Search for content in message boards

Thomas Brown & Mary Pettus

Posted: 22 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Dec 2003 6:35PM GMT
Surnames: Brown, Pettus
I am looking for the father or siblings of Thomas Brown born 1743 of Mecklenburg Co.Va. Thomas married Mary Pettus dau. of Thomas Pettus and Amy Walker. Any help are clues will be greatly appriciated. I have been looking for father or siblings for 6 years now. Thank you. Diana

Posted: 14 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 4 Oct 2001 9:34PM GMT
Surnames: Pettus
I wondered if you have additional information on the PETTUS family

I have been searching for information on William H. PETTUS born about 1832, wife Martha Ann, son William Edward, born 1862. This family lived in Hanover, Henrico, Lunenburg and Mecklenburg counties.

Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Thomas Brown & Mary Pettus

Posted: 10 Nov 2005 1:18AM GMT
One "early VA" Thomas Brown that I have encountered was in Essex County, VA in 1704. I saw no mention of him in later deed, will or tax records in Essex, so I don't know what happened to him. In the 1770s-1780s, a Henry Brown from Essex Co., VA moved to Mecklenburg Co., VA (and he died there in 1797). This Henry Brown was a descendant of Francis Brown "I" who died in Essex Co., VA in the 1690s. There were two Daniel Browns in Essex in 1704, and they were also descendants of Francis Brown "I." I have a lot of information on the family of this Francis Brown, but I have nothing to suggest that Thomas Brown was a relative (ditto Buckingham Brown, Charles Brown and William Brown who were also in Essex in 1704). It does appear that Charles and William Brown were related (Charles Brown appraised William's estate shortly after 1704, as I recall). Anyway, maybe the above will lead to something. Good luck.

Posted: 17 Oct 2011 10:49PM GMT
new email address for me- H.Diana Brown- McCarthy
dianamccarthy@wowway.com.

Posted: 18 Sep 2013 4:13PM GMT
We now have a male Brown DNA donor who shows his lineage back to the Thomas Brown who married Mary Pettus....and his DNA is a match to DNA "Group 26" at the Brown Genealogy Society DNA testing project website. The Francis Brown "I" family out of Essex Co., VA, however, is part of the UNRELATED DNA "Group 10." It also now appears certain that the Cluverius Coleman who was closely associated with the above Thomas Brown was NOT RELATED to the Coleman family (Robert Coleman of Mobjack Bay) that married into the "Group 10" Brown family (based on DNA testing on various members of those two Coleman families). Based on the above, it would now appear to have been no more than just a coincidence that some members of both "Group 10" and "Group 26" ended-up in the Lunenburg/Mecklenburg Co., VA area.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic