Search for content in message boards

Polarek,Smolinski,Kwiakowski

Polarek,Smolinski,Kwiakowski

Posted: 18 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Jan 2002 3:43AM GMT
Surnames: Polarek, Smolinski, Kwiakowski
Looking for information on these families. They lived in Chicago, Cook Co. IL. They came from Poland & lived & worked on Chicago's south side. Thank you,

Lesley

gertiesweetpea@yahoo.com

Polarek, Smolinski, Kwiakowski

Posted: 19 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2001 1:23PM GMT
Surnames: POLAREK, SMOLINSKI, KWIAKOWSKI
I was born and raised in an area of Chicago, known as South Chicago and the name Smolinski was a very common name in the area, not that I can say I knew any personally. You mention these families immigrated from Poland, lived and worked on the south side of Chicago, but don't give a time frame. How much research have you done on these families? Are you trying to learn when they came to the U.S., and where they lived in Poland? Having a family member of these names reply to your posting, is a chance in a trillion. The internet is a great "tool" for family research, but it dosn't replace the hard core search. If these families immigrated in the late 1800's, 1900's; the federal census records for 1900, 1910 and 1920 hold a wealth of information. These records will tell you when they came to the U.S., if they were naturalized, etc. If they were naturalized, a search for their naturalization papers (through the INS) will tell you when they immigrated, the port of departure and entry, the name of the ship and where they were born. If they were not naturalized, and were alive in 1940, you can also request a copy of their Alien Registration Form, which will give almost the same information. Also, if they were alive in 1940 and had completed a Social Security Application, this form will also give you some genealogical information. Without a time frame and knowing just exactly what you're looking for, it's difficult to put you on the right avenue of research.

Posted: 20 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Wow! Right in my back yard! My paternal grandparents were married in St. Michael's in 1895 and the family remained parishioners for years. Other relatives were members of Immaculate Conception. I attended St. Mary Magdalene grade school and St. Michael's High School. I have the Index To The Obituaries and Death Notices which appeared in the Dziennik Chicagoski and in the 1890 - 1899 issue, there is listed, SMOLINSKI, Stanislaw, see: SLUPKOWSKA, Honorata. Going to Slupkowska, I found SLUPKOWSKA, Honorata, 14 Feb. 1899, age 74, daug. Zofia, son-in-law Stanislaw Smolinski. I found some early deaths in the Cook County Death Index 1871 - 1916, which I viewed on microfische at the LDS FHL. What's neat about this index is that it gives the address of the deceased at the time of death, which made it easier for me to identify. There is also a 1916-1947 Illinois Death Index which can be viewed at various genealogical libraries (and at a small library in Lockport, IL). Once you have the exact date of death, you can request a copy of the death certificate through the internet (1916 - 1947). I too face the same dilema as you, my great grandparents immigrated in 1885, with 4 children. Their other children were born in South Chicago (on Brandon Ave.) and baptized at St. Michael's. My great grandfather was naturalized prior to 1900 and we have been unable to locate his records.
Have you tried the Polish Genealogical web site? www.pgsa.org They have various databases which may offer some help. Such as insurance records, etc.

Dell, formerly of South Chicago

Thank you so much for you help. Yes I already have the Census for these families. I have church records from St. Michal & Immaculate Conception Churches. I have all their death certificates & Marriages for Cook Co. I have all the cemetery records that I can find. But I am lacking some connections. I have some miscelleaneous names that don't fit in the family group, yet they have the same surnames & they were witnesses at marriages & named Godparents.
My goal is to find out WHERE in Poland they came from so I can start my research there. I was hoping to find a long lost cousin who might have a family Bible or some other information.
They all came in about 1881 -1885 Naturalization records that I have found have basically not alot of genealogical information.They just came TOO early. I have even found some pasenger lists... but no town listed only countries.
#1 My Smolinski's lived at 8018 S. Marquette
dau. Rose Smolinski Polarek. Residence about 1985- 1944 Then son Andrew Polarek lived there from 1944-abt 1960's.
#2 mother Agnes Smolinski at 8406 Exchange Ave. We believe her husband's name is Stanley.He died before 1899 but I don't know when & I can not find them on a census since 1890 is gone. I am looking hoping to look into a city directory.
#3 son Lawrence Smolinski married 1894 had a tavern on the south side. abt 1920.
#4 son John Smolinski WWI vet, lived on the S. side
#5 dau. Francis Smolinski Rozak S. Side married 1895
#6 son Joseph Smolinski married 1905
#7 son Mike Smolinski...North side of Chicago married 1905

Thank you for your time & help.

Lesley

gertiesweetpea@yahoo.com

Have found the PGSA website has added a new feature, "Marriage Index of Polish Parishes in Chicago". You need to go to "Databases" on the left and then scroll down to the Index. A great site.
Dell

Smolinski, Polarek, Kwiatkowski

Posted: 21 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Smolinski, Polarek, Kwiatkowski
Hi Dell,
Thanks for all your good hints. I was raised on the South side at 78th & Burnham. Went to South Shore HS. My mom went to Mercy HS & my uncle to Mt. Carmel. My dad went to Hirsch.
Most of my family worked at US Steel. I spent alot of my time at Rainbow beach. Most of my family went to St. Michal's, St. Mary Magdalene, or Immaculate Conception.
My Smolinski's lived at Rose Smolinski Polarek)8018 Marquette & 8406 Exchange Agnes Smolinski
The Smolinski children were 1 Katie unmarried
2 Francis 3 Joseph 4 John unmarried 5 Mike 6 Rose & 7 Lawrence all born in the very late 1800's.

Thanks again for your hints.

Lesley

gertiesweetpea@yahoo.com

Posted: 21 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
This is a GREAT database!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I found lots of relatives!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bless the man that did it. He has done a wonderful job on the Polish site.

Now Illinois has to get with the program & get a death database on line.

Lesley

Smolinski,Polarek,Kwiatkowski

Posted: 4 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 16 Mar 2002 4:42PM GMT
Surnames: Kwiatkowski, Osinski, Derkowski, Oles, Quandt
I have been working on the Paul & Julia Kwiatkowski line for years. They immigrated to South Chicago in 1890 and Agnes Smolinski became a godparent for their son Joseph Kwiatkowski at the Immaculate Conception Church. He is my grandfather and I have felt that the Smolinskis are related to me but I haven't proven anything yet.

Also, I believe that the Derkowskis and Osinskis are related to the Kwiatkowskis because my grandmother's maiden name in America is Osinski and both families are godparents. Marion Derkowski was a witness on Paul's naturalization record and a relative told me that Julia's mother was in America but they didn't know her name. A Chicago death record for Mary Osinski shows her birthplace as Grutta which is in West Prussia. Living relatives did not know where my family came from except West Prussia.

Fortunately I have located the Catholic Parish records for Gruta, Bydgoscz, Poland, (there are several films that you can search at your local Family History Center). I did see the name Smolinski but haven't made a family connection yet. Finding your query was such a surprise; it would be nice to know if we are somehow related.

Kwiatkowski

Posted: 10 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Feb 2003 1:54AM GMT
Surnames: Gabryszak, Majewski, Kwiatkowski, Mazurkiewicz, Budnick
I am tracing the Kwiatkowski family of Martin and Agnes (Strazewski) Kwiatkowski. If this name has a match or if you want to exchange info you can email me.

Thanks,
Michael

Kwiatkowski

Georgette Hedberg (View posts)
Posted: 25 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Kwiatkowski, Osinski, Derkowski, Budzik
I have noticed your family in the Cook County Census records and wondered if our Kwiatkowski's were linked. So far I haven't come across your family in the Gruta records that I have been searching.

You can find my family info. in the Ancestral File at Familysearch.com. Have you placed your family info anywhere?
I am interested in seeing what you have.

Thanks for writing,
Georgette
per page

Find a board about a specific topic