Search for content in message boards

Herring, Herrin, Simmons, Jones of Hattiesburg

Herring, Herrin, Simmons, Jones of Hattiesburg

Posted: 28 Sep 2004 12:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Herring, Herrin, Simmons, Jones
In 1920 & 1930, Mary Edna (a/k/a Edna) Jones was living with her sister's family in Hattiesburg - Alice Ophelia Jones & Thomas Jefferson Herring, who married on 11/6/1906. Sister, Zulka (a/k/a Zula) was also living with the Herrings and Edna.

The three sisters worked in a department store in Hattiesburg.

Would like to know which cemetery they are buried in and if anyone has photos of their headstones. Alice Herring/Herrin (d aft. 1963) and Zulika Jones (d July 1967) died in Hattisburg.
Zulika never married.

Their sister, Edna, married a Mr. Simmons bet. 1930-1955 and moved to Houston, where she died in a fire. Was her body brought back to Hattiesburg or to DeSoto, Clarke County, where her parents and other siblings were buried buried? Are there any obits for these folks or their spouses?

Re: Herring, Herrin, Simmons, Jones of Hattiesburg

Posted: 26 Jan 2005 1:06PM GMT
Surnames: Herring, Herrin, Simmons, Jones of Hattiesburg
Update - Mary Edna Simmons did not die in a fire, but died of a heart attack, at home, in Baytown, TX in 1956. She is buried in Memory Gardens, Baytown, TX.

G Simmons (View posts)
Posted: 21 Feb 2005 3:13AM GMT
Highland Park Cemetery
W. 7th Street
Hattiesburg, Forrest Co., Miss.
Zula Jones Nov 4, 1895 July 25, 1967
Thomas J. Herring Oct 18, 1882 June 11, 1973
Ophelia Jones Herring Dec 20, 1886 Nov 12, 1968
This is according to:
Forrest County, Mississippi Tombstone Inscriptions

Posted: 21 Feb 2005 12:31PM GMT
Edited: 25 Nov 2006 12:42PM GMT
Surnames: Jones, Herrin, Herring, Simmons
Thank you. I didn't have any of this info. The two women are my Great Aunts, Zulika and Alice Ophelia Jones. Ophelia married Herrin.

Posted: 21 Feb 2005 12:54PM GMT
Surnames: Jones, Simmons, Herrin, Herring
Do you have the link for this website? Where are they posted online? I did a google search, but didn't find them. Thank you.

Posted: 19 May 2005 9:16PM GMT
Laurene, my great grandfather was John Wesley Herring, brother of Thomas Jefferson Herring. I've been researching their names for about a year now and have not been able to determine who their father and mother were. Would you have this information? Many thanks for your help.

Posted: 19 May 2005 10:34PM GMT
Surnames: Herrin Herring
I have a John W. Herring b July 4, 1851-1852 in Clarke Co, MS as the parent of Thomas Jefferson Herring, b Oct. 18,1882. When was your John Wesley born? Laurene

Posted: 19 May 2005 10:43PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jan 2006 9:40PM GMT
Right you are. Thomas Jefferson is John Wesley's son. Don't know why I confused that. My grandmother Melissa Estelle was John Wesley's daughter. She married PG Tate and lived in Meridian. I'm hoping to find the parents of John Wesley. Would you have any information on him? Thanks again.

Posted: 19 May 2005 11:58PM GMT
Surnames: Herring, Herrin
From my online research, which should be verified, I have S. John Herring, b 1826 in SC and Jenny, b 1834 AL, as his parents.

They had 7 children.

I have S. John's parents as William and Sarah. They had 9 children. Email me and I'll give you sources. Laurene
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions