Eli "Rimfire" Hamrick

Eli "Rimfire" Hamrick

Posted: 17 Oct 2001 9:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Dec 2001 3:23PM GMT
Surnames: Hamrick
OLD WOODSMAN DIES EASTER
Webster Springs April 2
The master woodsman who so typified the "free mountaineer" that his figure was portrayed in bronze on the West Virginia state-house grounds, died last night in his home.
Eli "Rimfire" Hamrick, 77 year-old forrester, hunter, and guide, had been ill for 2 weeks. He had lived in virtual retirement for the last two years.
Tales of Rimfire's exploits, ------- ran for Republican nomination to House of Representatives in Webster Co.,----- catch phrase, "You have me there in bronze, now send me there in person."-------
Rimfire was born in Bergoo, Webster Co., WV. One of 14 children born to Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin Hamrick. two brothers are Felix Hamrick of Rodnay, O., and Rev. Simpson Hamrick of Salem, O., 1 sister Mrs. Cameron Beale of Elkins, WV

I found this in my grandmothers scrap book. I left alot of the middle out, I put in the most important parts. I didn't know if anyone was interested in it. I'm not sure of the date, but it is on the same page as Pre-Pearl Harbor clipping of her brothers.

If anyone would like a copy of the clipping, leave a message on the board and I will try to get it out on Mon the 22.

Angela

Re: Eli "Rimfire" Hamrick

Posted: 19 Oct 2001 7:13AM GMT
Would love to have a clipping of this obit..Thanks

mary rowe-hamrick (View posts)
Posted: 29 Nov 2001 2:21PM GMT
would love to have a copy of the clipping about Eli "Rimfire" Hamrick, he is a great uncle of my husband's.

Posted: 11 Mar 2004 2:41PM GMT
I would love a copy also. My Grandmother was a Hamrick ( Nellie E. ) from Webster Springs/Bergoo. Have not been able to find out much on her or her family. Would be interested if you have anything on her. She was born on Nov 30, 1896 in Webster County. She married Grover Cleveland Baughman on Feb 28, 1914.

Thanks for you info,
Dana

Posted: 30 Jul 2005 5:10AM GMT
Surnames: Hamrick/foltz/Humphrey/Brown/collins
yes, i would like clipping, even thou he isn't a direct ancester, he is a far off uncle thou.

Posted: 6 Feb 2006 7:32AM GMT
Surnames: baughman
Hello, these are my great-grandparents. I do have a picture of nellie baughman, and of my grandfather Haze. Do you have any information? How are you related? Kim

Angela Nealy (View posts)
Posted: 8 Feb 2006 12:41AM GMT
I found a copy of Eli's obit in my grandmother's papers. Not sure if there is a relationship. My GGmothers' names were Henrietta Hornbrick/Sarah Ann Hamrick. Not sure. GM always says Henrietta Hornbrick, GGF pention papers says her name was Sarah Ann Hamtick. Was Married to Jeremiah Bircher who was a musician in the CW from W Virginia

kim hanby (View posts)
Posted: 8 Feb 2006 5:01AM GMT
Surnames: baughman
Did it mention if she had any children? My grandfather was Haze william Baughman, his mother being Nellie Hamrick. They were orginially from Fort Wayne, Indiana. Not sure what your obit states, but it doesn't seem to similar?

Posted: 9 Feb 2006 4:15PM GMT
In my records Eli "Rimefire" Hamrick and Zella Cogar had only one child who died shortly after birth. The child is buried next to Rimfire in the Hamrick Cemetery in Webster Springs, Webster, WV. I do not believe Rimfire had any descendants. Does anyone have any different information?

Posted: 28 May 2008 9:10PM GMT
I would love a copy of Rimfire Hamrick's obit. I am a Hamrick from Swandale, West Virginia. My father is Jack and grandfather is Hobert. Eli is connected somewhere in there. lol Thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic