Search for content in message boards

Greek Community in St. Louis ca.1910

Greek Community in St. Louis ca.1910

Karen Hergenrider (View posts)
Posted: 24 Sep 2002 2:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for anyone who is researching the Greek immigrants from the early 1900's through the 1920's. I have found a few BIRBILIS men who all moved to what looks like 206 W 56th, St. Louis - on the Ellis Island site. The manifest image isn't very clear & I'm not familiar with the area at all. They were from Psathopirgos, which is the village "my" BIRBILIS family is from. I would like to find out where they ended up.

Any ideas on the best way to research them would be appreciated.

Re: Greek Community in St. Louis ca.1910

Georgia Clark (View posts)
Posted: 24 Sep 2002 5:12PM GMT
Dear Karen,

I would start with censuses since Missouri censuses have the soundex/miracode for 1900, 1910 & 1920.

Also, you can ask the St. Louis Public Library for copies of the city directories. See following website.

http://www.slpl.lib.mo.us/libsrc/geneinfo.htm

Also, check out the obits that have been indexed for the POst-Dispatch. It is one of the links on the above website.

Maybe try finding a church that they may have belonged to? I am assuming that they would be Greek Orthodox. If by chance they were Catholic, the St. Louis Archdiocesean (spelling?) records are on microfilm and available thru the Mormon church.

Re: Greek Community in St. Louis ca.1910

Georgia Clark (View posts)
Posted: 24 Sep 2002 5:15PM GMT
Dave Lossos' website has a lot of information for researching St. Louis.

http://genealogyinstlouis.accessgenealogy.com/

You might want to try joining the St. Louis mailing list.

MO-STLOUIS-METRO-L@rootsweb.com

Wonderful LInk

Karen Hergenrider (View posts)
Posted: 24 Sep 2002 6:01PM GMT
Thank you for the great link!

Msg for Karen Hergenrider

Posted: 25 Sep 2002 12:27PM GMT
Edited: 1 May 2003 5:56PM GMT
Regarding the photo you posted on the Brooklyn Board (I couldn't find your email address there), I have some info that might be useful in dating the photo. Contact me at:
joel.weiner@jhuapl.edu
per page

Find a board about a specific topic