Search for content in message boards

TOSNEY surname

TOSNEY surname

Posted: 5 Oct 2004 11:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: TOSNEY, COLEMAN, HEFFERNAN, DEVLIN
I am searching for any info on the TOSNEY name from County Sligo Ireland. My Tosneys' ended up in Minnesota, but spent some time in some of the Eastern States of the US before coming west.

Re: TOSNEY surname

vanessa (View posts)
Posted: 14 Oct 2004 9:16PM GMT
Surnames: torsney
hello my name is vanessa torsney and my grandad was from county sligo in ireland, and my torsneys ended up in a town called dewsbury, west-yorkshire, england! maybe we are related some how, if you would like to contact me my email address is on the top!

Posted: 15 Feb 2005 8:13PM GMT
Hello
My name is Jim Hawksworth, my great great grandfather was Thomas Tosney born in Sligo about 1833.
His daughter Ellen was born in Sheffield 1868, her siblings, all born in Shefffield, include John, Mary, Thomas, Annie, Catherine, James, and Margaret.
It would be good to hear from any possible cousins.

vanessa (View posts)
Posted: 20 Feb 2005 4:20PM GMT
hi i am really sorry but my grandad patrick torsney was born in 1920's i think if remember rightly anyway, i hope you find some of your cousins though, i have been lookin for a long time for any family members on my grandad's side, but unfortunatley i have had no luck, i hope things work better for you

Posted: 19 May 2007 9:01AM GMT
Surnames: Tosney/Shaw
Hi Jim

My great great grandfather was also a Tosney, James born in Ballymote?, Sligo around 1833. He turns up on the 1851 census in Skipton under the name of James Shaw, a drover and then over subsequent cenus in Skipton the family appear sometimes as Tosneys and sometimes as Shaws - very mysterious!

Could James be related to your Thomas?

Regards

Peter

Posted: 19 May 2007 12:22PM GMT
Surnames: Tosney, Devlin, Shea, Heffernan
Hi Peter

My Tosney's were also from Balleymote, came to the US in the 1800's. So far I have 2 families came to the US about the same time but don't know how they are related yet. I haven't had much time for reseach lately. My guess is that the Tosney's in England are also from the same family.

Diane Tosney - Minnesota, USA

Posted: 12 Jun 2007 2:50PM GMT
Hi,

My husbands grandfather was from Skipton in Yorkshire, his name was John Tosney and he was born around 1910. His only child is Philip Tosney who lives in Cheshire. My husband is Neal and we live in West Sussex, England.

A number of years ago a friend traced the Tosney name back to a General Robert De Tosney in the norman invasion of 1066!

Mear Tosney - West Sussex, England

Posted: 15 Jun 2007 12:57PM GMT
Hello Diane,

Are you doing a TOSNEY surname study or are you searching for specific records for your Tosney ancestors who you believe originated from Ballymote in County Sligo?

If you're doing a TOSNEY surname study, the TOSNEY surname board would probably be most helpful to you.

Regards.
Eilis O'Hara

Posted: 24 Aug 2010 3:50PM GMT
Surnames: torsney
Hi Vanessa, your grandad was my uncal.His mum was called bridget(ne;Barrett) and his dad was called jeramiah Torsney
they had 14 children all born in county sligo and my mum bernadette was one of his sisters.I live in his old house in staincliffe batley.email me if you would like to know anything else if i can help i will x

Posted: 16 Mar 2013 5:31PM GMT
Surnames: Tosney
Hi, I don't have much information on my Irish side "the tosneys" my grandad was very secretive about any information, but what I do know from my mum and nanna is they came over from count silgo, my grandad John Tosney was born in the uk, my mum has mentioned he had an uncle called Jeremiah Tosney who's death certificate my auntie currently has.
I have been wanting to find out so much information about my roots as I'm wanting to visit Count Silgo in the near future

Sorry I can't give any info

Kimberley Tosney
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions