Search for content in message boards

River question of near Cromwell, Ky?

River question of near Cromwell, Ky?

Joe Taylor (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2006 12:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GREEN RIVER FERRY SERVICE
Time period JULY 4, 1908, place the Green River close to Cromwell, Ohio County, Kentucky....it is reported that there was a ferry service called BOARD'S.... since I never spent any time to speak of in the area I do not know.... if this is correct or is it possible that the ferry service in question would have been the BORAN ferry service??

Re: River question of near Cromwell, Ky?

Paul Rearden (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2006 4:54AM GMT
Joe:

In the February 2006 issue of the Kentucky Explorer Magazine there appears a picture of the Board's Ferry on the Green River near Cromwell, Ohio County, Kentucky. The picture was dated July 4, 1908. It indicates that Clarance Amos ran the ferry for several years. The picture was sent to the Kentucky Explorer by Martine Jackson of Hartford, Ky. She is the granddaughter of Clarance Amos.

Paul

Oscar Embry (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2006 5:19AM GMT
Joe

From the book BEAVER DAM'S FIRST 100 YEARS

The ferryboat is no longer in operation. It operated on the Green River between Cromwell and Logansport. It was known as Borah's Ferry ans was owned by the Martin family before it closed.

dated April 17, 1970 > date of reprint

Other Ferryboats

Oscar Embry (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2006 5:45AM GMT
The oldest ferryboat still operating on Kentucky's state primary system, The Valley View Toll Ferry, is probably the oldest continuously operating business in Kentucky.
The ferry's history began before Kentucky became a state.
The Valley View Ferry operates under a ferry privilage granted by the Virginia Legislaturein 1785.

Wilma Givens operates the Rodchester Ferry on Ky. 369 across the Green River in Ohio and Butler Counties.

The Point Pleasant Ferry on Ky. 85 across the Green River in Ohio and McLean Counties is operated by Clyde Kessinger

reprint April 17, 1970

Joe Taylor (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2006 6:07AM GMT
Surnames: Boran Ferry at Cromwell, ky
Thanks for confirming the name of the service.... a photo taken on 4 July 1908 was sent to me, will post it on the photo site this evening...
Major thanks...

Janice C Brown (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jan 2006 12:35PM GMT
Hi Joe. It was called Borah's Ferry and I don't know if there was more than one Borah's Ferry or not, but my ancestor, Thomas Smith and James Leach, serving in the Cromwell Home Guards, were captured there by the Confederates on New Year's Day 1862, while guarding the Ferry during the Civil War. Thomas Smith lived between Select and Cromwell. They were taken to Maryland and imprisoned.

James Borah was born Dec 18, 1847, near Borah's Ferry, Butler County. His parents were Willis and Margaret (Austin) Borah. His grandfather, George Borah, a native of Pennsylvania, was an extensive land owner in the county and established and gave his name to the ferry across the Green River, known as Borah's Ferry.

(See his biographical sketch in "Kentucky: A History of the State" by Perry, Battle & Kniffen, 2nd ed, 1985)

Janice C Brown (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jan 2006 12:39PM GMT
Correction to my quote: The book, "Kentucky: A History of the State" was published in 1885, not 1985.

Billy C. Morris (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jan 2006 7:57PM GMT
Joe, the only name I remember it being called was Board's ferry. I have no idea when it closed, but guess its closing was about the time the new bridge over 231 was built. It was still running in 1950 when I left Ohio County. I drove down to the site a couple years ago to see what was there. The road leading down to the river is being used to launch boats now. A couple of trailers was parked in the field that day. The road is not maintained.

Posted: 22 May 2007 3:05AM GMT
Surnames: Stewart
Joe - in coming late to this board - you guys probably already know this stuff, but. . .

I spoke to my mother, who is still living in the area. They knew this ferry as "Martin's Ferry" - maybe because the Martin family ran it. It was running at least in the mid to late 1960's because I remember riding on it as a child. It's no longer in operation.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic