Search for content in message boards

James Willis of Jackson Co., Alabama

James Willis of Jackson Co., Alabama

Tom Landers (View posts)
Posted: 7 Sep 2001 2:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WILLIS, ISBELL
I'm looking for ancestors of James WILLIS, born 1827 in Paint Rock, Jackson Co., and died between 1870-1880 in Jackson Co., Al. He married Margaret ISBELL, born Mar. 24, 1829 in Jackson Co., Al. Any information on this family will be appreciated. Tom tlanders@hiwaay.net

Re: James Willis of Jackson Co., Alabama

Cheryl Willis Walker (View posts)
Posted: 10 Sep 2001 12:47AM GMT
My gggrandfather was born in Jackson Co AL about 1821. His name was Francis M. Willis.
I see that your relative was from Jackson Co. AL with the same last name. I have no info on siblings or parents of my Francis. I was just hoping you had some info to share with me. Francis M. Willis was married to a Rachael or Sarah
(i have 2 different names listed in census reports).He had 2 children Manerva born 1846 and Francis Marion born 1848.
Francis M. fought in the civil war and was discharged in 1863 in Clifton,TN. Maybe these 2 were brothers or cousins??
Would love to hear form you.
Cheryl Willis Walker

Tom Landers (View posts)
Posted: 10 Sep 2001 2:10AM GMT
Surnames: Willis, Isbell
I do not know any of James Willis' siblings or parents. He had two sons that settled in Lawrence Co., Al., Calvin Cevier, (my ggrandfather) and James Monroe. This all I know about this family.

James Willis1 was born in 1827 in Paint Rock, Jackson Co., Al.. He died Bet. 1870-1880 in Jackson Co., Al..

James married Margaret Isbell2. Margaret was born on Mar 24 1829 in Jackson Co., Al..

They had the following children:

Susannah J. Willis was born in 1847.

* Calvin Cevier Willis was born on Sep 12 1849 and died on Nov 10 1924.

John Henry Willis3 was born in 1851 in Jackson Co., Al..

Mary Arezine Willis was born on Mar 24 1855 and died on Jul 10 1914.

Nancy A. Willis4 was born in 1858 in Jackson Co., Al..

James Monroe Willis was born on Nov 23 1861 and died on Mar 27 1941.

William Z. Willis5 was born in 1864 in Jackson Co., Al..

Ann Willis6 was born in 1867 in Jackson Co., Al..

Shannon Ostrower (View posts)
Posted: 5 Oct 2001 5:40PM GMT
Hello,
My family (Willis) settled Jackson County back in the early 1820's from Hawkin's County, TN. I have a James, born November 14, 1838, died March 23, 1863. I have come across this James before and there has to be a connection with my family somewhere along the line.
Please e-mail me.
Shannon

Shannon Ostrower (View posts)
Posted: 5 Oct 2001 5:44PM GMT
Hi Cheryl,
Saw your e-mail, and would like to hear from you. The more I hear about other Willis's in Jackson County, leads me to believe that maybe a brother came down with my ancestor from Hawkins County, TN.
Please write,
Shannon

Cheryl (View posts)
Posted: 5 Oct 2001 8:20PM GMT
Shannon,
I don't know anything except what I have posted on the board here.
I think my Willis's went to middle and west Tn. Is Hawkins Co. in East Tn?
Francis M. Willis died in Wayne Co. Tn and fought in the war in west TN.
I wish I could find a connection somewhere. I can't get anywhere past Francis M. Willis born 1821 in Jackson Co.
AL.
If want to share info I will be glad to.
Email me: larrynw@bellsouth.net
Cheryl

Posted: 24 Jan 2003 11:59PM GMT
Edited: 12 Apr 2005 3:40AM GMT
Could you tell me who Jame's parents and siblings are? I wonder if my ggrand father George Preston Willis may be related.

Posted: 21 Jul 2012 11:58PM GMT
Hi
I am a direct descendent of James Willis, the one that you reference.

I would be happy to share information with you

Posted: 22 Jul 2012 12:05AM GMT
Anyone is welcome to contact me regarding James Willis. My research has found a link between James Willis, Sarah Willis and Jeremiah Willis in Jackson County.

It appears as though Jeremiah Willis died sometime after the 1830 census. Sarah Willis and the children living with her appear in the 1840 census in the same physical, geographical location that Jeremiah Willis held in the census for Jackson County.

Has anyone else confirmed the link between Jeremiah and Sarah Willis?

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 9:35PM GMT
I am researching the Jeremiah Willis family. I would appreciate any help you can give me on this line. I know a lot about a man named Gardner who I believe to be the son of Jeremiah and Sarah.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic