Search for content in message boards

Kentucky-Cherokee Nation Arkansas-Canada May family

Kentucky-Cherokee Nation Arkansas-Canada May family

Posted: 28 Apr 2007 3:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: May/Ash
I am looking for my grandmother Alice Ann or N May of Kentucky b.1889. She married my grandfather Edmund James Ash in Alberta or Brant, Ontario c.1908 perhaps. They started having babies in Oct of 1909. I found an Alice May born in USA who was with the Lemuel Holden family in the 1906 in Alberta. This is either not her or she then traveled to Ontario, got married and returned to this location by ?1908-09. Curious. I found this family George W. May 50 in the Cherokee Indian Census of 1900, wife Margrat A. 49 and children James S. 20, Daniel M. 18, Mary F 13, and Allice A 11. Perhaps they ended up in Canada. I had met a George May in Elnora, Alberta in the 50's who told mom he was a 'cousin'. I have no knowledge of my Alice's parents of sibs in Canada nor do I know where she originated in KY. I have pics of Alice and an older white haired woman standing behind her and the 1st 3 babies. The older woman appears to be fairly tall. My grandmother was beautiful as my was my mother. I'd really appreciate even the smallest of clues.

Re: Kentucky-Cherokee Nation Arkansas-Canada May family

Posted: 29 Apr 2007 3:48PM GMT
Surnames: May, Spradley,Floyd, Helms
none of this sounds familiar. The only way I got as far as George May And Margaret Poole was through a death certificate from Dodge County Georgia.John H. May married Lavenia Spradley in Wilcox County Ga . They both died in Dodge County and I got copies of the death cert's . Her parents were not listed . His were listed as George & Margaret. I found census records for them in Dooly County.

Posted: 29 Apr 2007 7:20PM GMT
Thanks and we press on :o)

Posted: 27 Sep 2007 2:29AM GMT
I came across this message board which may help answer a few questions...G.W. May and Magrat or Margaret Kentucky 1850 posted May 2007 with threads through Sept. 2007.

""Hi I'm looking for my grandmother's roots. She was born in Ky 1889 and immigrated to Alberta Canada in 1906. I believe she is the daughter of the following family who homesteaded there. G[eorge?].W. May b. 1850, Margrat or Margaret b. 1851, James S. b 1880, Daniel M b. 1882, Mary F. 1887or8, and my gm Allice or Alice Ann or N b. 1889.
This family has showed up only in Twp 25, Cherokee Nation, Indian Terr in the 1900 US census then in Alberta Canada but I've never found them in Ky but have that stated on Canadian cesus' and my gm always said she was born in Kentucky. I'd appreciate any help I can get.""

AND

""I, too am new at this. In Feb of this year I knew nothing about my grandmother other than the year of her birth, name, and that she came from Kentucky. Things certainly have changed!!. I think the 'Indian connection' maybe that my ggrandfather George and some of his immediate family left Kentucky and on there journey to Canada were in Twp 25, Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory Oklahoma at least long enough to be in a the Federal census of 1900. At the least a brother, a son, a daughter and his wife (my ggrandmother Margaret passed through there. A daughter Mary was married there in I.T. Northern District, Ok., (just 2 months after her 15th birthday) to Hosea M. King whom I presume was not of native heritage. I have the bare bones of the names you sent but only with their middle initials, so you have helped me there but I also have one more name to add to that list after Elias....Margaret R. May b. 20 Feb 1876 d 27 Feb 1876 of Lewis Co.""

Check out the full post. Hope this helps!

Posted: 27 Sep 2007 2:37AM GMT
Surnames: Re: Kentucky-Cherokee Nation Arkansas-Canada May family
Hi Lori.
Those were my posts back in April perhaps I should post an update, sorry about that and thanks.
Ruth

Posted: 15 Oct 2007 2:40AM GMT
LoriMayTitus,
I just read your Sept. 27 post. You are a grandaughter to my Aunt Alice! I never knew who she married or anything about her. Her sister Mary visited us in the 1940's. Aunt Mary was living in Walla Walla, Washington at that time. I have correspondence from her to my parents. My parents are both deceased. My father, Alexander Rader May was the second child of George Washington May. My father was 36 years older than my mother. He died in 1964 long before I was interested in genealogy.
Wilberta Cullison
wcull12232@sbcglobal.net

Posted: 15 Oct 2007 2:40AM GMT
LoriMayTitus,
I just read your Sept. 27 post. You are a grandaughter to my Aunt Alice! I never knew who she married or anything about her. Her sister Mary visited us in the 1940's. Aunt Mary was living in Walla Walla, Washington at that time. I have correspondence from her to my parents. My parents are both deceased. My father, Alexander Rader May was the second child of George Washington May. My father was 36 years older than my mother. He died in 1964 long before I was interested in genealogy.
Wilberta Cullison
wcull12232@sbcglobal.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic