Search for content in message boards

How to enter multiple marriages between same couple

How to enter multiple marriages between same couple

Posted: 31 Oct 2013 1:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a couple that married each other, divorced and later remarried. I've either entered it wrong or Legacy has an issue. When I run the problem report i get errors that say the children were born before the marriage.

Ideas on how to enter this correctly?

thanks

Re: How to enter multiple marriages between same couple

Posted: 31 Oct 2013 5:31PM GMT
Edited: 31 Oct 2013 5:58PM GMT
If you run the potential problems report > Create Problems list then you can select the children who it says were born before the second marriage and then mark as not a problem.

Presuming the children were born during the first marriage the children born before (second) marriage problem is inevitable and I think the only way to deal with it is as above.

Added in Edit: My apologies I am not addressing the root problem of how to enter two marriages with identical husbands and wives rather than preventing the problems showing in a report. Frankly I have no idea how to do this since marriage entry is one-sided, i.e., pick one person and then link them to another and a second marriage of this sort is essentially two-sided. One idea might be to enter the divorce and second marriage as events in the first marriage! but then this does not show up on the Family view screen and more importantly perhaps is not going to take account of any other marriages and divorces between the first and second marriage.

Posted: 31 Oct 2013 9:18PM GMT
In my current software I create a second family unit with the same two people as husband and wife.

Posted: 1 Nov 2013 2:29AM GMT
Do you have two marriages entered for this couple, so that on the spouse icon for each of them there is a 2 (or higher number if they've married other people as well)?

Assuming you do, do you have the children linked to the first marriage or the second? The 'right' one is whichever marriage was current at the time of the child's birth.

If you have a child linked to the wrong marriage, put the child in the parent (middle) position in Family View, right-click on that person and then select Unlink > from parents.

Next, right-click on that person again, this time selecting Add > Parents, and navigate to the correct marriage and select it.

Hope this helps. Keep asking questions if you need more help. :-)

Kind Regards,
Wendy

Posted: 3 Nov 2013 1:55PM GMT
Wendy,

I do have the children linked to the right marriage. It seems like the issue is the marriage facts. The 1st marriage shows up as Marriage. Then there is Divorced, but when the 2nd marriage was entered there was only a selection for Alt Marriage.

I think if I could change Alt Marriage to just Marriage then maybe it would be fixed. But when I select the Alt Marriage fact, then click edit, the drop down box does not show Marriage again.

Thoughts?

Posted: 4 Nov 2013 3:01PM GMT
Until the perfect way to do what you want to do comes up why not just make a note in the marriage info, "Edit Marriage", about the two marriages and the date of the 2nd marriage and what children were born to the first and born to the second time around.

A short informative note would be 2nd best but should work till the best way is found.

Posted: 8 Apr 2014 1:42PM GMT
I would simply add the first marriage with the divorced status and two additional marriage events: one for the divorce and one for the second marriage. After all this is not a different family, I see no point in doubling the marriage.

Posted: 9 Apr 2014 7:34PM GMT
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by second family unit. Can you be more specific on how you did that?

Posted: 9 Apr 2014 7:38PM GMT
Sadly, I agree with the others to make a marriage event.

That doesn't fix the original problem though and that irritates me. Legacy SHOULD recognize that there was a previous marriage between the two and so there should be absolutely NO reason whatsoever that there is an error message.

Personally, I would report this as a bug, which you can do here: http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/Problems.asp.
After all, they are completely separate marriages and so they are absolutely NOT events. This shouldn't be a feature request either as it is clearly a bug.

Good luck!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic