Griffith/Griffey/Griffy of Floyd & Pike County, KY and VA

Griffey

Mary Adkins Pinion (View posts)
Posted: 24 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Pinion, Music, Thompson, Setser, Clay
Hello, this may be the same line as my husbands;

George Griffey m. Matilda Lon Childers
Zella Griffey b 3-1883 m. Wm Birchfield (Burchell)

Lula Florence Birchfield m. Perry Music

Elsie Music m. Oliver Pinion

THey all lived in the Johns Creek/Buffalo area of Floyd Co., KY.

Mary

Griffith/Griffey/Griffy of Floyd & Pike County, KY and VA

Richard Staten (View posts)
Posted: 24 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Griffith, Griffey, Griffy, Griffee
I am seeking help on my maternal line. My grandfather, ESTILL GRIFFITH, was born ~1913 near Meta, Pike County, Kentucky. He was married to a WHEELER and was a Captain in the Ashland Fire Dept. He always said the family was Welsh.
His father JOHN WILSON GRIFFITH, was born ~1886 there as well (to the best of my knowledge) and married a SALYER or SALYERS. He lived in John's Creek.

His father, GEORGE GRIFFITH was most likely born ~1829 in Russell County, VA or Floyd/Pike County, KY, married first a BLACKBURN then later a FRANCESCO or CESCO. He lived in John's Creek. George apparently used GRIFFEE, GRIFFY, & GRIFFEY for his last name as well.

I believe that George's father was a JOHN GRIFFITH, based on a marriage record that I have for George. He may have live in Floyd County, KY.

I would appreciate any help.

Floyd/Pike Griffeys

Posted: 13 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: GRIFFITH, GRIFFEY, GRIFFY
I know my GGGF George Griffy had a son George as well. He is the brother of my GGF John W. Griffy/Griffith.

George Sr. was maaried to Matilda Francesco/Francisco/Cisco and John W. was married to Kessie Salyers. I do not know who George Jr. was married to, but I think all of these people lived in Pike County - the Floyd County I am unsure of.

Are you sure your Matilda's lastname was Childers?

Re: Floyd/Pike Griffeys

Posted: 18 May 2002 11:08PM GMT
Edited: 18 May 2002 11:52PM GMT
Surnames: Griffith
i am related to griffiths not sure how would like to know what information you have. My gggrandmother was Alta May Griffith but that is all i have not sure if married or what. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thankyou

Re: Griffith/Griffey/Griffy of Floyd & Pike County, KY and VA

George Roe (View posts)
Posted: 22 Aug 2003 6:34PM GMT
My Grand-Father was George Washington Griffith born 01/23/1881. He married Martha Leah (Burchett). If this might be the same set of relatives as yours I would appreciate any info you may have.

Posted: 24 Aug 2003 3:47AM GMT
I believe we have the same line. My GGF was the brother of your George, as I have him married to a Martha Lee. Did they have children named -
1. Alice
2. Cora
3. Oma
4. Willie
???
- Richard

Tony Ramey (View posts)
Posted: 24 Aug 2003 4:57PM GMT
Surnames: Griffith, Ramey, Nickell, Edwards.
I don't have your Griffiths in my file but I would think there is a better than average chance that they could be desc. from Abel Griffith of Augusta Co., VA. My mother is a Griffith from Blaine, Lawrence Co., KY. Her line goes thru one of the 4 Griffith brothers who came before 1820 from Tazwell Co, VA to what was then Floyd Co. (formed 1800) in eastern KY. I believe other Griffiths followed later and may include yours.
Abel Griffith had at least 2 wifes and about 8 children with one and 11 with the other. I haven't tried to trace his many desc., except my line, but I do have info about him and if anyone is interested I'll be glad to send it. Tonyramey1@aol.com

Posted: 25 Aug 2003 3:00AM GMT
Richard it appears that we are related.

1. GEORGE WASHINGTON3 GRIFFITH was born January 23, 1881, and died October 22, 1949 in Greenup County, Kentucky. He married MARTHA LEAH BURCHETT, daughter of BILL BURCHETT and JANE VIRES. She was born October 9, 1884, and died April 14, 1973.

Children of GEORGE GRIFFITH and MARTHA BURCHETT are:
FLORENCE ALICE4 GRIFFITH, b. June 29, 1902; d. June 29, 1965; m. WILLIE B. MULLINS.

CORA ESTHER GRIFFITH, b. September 20, 1904; d. April 15, 1968; m. (1) ROBERT COLE; m. (2) BILL SAMMONS; b. 1896; d. 1982.

ORA ELCIE GRIFFITH, b. May 30, 1907; m. PEARL CHAFIN.

WILLIE CECIL GRIFFITH, b. January 10, 1909; d. January 1, 1985; m. SIBBIE SMITH.

ELLA MAE GRIFFITH, b. April 3, 1911; d. September 1925.

VERNON TALMAGE GRIFFITH, b. March 4, 1913; d. August 30, 1966, Dayton, Montgomery County, Ohio; m. MARIE BRYANT.

PEARL GELANAHA GRIFFITH, b. April 9, 1915; m. DELBERT LANCASTER.

ANNA LAURA GRIFFITH (My Mother) , b. March 22, 1917, German/Floyd County/Kentucky; m. DOYLE COOPER ROE; b. April 24, 1915, Fork Ridge/Claiborne County/Tennessee; d. July 6, 1990, Whitesburg/Letcher County/Kentucky.

My E-Mail Address is roege@bellsouth.net
I would appreciate any info. you have. I know very little about my Griffith Ancestors.

George

Mary Adkins Pinion (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2003 6:00PM GMT
You are not showing a ZELLA GRIFFEY that m. Wm. Burchell (Birchfield) dtr of George & m1) Nancy Blackburn m2) Matilda Jane Francisco.

Zella & Wm Birchfield had a number of children; Lula Florence Birchfield m. Perry Music .. and had Elsie Mae Music that m. Oliver Pinion.

This line lived at or near German in Floyd Co., KY. My husbands line.

Will send what info I have been able to gather if you like.
pinion@inthehills.com
Mary

Peggy (View posts)
Posted: 29 Apr 2005 8:39PM GMT
Mary Pinion,
William and Zella Burchell were my grandparents. I am Jake Burchfield's daughter. Jake's siblings were Matilda, Lula, Lannie,George, Sid, Jay,Jessie and Lije.I have Zella's mother as Matilda (Cisco) Griffith.If this is who you are asking about e-mail me back.

Peggy (Burchfield) Hensley
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions