Search for content in message boards

Clark in Bath County

Clark in Bath County

Larry Eavey (View posts)
Posted: 25 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Clark, Windon, Law
Looking for gg grandfather Samuel Clark reported of Scotch descent born in Ireland and came to Bath County by was of PA and Rockbridge County. His son Samuel married Sarah (Sallie) Windon b.? d.1874 and they are both buried on the Clark homestead in the county. His son Arthur Pendleton Strother Clark b.5/12/1832 married Ann Law of England b.8/23/1830 d.3/8/1914 in the county. Their daughter Mattie Catherine b.3/1/1866 d.8/23/1927 was my grandmother, married Jacob Markwood Eavey (a preacher in the Bath Co. area in the late 1880's and early 1890's).

Re: Clark in Bath County

Posted: 24 Jul 2007 11:19PM GMT
Larry,

Do you have any proof of the information for Samuel Clark's father? I'm trying to trace my husband's maternal line and Samuel Clark is his 3rd great grandfather. That is as far back as his mother had, and sadly, she passed away in 2005. The only information that we had was that Samuel Clark, born around 1797, married to Sallie Windon was likely the son of "either Samuel or Robert Clark"

Do you have any information on this person?

Posted: 25 Jul 2007 4:25PM GMT
The information on Samuel Clark's father comes from a family history given to me from a cousin Jim Clark that lived in Bath County until his death in 2005. It reads "Samuel or Robert of Scotch descent was born in Ireland, came to PA and then to Rockbridge County,VA and finally Bath County,VA. He is said to have fought in the Revolutionary War, but this has not been proved. He had several daughters and one son Samuel b.1797 d.May 8,1880 (buried in the graveyard on Clark Homestead) m. Sarah (Sallie)Windon April 12, 1827. (This information from Uncle Andrew Clark) (Uncle John Clark thought his name might have been Robert) Found in the annals of Bath County Pages 11,12,40. The Clarks were immigrants of Province Ulster, Northern part of Ireland, The County Antrim. Fled to America to get away from persecution."

Posted: 25 Jul 2007 10:32PM GMT
Wow, thanks!! Just out of curiosity, was your cousin, Jim Clark, the son of Ralph Clark and Daisy Mae Haynes? He is my husband's late Uncle.

Posted: 26 Jul 2007 1:02AM GMT
Ralph Raymond Clark was a brother to my Aunt Dora Mizpah Clark who married my uncle Ewart C. Eavey who was a son of Mattie Catherine Clark (my grandmother) and a cousin of Dora his wife. Ralph's father and mother were John Aaron Clark and Luella Williams according to my papers and had eight children. John Aaron's parents were Samuel Presley Clark and Maude Smith. His parents were Arthur Pendleton Strother Clark and Ann Law who was from England. I show Ralph died in 1962. He was married twice, first to Daisy and second to Cornelia Brinkley (Sively)? I met my late cousin briefly by chance a year before he passed away and I never did find out exactly his line. He lived all his life in Bath Co VA and showed me the Clark property and old homeplace that has been restored.
He gave me the 16 typewritten sheets of the Clark lineage.

Posted: 26 Jul 2007 1:48AM GMT
Ralph, Sr did die in 1962, according to my later mother in law (his daughter). I have his father, John Aaron Clark, shown as being born in 1859 to Archer Pendleton Strother Clark and Ann Law. He appears to be just 17 months younger than his older brother, Samuel Presley Clark. I have 11 children for APS Clark and Ann Law. John Aaron Clark and Louisa Ella Williams did have 8 known children, Florence, Leola, Tessie, Harry, Charles, Ralph, Dora and Ruth.

Posted: 16 Oct 2008 9:05PM GMT
Hello

I have Ann Law's details and her family from UK if you areinterested. Check out my tree, "Tony Law Family Tree here on Ancestry

Best Regards
Tony

Posted: 17 Oct 2008 2:38PM GMT
Surnames: Clark
My Notes on John Aaron Clark

1853-1870 Bath Co., VA. births [Viellenave] pg. 67
John Aaron Clark w/m alive October 14, 1859 Bath County
Father: Archer S.P. Clark Occupation: Farmer Res. Bath County
Mother: Ann Clark Informant: Ann Clark, mother

1860 Bath Co., VA. [Holly Cochran] pg. 55 census# 203-171 age: 9/12 male listed as John L. Clark [does not match his birth record]

Bicent. of Bath Co. pg. 162 submitted by James A. Clark

Posted: 29 Aug 2013 2:03AM GMT
Just happened to see your message; I am Ralph Clark, III. Ralph was my grandfather and his son, Ralph Jr., or Sonny, is still alive and kicking in Bath County. Would love to hear more about the 16 typewritten sheets.

Posted: 15 Apr 2014 6:37PM GMT
My husband descends from Archer's son Samuel Presley. I am starting at zero really since his family has never traced their history so I would love to get copies of the Clark family history that you have!

Thanks,
Christal
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions