WILLIAM C. EICH, farmer, was born February 2, 1823 in Oberstedten, near Frankfort on the Main, Germany. His parents, Frederick and Elizabeth (Steckel) Eich, were natives of Germany, where the father died in 1844, and the mother in 1849. They had fourteen children: Mary, married Peter Matley, and settled in West Salem Township; William C., Eva, married Alexander Wood, of Greenville; Stephen, lives in West Salem Township; Fred, is dead; Margaret, married John Ramb; Catharine, is a widow in New York State: Lottie, married Fred Brown, of Albany, N. Y.; Lewis, lives in Hartford, Ohio; Louesa, married Philip Knice; Elizabeth, married to Henry Fischer, New York City; Jane, married George Deitz. Our subject was educated in Germany, and learned to read English. He early learned the trade of a miller, and followed it both in his native country and this. He came to America in 1847, leaving his family behind, and engaged in the mill of Henry Miller, of Greenville, for a few months. After working awhile in the mill of Hildebrand, the same city, he was employed in a coal bank. He was a miller for Robert Fruit for eleven years. In 1848 his wife, Justina Bender, joined him, and is the mother of thirteen children: William, is a miller at Conneaut Lake, Crawford County; Fred, deceased; Kate, Stephen, Lewis, Elizabeth, Mary, Theodore, Simon, Augustus, Lydia, Austin and Martin. In 1862, Mr. Eich settled in Otter Creek Township, and now owns a farm of 125 acres, the result of his own labor. He is distinctively a self-made man, and to illustrate his beginning we note that, when on his way to this country, he bought a ticket at Buffalo, for a passage on the canal to Cincinnati, and at Erie he sold a jacket to pay for his lodging, and at Greenville he sold his ticket for 25 cents, which was all the money he had when he arrived at Greenville. He is now worth about $7,000. He has been assistant assessor of Otter Creek Township and school director. He and wife are members of the Lutheran Church, and he is a Democrat.
History of Mercer County, PA, 1888, page 1163
Submitted in conjunction with the Mercer County PA USGenWeb site: http://www.rootsweb.com/~pamercer