Search for content in message boards

Where did Birthisel's come from

Where did Birthisel's come from

Peter Birthisel (View posts)
Posted: 20 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Birthisel
This family left Liverpool in 1857 for Australia. Noone seems to know where we are from. We were in County Wicklow but before then...??

Please Help if you can.

Peter B

Birthisel Family

wendy williams (View posts)
Posted: 11 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Peter a great site to visit is www.familytreemaker.com/b/i/r/Lester-A-Birtwistle/indexhtm .
My greatgrandfather was Mathew Birthisel (born in Australia) his parents granparents and siblings came here from Wicklow.Which branch of the tree are you from and where are you now?

Wendy..

Reply to Birthisel Enquiry

Posted: 16 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Hi Wendy,

Sorry I took so long in getting back to your message.

To answer your question, I'm not sure which Birthisel
our branch came from.

I have some scattered and sparse info on the departure
dates and arrival of the Birthisel's into Australia.

I have also been in contact with quite a few
Birthisel's in U.S.A. as well (they arrived there
nearly at same time we did!!)

I'll have to dig out the stuff I have and will get
back to you with a bit more detail.

Till next time Wendy

Cheers
Peter J Birthisel

P.S. Thank you for replying again.

P.P.S. Have you found any Birthisel's still living in
Britain??? I couldn't locate a single one!!! Not in
any white pages searches in whole Europe actually.

Birthistle/Birthisel

John Kennedy (View posts)
Posted: 11 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Birthisel, Birthistle
Hello Wendy

Whilst I am looking for information on my mothers
maiden name which is Birthistle,it seems possible
that a surname could be misspelt in the process
of emigration.Birthistle is a very scarce name in
Ireland now,There is an old graveyard in Preban
County Wicklow with five Birthistle gravestones
one dating back to the seventeen hundreds.

Birthisel / Birthistle Enquiry

Posted: 14 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
John,

My name is Peter Birthisel and Wendy had replied to my original posting. I'm sorry to say, that I've recently had some info brought to my attention that the Birthisel Clan are different to the Birthistles!

A gentleman in Melbourne had been to visit County Wicklow and did a bit of investigation and was led to the conclusion that neither family is a derrivative of the other.

Unless you can find out otherwise I'm always keen to discover more about our unique name.

Cheers

Peter Birthisel

Aussie and US Birthisels

Joseph Birthisel (View posts)
Posted: 17 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Glad to see Birthisel discussion. Any help anyone has would be great. Recently received a family tree from a member of the AU branch back to Ireland. I have little info on the US much less the Irish branches.

Re: Birthistle/Birthisel

Posted: 11 Jan 2002 7:39PM GMT
Edited: 13 Apr 2002 8:14PM GMT
Surnames: Birthistle/Pounder/Quinsey
John
I am hoping that you might have some general info on where the Birthistles came from, when settled in Ireland,and that sort of thing. I am decended from an Eliza Birthistle who married Thomas Pounder in Camolin,Co. Wexford about 1828. I don't have a definite birthdate for her but around 1800 I suppose. She eventually came to Ontario, Canada with her second husband and various children.I have not found out anything about the family in Ireland but I'd dearly love to find her parents and siblings. The Wicklow Birthistles must be connected somehow?
Any information you could pass on would be much appreciated.Thanks,
Laurie Dempster

Re: Birthisel Family

Posted: 5 Mar 2003 4:50AM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2003 4:28AM GMT
Surnames: Birthisel - O'neill
Wendy Iam the granddaughter of Annie Ada Birthisel (nee) Giri
married to Matthew Birthisel in 1909 at Toolleen.if there is a connection my grandfather Joseph Patrick O'neill met Annie some time after Matthews death in 1919.and moved to Marybrough where Annie lived up until her death in 1972 aged 84yrs.Annie had 03 sons in this union with O'neill.My father Alan Maxwell O'neill and 02 brothers.
The problem Iam having is finding anything on the O'neills,if you have ANY information you could share regarding any Birthisels living (i know my father had 06 half siblings) would be greatly appreicated.Withs thanks Joy

mary williamson (View posts)
Posted: 1 Feb 2004 2:58AM GMT
My husband's 3rd great-grandmother was Margaret Berthistle/
Birthistle/Borthistle. She married Joseph Page from Carnew in 1825 and the marriage record lists her name as Borthistle.
They emigrated to Perth County, Ontario in 1844. That is all I know about her.

Posted: 1 Feb 2004 3:27PM GMT
Edited: 18 May 2006 1:21PM GMT
Surnames: BIRTHISTLE/Page/Pounder/Quinsey
Mary,
Your posting brings up an interesting development in the Birthistle search. I did a check for Page on my map of Logan Twp. circa 1880 and find J. Page just two lots away from Eliza and her 2nd husband John Quinsey ! I am assuming of course that this is the right J. Page, in Logan Twp. between Dublin and Mitchell ?
Eliza and her husband John Quinsey emigrated about 1850 according to a family source but I haven't been able to verify this. Just that in the 1851 census they have had another child born in Canada by then.
I have some information on Birthistles from the Church registers of Ferns in the north of Co. Wexford. There were several families of them in that area.
I still haven't found out how or when they ended up in Ireland, Birthistle is a north of Engalnd name from Yorkshire/Lancashire.

Did the Page family stay in Logan or move on ? If you have childrens names we can see if they are similar to Eliza'a.
She had Thomas, Mary Ann, Dorothy, Sarah with her first husband Thos. Pounder and John and Ellen or Eloni with her 2nd husband.
Was there any other info on the marriage cert., like her residence? Which parish or Townland were they married in etc.?
Please feel free to email me off-list. I am delighted to hear about another Birthistle living next door to Eliza. I am sure that's why Eliza and John must have chosen Logan Twp.and so likely we have two sisters or cousins perhaps ?
Look forward to hearing more,
Laurie Dempster
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions