Search for content in message boards

Cemetery in Hancock

Cemetery in Hancock

Posted: 30 Oct 2006 7:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Will be visiting Maine next summer with my stepson who wants to visit the graves of his grandparents William George and Margaret Ella Leighton Collins. Years ago I visited their plot in a cemetery in the town of Hancock. I wonder if someone can provide me the name of the cemetery from the rather skimpy description of the place as I remember it. The cemetery was located just off a main road in the town of Hancock. There was a large granite memorial to veterans on that road and near that monument we made a turn off the main road and went a short distance down a dirt road to the cemetery which was fairly large. From the cemetery we could see through the trees to a large body of water--don't know if it was a river, bay, or lake. Would be very grateful if anyone can suggest a name.

Re: Cemetery in Hancock

Daryl Grant (View posts)
Posted: 3 Nov 2006 12:39AM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Gloria,

The name of that cemetery is the Riverside Cemetery.
If your looking for information in Hancock, get in contact with Lois Johnson, she runs the Hancock Historical Society.

My faily settled there in 1783. I have relatives buried in that cemetery and a couple names even appear on that Civil War Memorial that you mentioned.

Daryl Grant

Gloria Smith (View posts)
Posted: 3 Nov 2006 1:15PM GMT
Daryl,
Thanks so much for the name of Riverside Cemtery. I do remember walking around the Civil War monument reading names. You have quite a long family history in Hancock County. I am just starting to do a little research for my stepson but I believe he has the surnames Collins, Bridges, and Bryant in Hancock County. Thanks again for your help.
Gloria

Daryl Grant (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 2006 1:00AM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Gloria,

You need t o get in touch with Lois Johnson. She has all the history for Hancock and most likely will be able to help you out more.

Daryl

Posted: 5 Nov 2006 5:06PM GMT
Gloria,
the cemetery you are asking about is the Riverside Cemetery. My wife has family buried there and are also listed on the monument in the town square.

her family names are Grant,Moon,Thorsen,Linscott,Martin,Gatcomb

Posted: 13 Nov 2006 6:32PM GMT
Daryl is correct, Gloria...Lois (Crabtree) Johnson is the Curator of the Town of Hancock's Historical Society--is crackerjack on the topic.

That's Riverside Cemetery; and is located on (duh) Cemetery Rd. (out behind the Hancock Elementary School & its baseball field! ) off of Rt. 1 in town.

It's closed during the wintertime; but is fairly well kept up during the rest of the year (in comparison to some cemeteries in ME).

Lois does not use a computer, so call/write to her.

Two-three of my familial lines settled in Hancock (it was originally part of Sullivan), also (Wooster, Crabtree, etc.)--know the area...sorta.

fmi:

http://ellsworthme.org/tauntonbay/officers.html

Have fun, Gloria!

Pax~Holly Macomber

Gloria Smith (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 2006 1:09PM GMT
Thanks so much for your reply and good information. I will contact Lois Johnson. My stepson Jim is a novice to genealogy but really wants to learn more about his mother's family--the Collins and Leightons-- and see his grandparent's graves in Riverside Cemetery when we visit Maine next summer so I'm doing some preliminary work for him chasing through census records, etc. Jim's mother who is the Collins-Leighton descendent has been very helpful but really doesn't know much about her family but is quite interested. My husband, Jim's father, passed away several years ago but had taken me on two wonderful trips to Maine and both times we stopped at Riverside to pay his respects to his former in-laws.
I have not done any Maine research in many years and it is a refreshing break from trying to sort out my own Pennsylvania Dutch ancestors! Thanks so much for your help.
Gloria Smith

Posted: 4 May 2007 1:44PM GMT
Surnames: Leighton, Collins
Gloria:

What were the names (and towns of death) for your stepson Jim's *mother's* biological family (Margaret Ella Leighton)--i.e., was she from/raised in Hancock (and did her biological family die in Hancock, also)--or was Hancock related moreso to her marital life in later years?

Town of death & of actual burial isn't always exactly the same.

Any Harrington lines in Margaret's biologically given Leighton surname (i.e., sailors, etc.)?

Here's their marriage data (might cross reference it w/the ME State Archives, for accuracy):

http://tinyurl.com/2c9ztm

The Leighton surname is fairly common (esp. coastal Hancock & Washington Counties); however, people also moved around quite a bit (still do, for that matter)...some were/are buried in their town of birth--some choose an alternative.

Did Jim's Margaret Ella Leighton Collins die in Caribou, ME; and was thereafter, buried in Hancock @Riverside Cemetery, perchance?

http://tinyurl.com/2uj6fk

Either way--need more specificity--go to ME State Archives, fmi:

http://www.maine.gov/sos/arc/

Ask Jim if Margaret's biological parent's names were Herbert N. Leighton & Velma Kossuth McKenzie (might have hailed from the Harrington area).

I'll be going down to Hancock County this month to do some cemetery (Riverside) Memorial Day prep stuff--it isn't a huge cemetery...if you can give me more explicit info on the Leighton/Collins's clan's names which would appear on the headstones & markers, I'll snap a few digital pics; & upload them onto my Photobucket account/embed a corresponding URL.

Thanks~

Posted: 4 May 2007 1:48PM GMT
Surnames: Leighton, Collins
Gloria:

What were the names (and towns of death) for your stepson Jim's *mother's* biological family (Margaret Ella Leighton)--i.e., was she from/raised in Hancock (and did her biological family die in Hancock, also)--or was Hancock related moreso to her marital life in later years?

Town of death & of actual burial isn't always exactly the same.

Any Harrington lines in Margaret's biologically given Leighton surname (i.e., sailors, etc.)?

Here's their marriage data (might cross reference it w/the ME State Archives, for accuracy):

http://tinyurl.com/2c9ztm

The Leighton surname is fairly common (esp. coastal Hancock & Washington Counties); however, people also moved around quite a bit (still do, for that matter)...some were/are buried in their town of birth--some choose an alternative.

Did Jim's Margaret Ella Leighton Collins die in Caribou, ME; and was thereafter, buried in Hancock @Riverside Cemetery, perchance?

http://tinyurl.com/2uj6fk

Either way--need more specificity--go to ME State Archives, fmi:

http://www.maine.gov/sos/arc/

Ask Jim if Margaret's biological parent's names were Herbert N. Leighton & Velma Kossuth McKenzie (might have hailed from the Harrington area).

I'll be going down to Hancock County this month to do some cemetery (Riverside) Memorial Day prep stuff--it isn't a huge cemetery...if you can give me more explicit info on the Leighton/Collins's clan's names which would appear on the headstones & markers, I'll snap a few digital pics; & upload them onto my Photobucket account/embed a corresponding URL.

Thanks~

Posted: 8 May 2007 9:34PM GMT
Thank you so much for the good information on the Collins/Leighton families in Hancock County.
As I mentioned, my stepson Jim is quite interested in his maternal grandparents. His mother is helpful but really knows little about her family.
Here is what I have discovered. Jim's grandparents are William George Collins and his wife Margaret Ella Leighton. William and Margaret were married 4 April 1940 in Bar Harbor and lived at various places in Hancock County during their married life. They are buried together in Riverside Cemetery in Hancock.
William George Collins was born in Verona in Hancock County. His name at birth was Ira Lester Bridges but he was adopted by William T. Collins and his wife Matilda S. (Tilly) Doyle who were from Caribou in Aroostook County.
Margaret Ella Leighton was born in Edmunds in Washington County, Maine and was the daughter of Allan J. Leighton who was born at Whiting in Washington County and his wife Mattie B. Bryant who was born at Treat's Island in Washington County.
I am currently working my way through census records and hopefully we will be in Maine in July and will be able to spend a few hours on research while there.
Anything Collins/Leighton/Bridges stones you might spot at Riverside Cemetery would be very helpful. As far as I know William George Collins and Margaret Ella Leighton Collins are the only family members buried there but there may be others.
Thanks so much for your help.
Gloria
per page

Find a board about a specific topic