Search for content in message boards

1843 Birth Certificate

1843 Birth Certificate

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 1:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Pritchard
Hi there, I've just received a birth certificate for Rachel Pritchard. The correct father and mother. But the sex is "Boy". Has anyone ever came across anything like this? Is it just a "typo"?

On the BMD index, it stakes the certificate is for "Rachel" and gone over the certificate 100 times, thinking that it could read "Richard" instead. But it's definitely "Rachel".
Attachments:

Re: 1843 Birth Certificate

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 5:12PM GMT
Hi,
'Phone,if possible and ask for a check on the sex,and if they are wrong at the register office ask for a relacement.

Regards

Sandra

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 5:36PM GMT
Classification: Birth
Wolfie,
As Rachel appears in the 1851 and 1861 census records (albeit with her age a year too high) as a girl and gets married to a man then the "Boy" must be a clerical error made when they were making the copy to send to London.

If you want you could get a copy of the original from the local Registrar.
You might also be able to find a baptism record, which may state the sex of the child.

Bryan

Posted: 15 Mar 2013 7:48AM GMT
Thanks very much for the advise Bryan. I don't live in the West Mids at the moment, but I'll have to get myself to the registry office when I'm next visiting family.

It certainly baffled me when I opened that envelope.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions