Search for content in message boards

Somerset England Porters

Somerset England Porters

Posted: 28 Jun 2005 9:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Interested in making contact with people who have Porters of Spaxton/North Petherton/ Moorlinch/Catcott/Wedmore in their tree, dating from around 1735 I know there are many of them around the Bridgewater area but these are quite specific at this stage anyway.
In particular I am interested in a Henry Porter who owned the Manor of Chedzoy. He was an enlightened lord of the manor for those times being concerned about those who worked for him.

Re: Somerset England Porters

Posted: 20 Jan 2011 6:57PM GMT
Surnames: porter moorlinch
Hi, I am a relative of john porter from moorlinch.
b. 1781. Son Jasper b.1816 to 1852. I have been unable to trace back from John.
tree: John,Jasper,Jasper,Arthur,Herbert,Beverley(me)
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Bev

Posted: 20 Jan 2011 10:25PM GMT
Hi Bev,
The Porters are a difficult family to trace and although we share names trying to find the connection is somewhat fraught to say the least.My ancestor is also John Porter of Moorlinch but the baptism I have for him is around 1773. Jasper seems to have been a common name for both families. This John married Edith Mitchell on 25th Apr 1798. They had 5 possibly six children. Two of whom are called Jasper 1812 and John 1803. I have followed their descendants and there are no names that match yours. I am happy to share with you what I have. There is also another John porter you could contact. He lives in Taunton and his email is johnatcrossconnections.org.uk. We found that we were not connected but share all the names. He has done research on his family of Porters and there may be a connection for you there.
I dare say there is a connection between us all but it is further back than we are able to pursue

Posted: 21 Jan 2011 5:34AM GMT
Hi, Thanks for your reply. Im just beginning to understand how difficult it is to trace the family tree. Its interesting that you have a jasper and john born around the same time as my research shows. Im on the wrong track evidently. I was thinking that jasper b 1812 was the father of jasper b 1844.
Jasper 1844 married elizabeth nankivell b 1847 on 27th nov 1871. Alas, back to the drawing board for me.
I will contact John,
Thanks so much
Cheers Bev

Posted: 22 Jan 2011 2:38AM GMT
Hi again. I have relooked at your names and find this is what I have going backwards -Arthur Porter b 1874 Sth Australia, ( siblings are Lavinia, Thomas, Mary, Wilfred, Herbert, Jasper, Muriel)Is this the same Arthur of yours?

Arthurs father is Jasper Porter mother Elizabeth Nankivell from Cornwall, m 27 Nov 1871; Jaspers parents are Jasper b 1812 married to Mary Parker, Moorlinch, died 31 Mar 1896; Jaspers father is John Porter bap 1773 m. Edith Turner b. 1774 Moorlinch; in 25 Apr 1798.

Now this could be the connection after all that you are looking for. My ancestor could be your Jaspers [1812] brother. My email address is coregatxtra.co.nz if you would like to contact me and I can send you some trees and information that might help.
I have not been able to get back further than John 1773 but there just might be a connection to a Joseph Porter of Edington just on the other side of the Poldens [abt1745] who married Hannah someone whose children were named Joseph, Sarah, Thomas, John, Jasper and possibly a Hannah. I only have descendants of Joseph and John Porter. John Porter of Moorlinch leased farm land at Edington as well as Catcott.
I have been in touch with descendants of John Porter 1803 whose relation was a brother to my gt grandfather Henry Porter. Some of this Josephs descandants ended up in Australia too. Joseph and Henry had two other sidblings Thomas and Edith Mitchell Porter who I think died in infancy. I think Thomas married eliza Reeves frn Ashcott. They didn't seem to have any children.
I shall hunt out the tree that John of Taunton sent me.
Cheers
Katherine O'Regan NZ
Look frward to hearing from you again.

Posted: 22 Jan 2011 10:39AM GMT
thanks Katherine, Im pleased to hear from you.
This is indeed the connection with Jasper.
John,Jasper,Arthur,Herbert and then me Bev.
All I know about jasper is his family down and his wife mary parker. They are living with a John and sarah in 1841 census.
John 60 and Sarah 70. Perhaps an uncle, as john and edith turner were the parents of jasper. I would be delighted to hear re jaspers siblings and family.
Cheers Bev

Posted: 22 Jan 2011 11:26PM GMT
Hi again, Just a point of clarification.
Jasper Porter. b 1812 d 1852 married Mary(parker)
Mary and Jasper were living on a 90 acre farm in Moorlinch parish in 1851 census. Jasper died the following year. 1852. Children were John charlotte Ellen Jasper Prudencia . Incidently they had 2 other children named prudencia who died. Following the census in 1951, Henry Woodroffe was born in 1852, the year of jaspers death.
2 years after jaspers death (1854) Mary emigrated to australia on the ship fortitude. with her 6 children.
john b 1838, jasper b 1848, prudencia b 1846, ellen b 1845, charlotte b 1841, henry woodroffe b 1842.
From these six children:
John married eleanor Vigar then miss m s murray
Charlotte married william thomas Binney
Ellen married samuel Mundy
Prudencia married Henry Leverington
Jasper married elizabeth jane Nankivill (my family line)
Henry Woodroffe married mary ann Hill.
Jasper and Jane nankivill had a son Arthur who married Ida.
Arthur and Ida had children: Ethel,daisy,Percival,Hedley,herbert,Ida,arthur,Roy and adopted son Stanley.
Jaspers son Arthur was my Grandfather, my father being Herbert. I also had the pleasure of Herberts brother Arthur, living in our family home with us for all my childhood.
Jasper b 1812,(Parents ?? John and Edith Turner)shows up in Ilchester Gaol in 1840,Must be short time given charlottes conception.Checking parish files in next month for Jasper b 1812 back. Have Bruce Talbots data. Any data you can share would be appreciated.
Many thanks Bev Stephens(porter)

Posted: 23 Jan 2011 10:43PM GMT
I think we are related!!! [grin] Where do you live and can you email me off ancestry as there are some things I would like to send you
Katherine.

Posted: 24 Jan 2011 8:48AM GMT
Hi Katherine,
Great to hear from you.
I live in Adelaide south australia,australia.
I have got back to Joseph c.1748 who married hannah ?d 1779
Joseph and hannah records show that there children were
john 1773 Sarah 1771,joseph 1770 thomas 1773 and jasper 1775.

This information comes from a cousin from your line.(another grin for you)Ann has seen the record.

John 1773 lived with sister sarah in 1941 census. John wife edith had died. My line Jasper 1812 Mary wife lived there too with john1838 and charlotte 1841. The ages of john and sarah were confusing j60 and sarah 70. But the census took or gave five in those days. Our cousin ann from your line clarified who they were.
I will send you all porter stuff when can. Awaiting my daughters return from fraser island as she has my nankivell book. My aunt has a porter book, which probably best if I get a copy and send to you. I want to check her book first to make sure data is all correct.
my email rbbev1@hotmail.com
I will send my address through email and not this site
Would be greatful for anything you have;
Bye for now
Cousin Bev

Posted: 31 Jan 2011 2:05AM GMT
Hi Cousin,
I have the porter book, some things are wrong but its got some good things of interest.
I think Jasper married mary porker not parker.
Can you please send me your address to rbbev1@hotmail.com
so I can send it to you.
Cheers Bev
per page

Find a board about a specific topic