Search for content in message boards

Surname Changes

Surname Changes

Posted: 7 Apr 2013 2:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bujarksi, Beirs
Hi All,
I have a couple of questions regarding surname changed.

My father was born William John Bujarski, and this is how is birth was registered. When he was bout 8, his father, John Francis Bujarski, legally changed the family surname to Beirs (I have the court documents).

So, my questions:
1. When you are putting this information in your computer software, would you record them as they were born, then put in the name change documentations later?
2. And, does the fact that my grandFATHER changed his name automatically mean that my grandMOTHER and my father's name were automatically changed? I don't have any records of their going through court to get this changed.

Thanks much!

Re: Surname Changes

Posted: 2 May 2013 12:36AM GMT
I think most people put the name at the time of birth and then record changes after that. This is how most women are recorded, not with their married name.

I would tend to assume that wives and minors living with a father also automatically change name.

But what matters is that you actually know these two names were used. So, you will know to look for both, just in case your assumptions are wrong.

Re: Surname Changes

Posted: 5 May 2013 2:45AM GMT
Thanks Tim...That's sort of the way I was leaning, but I wanted to get a second opinion. I have some family members using the "Beirs" name (as did I - it was my maiden), and some family members using the "Bujarski" name. When doing research, it's just a given to look up both in whatever I'm searching :)

Thank you again for the response.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions