Search for content in message boards

kennedy

Posted: 24 Nov 2002 5:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
looking for ancesters to Ira Kennedy, Ohio, or Missouri, I think his fathers name is Darling Kennedy,Ohio.Ira's children are Ervin,Allden "A.D." ,Willis, all born in. Please help if you can.

Re: kennedy

Posted: 14 Jul 2003 3:09AM GMT
Edited: 19 Apr 2007 7:44PM GMT
Hi Linda,
Ira, b. 27 March 1876, was one of Darling C. Kennedy's sons. I have a copy of Darling's civil war pension file which includes all his chidren. He was my husband's great-great-grandfather. Please feel free to contact me for further information.

Posted: 18 Jan 2004 5:46AM GMT
To Linda, re: Ira Kennedy. Father: Darling C. Kennedy (born 1841), Mother: Margarett S. Betton (1848), Sisters: Lizzie and Minnie, Brothers: Harrison and John William. John is my husband's grandfather. Margarett died between 1880-1884 and Darling married his 2nd wife, Laura. Xanthus Kennedy (DOB KY 1800?) is Darling C. Kennedy's father and "S." is his mother. Darling Kennedy had brothers named: Hezekiah (1828), Milton (1826), and Rezin (1831). My info is from the US Census only. I have no official documents. E-mail me if you wish name of Margarett's parents.

Posted: 27 Dec 2005 7:11PM GMT
The "S" may stand for Celia Scott. Were these Kennedy's ever in Scioto Co., OH? There is listed a xanthus Canaday married to Celia Scott, daughter of Joseph and Mary Cain. Married 4-11-1823. I don't have much else on info of children except for first intials in 1850 census.

Posted: 27 Dec 2005 7:15PM GMT
Just to let you know, the initials in the 1850 census match the names of the sons Janice listed-x, s, h, m, r, d, the rest, if there are others is cut off. Ancestry only listed entry 102 and then the next page skips to 109. If you'd like more info on Celia and her family, just let me know. Carrie

Posted: 3 Jan 2006 8:46PM GMT
To Carrie, yes, Brush Creek, Scioto Co., OH. Marriage to Celia Scott , 4-11-1823 is a possibility as my records state ?1825. Yes, please send more info on Celia and her family. What line are you related to? Jan

Carrie Abraham (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jan 2006 11:15PM GMT
I am actually a Scott by maiden name. I come from James Scott, brother to Joseph Scott, father of Celia Scott. I found the marriage date for Celia Scott and Canthus Canaday on www.scioto.org/Scioto/Marriage/1800-1900/S.html. It states 1823, but that could be an error. I just go by what I have proof for. Celia is buried in Cottage Cemetery, Hardin Co., IA. I haven't found Xanthus' place of burial yet. I have Xanthus Kennedy in Census for 1830 Brush Creek, Scioto Co., OH, there in 1840 too, 1850 Scioto Co., OH, 1860 Ellis, Hardin Co., IA and there in 1880 as well, but only Xanthus and he is in son Rezin's household. Since the 1850 and 1860 census records only list first initials it is difficult to find names, some I have only because they showed up in the same area their parents were in 1870 with names. I really don't have any positive proof as of yet. I find the children to be H. b. abt 1828, Milton Kennedy born March 1829 OH, Rezin Kennedy born March 20, 1831 OH, D. Kennedy b. abt 1833, Sarah Kennedy b. abt 1836 OH, E. Kennedy female b. abt 1839, L. Kennedy male b abt 1852 and James M. Kennedy b. abt 1854. Now L and James M, I am not sure if these two are children or grandchildren, Celia would have been 52 and 54 at their births, which is why I wonder if they are grandchildren. Milton married Margaret A. Caraway March 18,1858 in Hardin Co., IA (source Hardin County Marriage Book 1, 1853-1866 on Hardin Co., iA UsGenWeb) and his death date is unknown. Margaret was born December 18, 1835 in OH and died February 17, 1889 probably in Hardin Co., IA, she is buried in Cottage Cemetery, Hardin Co., IA. He is is Ellis, Hardin Co., IA 1860-1880, in 1900 he is in Alden, Hardin Co., iA widowed and a boarder in household of Edward Wetsler. I find on the UsGenWeb Milton Kennedy listed as a farmer, nativity Scioto Co., OH, states he came to IA in 1852. Their children;Sarah E. babt 1858, Roxie Annie b. 8-4-1860 d. 3-2-1889 buried Cottage Cemetery, Maritta b abt1864, Lyman b. abt 1866 and Edith b. abt 1870, all born in IA. Rezin married Elizabeth White March 8, 1855 in Scioto Co., OH. She was born April 4, 1830 in Scotland and she died Jan. 20,1921 in prob. Hardin Co., IA. Rezin died April 16, 1917 prob. Hardin Co., IA. They are both buried in Cottage Cemetery also. They are in Ellis, Hardin Co., IA 1860-1900. UsGenWeb states Rezin Kennedy farmer, Nativity Scioto Co., OH came to state in 1855. Their children; Martha abt 1856, Celia abt 1857, Nathaniel abt1859, Xanthus abt. 1860 and Grathabelle abt 1872, all born IA. I find D. Kennedy in Hardin Co., iA in 1860, but he has disappeared after that. All that is known is his wife's name is Mary and she was born abt 1841 in IN. I find a David with a Mary same dates in another county in IA, but not sure if that would be right so left his name as D. for now. Sarah Kennedy married Joseph Caraway. NOw I believe Joseph Caraway is her cousin, son to Delilah Scott Caraway, sister to Celia Scott. Sarah married Joseph 8-4-1860 in Hardin Co., IA (source Hardin County Marriage Book 1, 1853-1866), he was b. abt 1838 and died 5-9-1862. Joseph is listed with Florentine and Delilah Lake in 1860, which is his cousin, Delilah is the daughter of James, brother to Celia(Sarah's mom) and Delilah(Joseph's mom). Hardin Co., IA UsGenWeb states Joseph B. Caraway died of typhoid fever, May 9, 1862, he was on the Union side. I do not know what happened to Sarah after the 1860 census. Something else of interest. there is a marriage to Hezekiah Kennedy to Urch Tumbleson 12-4-1850 in Scioto Co., OH. In Hardin Co., IA there is a marriage of a Mrs. Urah Kenneda to Orrin H. Foster 12-4-1862 (same date). In the 1870 census Orin is married to an Almira born in OH. I am thinking this could be H for Hekekiah and maybe he died and his wife remarried. This needs furthur looking into. If you are doing the Kennedy side, in 1850 next to X (Xanthus) in Scioto Co., OH is the household of H 47 , E 40, W 20 male, J 18 female, M A 17 female, x 14 male, M 6 female, O 4 male, and P White 28 male. Now in the Scioto Co., OH Marriages I find Hezekiah Kennedy married to Elizabeth White 1-10-1830, this is probably this house. I also find Mary, Zanthus, Warren, which could fit into this household also. Now there is also listed another Rezin married to a Rebecca Trumbo, but other trees list him with other parents, and no mention of any of these members. Yet with such a odd name, I would think these members would have to be related in some way or another. I haven't checked this out too much as of yet. Will let you know more if you would like, just email me and I will send a family report. I believe I tried the email you had listed and it wouldn't work for me. (Whew, that was long!)

Posted: 25 Jan 2007 9:02PM GMT
Thank you sooo much for all the info. I can't believe it's been a year since I worked on the Kennedy family. Any news when and where their ancestors immigrated from?

Posted: 6 Nov 2007 12:31AM GMT
In Darling's pension file he was asked to give the names of his relatives living in 1850 & 1860. He listed his father and siblings. The family can be found in the 1850 census in Rumley, Harrison, Ohio.

Darling C. Kennedy's parents were actually Elias Kennedy and Margaret Salsbury. His siblings were: Elizabeth, Christopher, James, Daniel, Sarah, Amanda & Adaline. The names match his sworn statement in his pension file.

Elias was from Maryland, and Margaret was born in Ohio. That is consistant with the data on Darling in the 1900 census on the birth place of his parents. I have not had any luck on finding parents for Elias.

Darling had two more sons with Margaret, Bert and Frank. My husband is a great-grandson of Bert.

Considering Darling had 11 children between to two wives, it would seem that there would be more of us out there researching this line.

Lisa
per page

Find a board about a specific topic