Search for content in message boards

father's name on Marriage Certificates

father's name on Marriage Certificates

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 2:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Dec 2012 2:00AM GMT
Finding Marriage Certificates ,is becoming much greater in ancestry co.uk, but it is also throwing up another mystery. I have recently found two of my ancestors on Marriage certificates with their father listed and his occupation.
The dates shown are in 1849 and 1855. I was under the impression,that their fathers were dead in 1841. Why would they be listed in name and still working if they are deceased. Can anyone shed a light on this please. Was there a year that the word "deceased" started to be entered onto the certificates?

Re: father's name on Marriage Certificates

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 2:00AM GMT
Whether a father's name was entered or not depended upon the question asked. If the simple question was "What is your father's name?" the fact that he was dead may not have come up.

According to the extremely useful "England and Wales Marriage Certificate Information" at http://www.dixons.clara.co.uk/Certificates :

"If the father of the bride or a groom has died by the time of the marriage then it should say 'deceased' under his name but this is not a very reliable item."

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 10:23AM GMT
Thank you for your replies.I guess I will have to act on what I know for sure. Many Thanks MC

Posted: 8 Dec 2012 12:48AM GMT
The listing showing the profession does not indicate that the individual is still alive. If the person is dead, it shows the profession at the time they died. Sometimes the word deceased might be added, sometimes not.

Not all forms are completed uniformly according to the rules.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic