Search for content in message boards

Wolf clan

Wolf clan

Elsie Retzer (View posts)
Posted: 20 Feb 2004 5:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Seeking information on Leroy markham, who was the father of Carter Daniel Marken who was the father of S. C. Markham who I think could be Sarah Markham who married Thomas Goodman
On the LDS site gives two or three different places but says Cherokee wolf clan one place was polk Co Tn, one one was in Ark and one was somewhere else?
Any info out there?
Elsie

Carter D MARKHAM

Posted: 22 Feb 2004 3:15PM GMT
Edited: 2 Sep 2004 6:59AM GMT
Elsie

This is not the same family as the one you are researching.

Carter MARKHAM was born abt 1845, son of Leroy MARKHAM and Eliza WEST.
Carter married Elizabeth ADAIR, they removed west to the Cherokee Nation, where their children were born in the 1880's.
Fortner, Beatrice, Dewitt, David (Hogan) Earle, Lucille.
They are well documented, thru Emmett Starr and the Dawes Final Rolls.

It might be an idea to pursue your search for Thomas GOODMAN and Sarah MARKHAM thru TN Federal Records for the counties they resided in.

Kathy Roberts
VA
Posted: 22 Feb 2004 3:33PM GMT
.................forgot to add this........

Thomas GOODMAN + Sarah MARKHAM
Married November 27 1870 Perry Co TN
Copy of marriage record is available.

Census 1880 Perry Co TN
District 4

GOODMAN
T M 31 W M
S C 28 W F
Robert L 6 W M
Mary L 6 W F
George N 4 W M
John W 1 W M

All born TN
Thomas and Sarah's parents all born TN

Let me know if you find any more info on the MARKHAM family, they may connect to the Bedford Co VA MARKHAM's.

KR

Re: Carter D MARKHAM

Posted: 22 Feb 2004 8:13PM GMT
Thanks, have been doing that too, I was on the LDS site and ran Sarah as she was listed after she married the Goodman, in the Goodman one her mom was listed as being from Ar
I ran it as S. C. Markham and came up with Carter Markam as her father in AR. I ran Ar. and came up with no Carter ,,,so I went back to the LDS site and ran his name, Must be a different line, know Sarah was cherokee, Know Thomas was some? these Goodmans are hard to find and the Markhams are worse!
Thanks again
Elsie

GOODMAN MARKHAM TN

Posted: 23 Feb 2004 2:24PM GMT
Elsie

LDS is a great site, but it's always best to check any info you find there with actual records

By the late 1700's/early 1800's the Cherokee People had ceded their lands in what is now TN and by the time Thomas GOODMAN and Sarah MARKHAM were born, the Cherokees had been removed west of the Mississippi.

If you can get a copy of Thomas and Sarah's marriage record, that will confirm who their parents were.

Check the Perry Co census for 1850 and 1860. Lots of GOODMANs.

Good Luck
KR

Re: GOODMAN MARKHAM TN

Posted: 23 Feb 2004 6:39PM GMT
Thank you soooo much for all the help. I looked when I was in Perry Co and didn't come up with a copy of thier marriage, If I say if her mom was from Ar. I problay should check more there BUT got to come up with a name first.you know once you start up this these trees there is no stopping ha ha
Thanks again
Elsie

Posted: 8 Aug 2005 7:18PM GMT
I realize this is responding to very old query but just in case, and also for anyone else exploring this line of inquiry...

{{The following data has been sourced (for the overall family, including Carter Daniel) in the Federal &/or Cherokee Nation census from 1860 through 1900.}}

Leroy Markham was white, b. 1810, TN (1860 Fed Census, Indian Lands west of AR. pg 1169)
He was married to Eliza West, a 1/4 blood Cherokee (Starr, *History of the Cherokee Indians & Their Legends and Folk Lore*)
Carter Daniel Markham was one of five children born to this marriage. He was born in 1845, in Indian Territory, (Indian Lands west of Arkansas) he was 1/8 blood Cherokee. And of the Wolf clan via his mother.

(Note: There is a second Leroy Markham which I stumbled on in 1870, CALIFORNIA, SANTA BARBARA county, LAS CRUCES P O, Page: 507:
(Leroy Markham, 35, white, TN, shepherd
(Margarita, 19, white (possibly Spanish), CA, keeping house)

Carter was married to Mary Huffaker (b. c1850), a mixed blood Cherokee, by whom he fathered five children, none were Sarah.
(children were: Ruth A., Eliza, George, James C., Walter A.)

Carter was also likely married to Eliza Adair, another mixed blood Cherokee, by whom he fathered six additional children, none were Sarah.
(Children were Fortner C., Beatrice, DeWitt, David Hogan, Earl Byrne, Lucille E.)

He enrolled under the Dawes Commission (#15757) and received payment under the Court of Appeals settlement (Guion MIller Roll), application #14096.

This data is from:
(1) 1860 Federal census, Indian Lands west of Arkansas
(2) Dr. Emmet Starr, History of the Cherokee Indians & Their Legends and Folk Lore,
(3) 1880 Cherokee Nation Census, transcribed by Barbara Benge
(4) 1890 Cherokee Nation Census, transcribed by Barbara Benge
(5) Dawes Roll "Plus" compiled by Bob Blankenship
(6) Miller Roll "Plus" compiled by Bob Blankenship

There was also a Jacob West Markham who married Charlotte Belle West d/o Ellis West & Clara Buffington. This couple had three children together: Susanm b. 1872, Sally, b. 1875, and J. W. born 1877.
Only Sarah survived into adulthood. Her census # was 2500.
Jacob was a brother of Carter Danel Markham
vd sources 2, 3,4

There was also a Sarah Markham, b. c1870, enrolled under Freedman Census #794. Her parents were Fred(b. 1836) & July (b. 1830) Markham, both classified as "adopted Colored".
vd srce 3

Posted: 8 Aug 2005 7:26PM GMT
Thank you for all the information,
Elsie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic