Search for content in message boards

Mike McCoy from Pike KY

Mike McCoy from Pike KY

Posted: 3 Mar 2011 8:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McCoy
I started a Family tree and now realize just how little I know. I am looking for links for my father, MIKE MCCOY who is now deceased. He was born in Pike KY in 1934 and had several sisters and brothers. Denver, Oscar, Glenn, and a few others I dont remember their names. His mother was named Mary(poss maiden name Coleman)and father I believe was Joe McCoy. They are from the Ky, Tn area. Any help, information, or just suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Trying to track back from my dad.

Re: Mike McCoy from Pike KY

Posted: 3 Mar 2011 4:09PM GMT
The 1930 Federal Census for Pike County, Ky., shows head of household Jos. McCay, Jr. (Last name misspelled but now you know your Great Grandfather was Joseph McCoy, Sr.) Jos McCoy, Jr. was born about 1905 as his age is listed as 25. Wife Mary is 23 and they have three children. Also listed is Bertha Coleman--a sister, age 11.

The 1920 Census, taken Jan 2, 1020, same place, lists Joseph McCoy, (Sr.), wife Mamie, and nine chiuldren including Joe McCoy, Jr. The 1920 Census also lists Ellison Coleman and wife Mary with eight children including daughters, Mary, 11, and Bertha, less than a year old.

I should think Pike County, Ky. marriage, birth and death records would provide you with a wealth of information as it appears that your family lived there for at least two and maybe three or four generations. The men all worked in the coal mines and Joe McCoy, Sr. says both his mother and father were born in Kentucky.

Hope this helps you get a better start on your family tree.

Posted: 3 Mar 2011 4:11PM GMT
Correction on date 1920 census was taken in Pike County--that would be Jan. 2, 1920.

Posted: 3 Mar 2011 4:26PM GMT
Could this be your Grandfather?

Name: Joseph McCoy
SSN: 400-10-0026
Last Residence: 31201 Macon, Bibb, Georgia, United States of America
Born: 27 Mar 1905
Died: Oct 1976
State (Year) SSN issued: Kentucky (Before 1951)

Posted: 3 Mar 2011 6:48PM GMT
Edited: 3 Mar 2011 7:00PM GMT
According to my family tree software, your dad was my 5th cousin. I don't know your family at all, but I do have your dad's ancestry. Here goes:

(Your grandpa) Joseph McCoy Jr.
(G-Grandparents) Joseph P. McCoy Sr. and 2nd? wife Manie / Mamie Hall (d/o ???)
(GG) Larkin H. McCoy and 1st wife Mary Elizabeth Coleman (d/o William Floyd Coleman and Pricy Charles)
(GGG) Asa Harmon McCoy and Martha "Patsy" Cline (d/o Jacob "Rich Jake" Cline and Nancy Fuller)
(GGGG) Daniel McCoy and Margaret "Peggy" Taylor (d/o John W. Taylor and Mary Ann Varney)
(GGGGG) William "Old William" McCoy and (some say her name was Rachel and others say Cordelia)
------------------------------------------------------------
(Your grandma) Mary Coleman
(G-Grandparents) Ellison Coleman and Mary Elizabeth Thornsbury (d/o William Thornsbury and Pricy Phillips)
------------------------------------------------------------
Careful on Ellison Coleman...there were two in Pike Co KY who lived in the same area, and were born about the same time....one was s/o Harvey, and the other was s/o Miles.

1880 Pike Co KY (Marrowbone Creek)
Harvey Coleman 26
Sarah Coleman 23
William A. Coleman 6
Ellisson Coleman 4
Artie Coleman 2
Mary A. Coleman 7m

1880 Pike Co KY (Marrowbone Creek)
Miles Coleman 36
Brackenridge Coleman 18
Victoria Coleman 17
Levi Coleman 16
Lavina Coleman 14
Arminda Coleman 12
William Coleman 11
George Coleman 9
Emma Coleman 7
Hawkins Coleman 5
John Ellisson Coleman 3
Sarah Roe 50

Maybe someone who knows these Coleman's better can point you in the right direction on him, but based on ages in census for Ellison and Mary, I'm leaning toward him being John Ellison Coleman, s/o Miles, but I could be wrong:

1920 Pike Co KY
Ellison Coleman 43
Mary E Coleman 41
Eli Coleman 18
Frank Coleman 16
Mcclellan Coleman 14
Mary Coleman 11
Matison Coleman 11
Pricy Coleman 9
Earnest Coleman 5
Bertha Coleman 1/12 (on 1930 census with Joseph and Mary Coleman McCoy...listed as a sister, but was really Joseph's sister-in-law, and sister of Mary)

1910 Pike Co KY
Ellison Coleman 32
Mary E Coleman 31
Elsie Coleman 11
Eli Coleman 10
Frank Coleman 8
Mcclelland Coleman 5
William Coleman 2
Mary Coleman 2

1900 Pike Co KY
Elison Coleman 23
Mary E Coleman 21

Posted: 3 Mar 2011 11:36PM GMT
ceilidh,
How nice of you! That was great information!

Lynne

Posted: 3 Mar 2011 11:46PM GMT
No amount of money could repay you for what you just did for me. I have searched and always found nothing. This was a long shot that paid off. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Posted: 4 Mar 2011 12:39AM GMT
You're very welcome! Wish I knew more on your granny's side, but at least you have a good start now. :o)

Posted: 25 Jun 2012 11:01PM GMT
The name McCoy, McKay, McCay arall the same and one person might use all three spellings. My ggggrandfather was Hugh McCoy/McKay. gwellsgary363@gmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic