Search for content in message boards

Samuel Leckie

Samuel Leckie

Posted: 8 Nov 2012 3:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Leckie Lackey Leckey
My ancestor Samuel Leckie b1822 Ireland (Leckey or Lackey) is recorded in the Scottish census in 1851 with wife Mary Ann Chambers b1817 Ireland and Samuel's sister Margaret Leckie B1835 Ireland. I would like to trace their roots in Ireland but that's all the information I have. Samuel is not on the 1881 census so I suspect he died sometime after 1871, or went back to Ireland. I cannot find death cert's in Scotland or marriage cert. Can anyone help me with this?

Re: Samuel Leckie

Posted: 8 Nov 2012 6:51PM GMT
If Samuel and Mary Ann had any children born in Scotland in 1855 or from 1860 onwards, the date and place of their marriage should be recorded on the children’s birth certificates. If that was in Ireland, then obviously that will help you narrow the search for their roots.

Check all the Scottish censuses for the family in case it gives an exact place of birth in Ireland, rather than just Ireland. Sometimes it does.

There’s a death for Mary Ann Lackie formerly Chambers, in Dalmellington 1870, aged 53. GROS 586/00 0139. Might be worth checking to see if that’s your Mary Ann. It should tell you whether her husband was still alive at that time, and so narrow the search for his death. You should also get her parents names which may help you.

Posted: 9 Nov 2012 11:50AM GMT
Thank you for the advice, I hadn't thought to check all the birth certs of their children, they were all born in Scotland so I should be able to find them. And I will check the census records too - the snapshot you get on ancestry is very limited in detail. The death for May Ann Lackie sounds promising as they were in Dalmellington, so I'll check that too. I do find that sometimes when I search for BMD's I can get nothing & then other days I end up finding what I want!
Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Posted: 9 Nov 2012 1:32PM GMT
In my opinion, the site to use for Scottish births, deaths & marriages and all the censuses is Scotlandspeople.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/welcome.aspx

Statutory registration of births started in Scotland in 1855. In that first year the birth certs contained extra information eg how many children the parents already had, plus where and when they married. So if there was a child born that year, you should definitely look for that cert. Then, as I understand it, they dropped all the extra information for the years 1856 to 1859, but from 1860 onwards resumed recording where and when the parents married.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions