Search for content in message boards

find someone whose name has changed

find someone whose name has changed

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 3:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
when my grandfather passed away in 2004 we found out that he had kept a secret from us all. My grandmother told us that my grandfather had changed his name so his name was not what we had thought. we had never met anyone from his family neither had my grandmother & i am just curious as to who my family is. so does anyone know of a way to find a person that has had their name changed.

Re: find someone whose name has changed

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 2:00PM GMT
Without knowing where in the world you and your family are from, it's difficult to give specific advice, but this is the first thing which springs to mind - is your grandmother still alive, because she might be able to give you very useful pointers.

For example, it would be helpful to know when your grandfather changed his name, i.e. was it before or after he married your grandmother? Probably stating the obvious, but does your grandmother know what his name was before he changed it, and why he changed it?

I apologise for any upset if your grandmother has since passed on, and in this case, it might be worth asking her children, or any of her remaining brothers and sisters if she had any, so that you have more of a frame of reference with which to work backwards.

I hope this helps a little. :-)

Christine

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 3:19PM GMT
If this was in England or Wales the death certificate should have any other names by which the deceased had been known; always providing that the informant knew......
The same SHOULD apply to his marriage certificate.

Posted: 24 Dec 2012 3:23AM GMT
I am from the us, My grandfather changed his name before he met my grandmother, he told her only a short time before his passing, we are unsure of how to spell the original last name as he never wrote it down. we have never met anyone at all from his side of the family. I just dont know where to begin.

Posted: 26 Dec 2012 2:42AM GMT
Did he use his original first name? Sometimes you can search by first name and date of birth to narrow down some possibilities. He may have changed only part of his surname, or kept it similar to the original, in which case a Soundex search may catch it.

If you want to post his name, DOB, etc. as you know it, someone may be able to assist.

Posted: 26 Dec 2012 2:30PM GMT
his name & date of birth as I know it was Frank Lee Mann 02-18-1909 in West Virginia death date was 01-29-2004 in WV.
my grandmother said he said his name was Jr. Mcneer not sure of the excact spelling or if the Jr. was junior or if he was a jr. or what. Any help would be very much appreciated.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions