Search for content in message boards

Can anyone help me figure out what is written on this birth certificate?

Can anyone help me figure out what is written on this birth certificate?

Posted: 24 Apr 2013 4:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lister
Hi all,

As you can see from the attached - David Watson Lister was born Illegitimate. The blurb written at the side of the page appears to read "Paternity of this child found....". I know it's a long shot, but if anyone could even make a guess at what you think it says it would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks,
Beth
Attachments:

Re: Can anyone help me figure out what is written on this birth certificate?

Posted: 24 Apr 2013 11:29PM GMT
Guess! I think you are right about "paternity of child found .... afterwards?" and then it seems to refer to another record " see Key?, King? ...Vol. 1, p. 10, February 11th? (10th?), 1862". Could that take you a step forward - does it seem to refer to any sort of record you have heard of elsewhere? Nothing but a shot in the dark but best of luck.

Posted: 25 Apr 2013 5:44AM GMT
I can't myself read what it says but I believe the prior reply was correct in the U.K if a child is born illigitimate and later paternity is shown or proved then you can not alter a birth index or certificate but they are re-registered which I believe this is suggesting in 1862

Good luck Peter

Posted: 25 Apr 2013 10:35AM GMT
Hi Beth,

I've seen one of these Scottish birth entries myself, with a note in the margin, and the important bit is that it says "See Reg of Cor. Entr. Vol 1 p 10". This refers to the Register of Corrected Entries, which is the method by which entries of birth are amended in Scotland.

You should be able to see the Register entry from Scotland's People. If you login, and then click on "Viewed Images" (one of the options along the very top of the screen) you should be able to find and view the birth entry which you've attached to your post. Just above the image, you should see a blue button "View Page Before", a green button "View Page After", and there should be an additional brown button which says "View RCE". It'll cost you credits to view it, but that should hold the detail you're looking for. In a few cases the "View RCE" button is missing, in which case, e-mail Scotland's People and they'll most likely send you an image of the entry.

Christine

Posted: 25 Apr 2013 6:40PM GMT
Hi Christine,

Thank you so much - i found exactly what I was looking for! The only problem is, i'm having a very hard time reading that too, so i'm sure i'll end up posting it here soon.
Thanks again for your help.

Beth
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions