: 7 Aug 2012 11:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Aug 2012 1:22PM GMT
We just got the results of my grandpa's DNA test back: 53% Scandinavian, 36% Southern European, 11% uncertain. My grandpa was adopted so we have no idea of his ancestry, but given the place and time he was born it's fairly certain he's of French Canadian heritage. The high Southern European and total lack of Central European surprised me a bit. Anyone else of French ancestry getting high Southern European ethnicity percentages?

Re: French = Southern European?

Posted: 8 Aug 2012 4:11AM GMT
My maternal grandmother is 50/50 French and Italian. I had zero central European show up for me. It is entirely mathmatically possible that I could not have received any French DNA, however that seems very unlikely.

Re: French = Southern European?

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 3:21PM GMT
My ancestry on my mother's side that I have traced so far has been from France through Canada and on my father's side from the British Isles. My results were British Isles and Southern European - absolutely nothing from France, where I have traced ancestors back to the 1600's and 1500's. I wonder if thousands of years ago the Southern Euopeans migrated north?

Re: DNA test : French = Southern European?

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 4:51PM GMT
Edited: 7 Oct 2012 4:53PM GMT
My Father's line is predominately French and well traced. I also had only a Southern European result with relation to the French part. There is no trace at all in my lines of anything remotely southern EU so I too would like to know if that is actually a French result. I'm very dissapointed in the results, as mine made virtually no sense at all. Almost 50% Scandinavian with NO evidence of any in my lines, about 20% Southern EU again with NO evidence in lines and then a 14% South Asian ?!?!?!? My question to Ancestry was could the South Asian be tied to Native American Ancestry because that is the ONLY way it could fit into my heritage. It appears I am far from the only one with these issues and questions!

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 10:22PM GMT
What is now France was part of the Roman Empire once upon a time. My money is on - that is the origin of your Southern European roots.

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 10:38PM GMT
My mother is 100% French Canadian; my father is English & Irish. My DNA came back 52% British Isles; 28% Southern European; 14% Eastern European and 6% Uncertain. The French matches show up as Southern European. I haven't figured out the Eastern European and Uncertain. I'm keeping an open mind about the British Isles percentage, since most of my French lines trace back to Normandy and Brittany. Hope that helps.
Kathy Cronin

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 12:07AM GMT
Yes that is good to hear and thank you for the feedback. I was pretty convinced that the French was reflected in the Southern European but it is nice to have some confirmation. Now if I could just figure out the Southern Asian - that really threw me for a loop LOL!

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 12:30AM GMT
Does "Southern Asian" include the area that used to be called French Indo-China? Lots of French traders there and the Dutch were in the East Indies so who knows what snippet of genes from that region went back to Europe?

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 12:29PM GMT
Yes, both sides of my husbands family are "Cajun" from southwest Louisiana. His results showed 28% Southern European (Spain, Italy, Portugal) and 0% Central European (which I assume includes France?)

His family tree does show Spanish and Italian ancestors as well as French/Acadian.

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 12:37PM GMT
My husband's family is Cajun from southwest Louisiana, and all of his "French" surname matches also share the Southern European result. His results showed 28% Southern European, and 0% Central European. However, it does not surprise me that much because there were Spanish and Italian settlers in southwest Louisiana that intermarried with the Acadians. He has surnames like Ortego, Desoto (Spanish) and Agostino (Italian) in his tree along with all the French names.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions