Search for content in message boards

written marriage certificates

written marriage certificates

Posted: 6 Mar 2013 10:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have now received quite a collection of marriage certificates through the register offices, and at one point i was amazed to think that the copy i was looking at had my gg grandfathers signature on it.
however, one day it dawned on me that the writing that the ceritifcate had been filled out with was the same writing as the signature. of both husband and wife.
when i married the vicar filled in the certificate and my husband and i each signed it, there appears to be no difference in the handwriting at all on most of my certificates i have ordered. Why would this be?

Re: written marriage certificates

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 12:31AM GMT
Because three copies of the certificate are created at the time of the wedding - one for you, one for the church to keep and one for sending to the superintendent registrar. The last one is filled in by the person conducting the marriage, not signed by the parties.

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 8:32AM GMT
What the last person said is correct this is also the case in a registaer's you sign a book then the registrae fills in the rest. You can go to your local library [if they have the facility] and get a photocopy off fisch or microfilm of the one signed by your relatives.

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 12:37PM GMT
Currently, in our group of C of E churches the bride, groom, witnesses and priest have to sign four copies of the marriage entry, i.e.

- the 2 marriage registers which are kept by the church until they're full, then one is sent to the local register office;

- the marriage certificate which the couple keep;

- the copy of the marriage entry on the return document which is sent to the register office at the end of the quarter.

It used to be the case that all the signatories signed only the 2 registers and the marriage certificate. The quarterly return was filled in afterwards by the church warden, but it has become so difficult to fathom the signatures of the witnesses and indeed of the priest, whose names aren't written out anywhere else, that we get them to sign this form too now.

When you order a copy of a marriage certificate from a register office, it will be taken from the register if it has already been sent in, or from the quarterly returns if it hasn't. If it's from the register, the signatures on the orginal should be genuine, BUT it then very much depends on how your copy of the certificate is created as to whether you see the originals or not. Until relatively recently, all registrars have copied out the details by hand when certificates have been ordered, but some now have the facility to photocopy the original register. It's only if you get a photocopy that the signatures stand a good chance of being those of the bride and groom.

Christine

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 5:29PM GMT
Thankyou for the replies.
I now have an understanding of all of this.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions