Search for content in message boards

GRAHAM, Eva Olga and Della Pearl

GRAHAM, Eva Olga and Della Pearl

Posted: 27 May 2003 3:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Aug 2003 8:30AM GMT
Surnames: Graham, Walter, Tolles
Would like to contact the descendants of sisters b. Eva Olga Graham and Della Pearl Graham. Eva: Dec. 1879 - Kansas, married William Arthur Walter, children - Harold Grant Walter and Wilma Maxine Walter. Della Pearl: b. Missouri 1881, married Thomas Hugh Tolles, children - Hughla, Donald C., Marguerite and Laura Jeanne. I believe these sisters spent a lot of time in Kansas.

Re: GRAHAM, Eva Olga and Della Pearl

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 3:32AM GMT
Surnames: Graham
I have begun researching Della Pearl Graham who is my half-brother's great grandmother. I have had no luck so far in confirming through research Della's mother's full name. I beleive she and her sister Eva O. were the only children of Alpheus Newton Graham's second wife named Mattie. I would be interested to know more about her.

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 4:58AM GMT
I do not know her last name either, only that she was American Indian and that she died in what is now Vinita, Oklahoma in 1884. In 2002, I asked a researcher at the library there to look for a Graham buried in the area during that time - hoping there might be a surviving marker and the cemetery had been recorded - no luck. I wonder if a death certificate for Della would show the mother's maiden name? The last record I have is her living with daughter Hughla Smith's family in Topeka - a widow.

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 4:07PM GMT
I have just ordered Della's and Eva's death certs. I also found their original handwritten marriage certs (both in Kansas) but neither had parents listed on the form. Hughla Smith is my brother's grandmother. I will post any new info I find.

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 4:32PM GMT
Splendid! I'd love to know what you find. BTW, Alpheus C. Graham was my 2-great grandfather. While looking at census records for Della Pearl's children after they married, I noted your corrections, nice work.

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 8:06PM GMT
Found out a little more, but I am not sure about accuracy. Informants don't always know.
Della death cert: 22Aug1881 Joplin MO - 11Sep1964 Larned Kan; parents Alpheus Newton Graham and Mattie Smith. Informant Mrs. Harold (Margerite) Evans.
Eva Ola death cert: 13Dec1879 Kansas - 22May1974 Junction City KS; parents Newton (unk) Graham and unknown
Informant Mrs. Maxine Hauser

I think for sure their mothers name was Mattie, as this seems to bear out in many places, but I am not so sure about the Smith (maybe just made up?). Those girls lost their mother at ages 3 & 5. After Alpheus died 10 yrs later they had no connections with any family names. 1 yr later they are living with CA Traser(Fraser?)in 1895 in KS state census. They had no family info from their caretakers. They were almost orphaned.

I did find a Marriage record in Jasper MO 29Oct1878 A.N. Graham and Mattie A. Wyatt. All coincidental or was our Mattie's maiden name Wyatt??

Anyway.... still searching

Posted: 30 Jan 2014 5:57AM GMT
Edited: 30 Jan 2014 7:46AM GMT
Surnames: Graham, Walter
Wow, this is great to see. My grandmother is Wilma Maxine Walter, born 4 Oct 1917, whom you referred to above as Mrs Maxine Hauser.

Wilma Maxine Walter is the adopted daughter of Eva Ola Graham & William Arthur Walter. Eva's parents are Alpheus Newton Graham and M A per 1880 census records (her full name may be Mattie A. Wyatt, per your research noted above).

I am looking for any blood relatives of Alpheus Newton Graham, Eva Ola Graham, her husband William Arthur Walter or descendant of them or anyone above them who have done DNA tests either on Ancestry, FamilyTreeDNA or 23andme.

I am trying to determine:
1) if my grandmother, Wilma Maxine Walter (born 4 Oct 1917 - we assume) was really adopted and
2) if so, was she adopted within the family.

DNA tests can go a long way to help solve this puzzle for me. If anyone is related to the above people and has done any of these DNA tests, please let me know your username for the test. You can private message me this information if you prefer. My username is shown above.

Thank you so much,
Shannan

PS and if anyone has found a birth or death certificate for Eva, I would love, love to see that.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions