Search for content in message boards

Dominic Moran and wife Honor Horan, Sinnolane, County Mayo

Dominic Moran and wife Honor Horan, Sinnolane, County Mayo

Posted: 11 Sep 2010 12:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for information and decendents of my great grandparents. I think he was born about 1835 +/-. I found my grandparents in Glan Tavrane, Kilkelly, County Mayo.
Any information would be appreciated.

Kathleen Moran Albanese USA

Re: Dominic Moran and wife Honor Horan, Sinnolane, County Mayo

Posted: 29 Mar 2011 3:06AM GMT
Ms. Albanese:

I have relatives named Horan and Moran in Glan Tavrane, and also had a descendant named Horan from Sinnolane. The names Moran and Horan are very common in the area. It's likely there is a connection there.

Tom Horan

Posted: 30 Mar 2011 12:39AM GMT
Hello Tom: Thank you for responding to my questions. I have been tracing my father's family in Kilkelly (Sinolane).I have been told that the Morans and the Horans are related. I recently found out that my great grandfather, Dominick Moran married Honor Doodican not Horan. Undersand she was from Culcastle ?? I have cousins in Sinolane - Michael Keane and Mary and PJ McDermott. They have been very helpful in my research. Have you heard of the website www.eastmayo.org. Someone very kindly transcribed the marriage and baptisim records in Kilmovee Church and I found my father, Patrick J. Moran 1903 and his siblings. My grandfather was John Moran who was married to Catherine Tarpey. Only one of their sons remainded in Ireland, Dominick Moran who after their death moved to England with their sons Michael and Patrick. I have visited Ireland several times and hope to go back later this year to finish my research. Are you located in Ireland or in America. I am in Rhode Island, USA. We could be related but not sure how. I am also on facebook under the name of Kathleen Moran Albanese.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Kate Albanese

Posted: 4 Apr 2011 12:31PM GMT
Hi Kate:

Thanks for mentioning the eastmayo.org website. It's a great help!

I am in the U.S., and have visited Ireland many times. As you know, what you can do there is pretty limited. It's great to have relatives with good memories who are happy to help.

If your great-grandmother was named Doodican, I don't know if you're related. It's always great to meet nice people though!

Warm regards,

Tom Horan

Posted: 3 Aug 2011 12:29AM GMT
Hello Tom, after much researching Honor Doodican, we now think that name is incorrect. Many cousins are remembering their family telling that Dominic Moran married Mary Horan either in Sinolane or Kashel or Cashael (not sure) Any ideas or leads that you can help me with.

Kate Moran Albanese USA - Rhode Island

Posted: 3 Nov 2011 8:28AM GMT
Surnames: Moran, Atkinson
Hi Kathleen,

I'd like to add similar names in my research, and in your search maybe you've come across my family. My GG Grandparents are Dominick Moran and Honora Jennings from County Mayo. They settled in Lake County, Illinois before 1840, probably about 1838-39. They were farmers and the farm next to them was owned by John Atkinson and wife, Catherine Moran. I'm wanting to believe that Catherine and my Dominick were siblings. I sure wish I had a contact in Ireland, but don't. All family members except my mother have passed away.

Have you run across any of those names in your research? Thanks so much for your time!

Barbara

Posted: 4 Nov 2011 12:50AM GMT
Hello Tom: After much searching and again on the eastmayo.org website, I found children of Dominick Moran and Honor Horan who are my cousins here in USA. She was not a Doodican, as I was originally informed. I do have several cousins in Kilkelly who has been helping me - Michael Keane and his sister Mary McDermott. I have not been able to get their birth or death records. I believe they are buried in Auler Abbey Cemetery. Do you have any info that you could share. It is very possible we are related.

Kate Albanese - Rhode Island

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 6:03AM GMT
Edited: 10 Feb 2013 6:39AM GMT
Surnames: Horan Moran Leech Shannon
Hi Kate
My family roots are also in Glan Tavrane.
My Great Granddad was Patrick ("Slin") Horan (his parents were Michael Horan and Bridget Leech). Michael's parents were John and Mary. Patrick's wife was Catherine Moran (her parents were Daniel Moran and Mary "Mamie" Shannon and their wedding also took place at Kilmovee church). Daniel's father was Patrick Moran.
Patrick (Horan) and Catherine both emigrated to and are buried in Bacup, Lancashire England where I now live.

I wonder if your cousin in Kilkelly, is a descendent of Pat Keane (who lived in Gowlaun near Kilkelly and who was already then an old man, when he told an Aunt of mine about 60 years ago, that he visited Mamie Shannon in Stacksteads, near Bacup, and walked the 50 miles there from Liverpool!
I would imagine we are related somehow
Best wishes
Mike

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 7:28PM GMT
Hi Mike,
I have just read this post and decided to get in touch. My gt gt Grandmother was Ellen Shannon b. 1852 and she had a sister Catherine. Ellen's daughter Mary Ellen was born 1876 and baptised in Kilmovee chapel. She moved to Bacup and married John Moran then had my Grandmother in 1897 in Bacup.
On the 1911 English census John Moran states his place of birth as Kilkelly so I am thinking there might be a connection
Eileen

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 8:47PM GMT
Hi Eileen
I'm sure we will be related somehow. There were lots of Morans in Glantavrane near Kilkelly and my GG Grandmother Mary Shannon (b1843) was married in Kilmovee Church to Daniel Moran (b1843). Their daughter was a Catherine (b1872),
What is your mother's name and where did she live in Bacup? If you know the address I could find out more info.
Did she have any brothers or sisters?
And where are you?

Thanks for getting in touch.
Mike
per page

Find a board about a specific topic