Search for content in message boards

Alexander C Brooks

Alexander C Brooks

Posted: 23 Jun 2012 3:09PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: Brooks
Looking for the burial place of Alexander C Brooks, son of Parham, in Person County, NC. May be in the Mt. Tirzah area. Died between 1892 - 1900.

Re: Alexander C Brooks

Posted: 27 Jun 2012 3:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am descended from Alexander Brooks' sister,Martha, who married Alexander Jones. Based on census records, the two of them lived near each other on Deep Creek. Although I don't have proof, I think it is possible that Alexander Brooks was buried on the property which is located somewhere on Welch-Whitfield Road. Check the listing on this web site cemetery surveys for the Cates listing. I was told that there was another graveyard in that vicinity, but the graves may all be unmarked. I would like for someone to check it out. Have you read the article on Parham Jones in Person County Heritage, Vol III? I would like to hear from you.

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 3:37AM GMT
There is a Cates cemetery on Welch Whitfield Rd, behind a house. There are only 3 burials here.
C C Cates, his wife Kate, and Mary who was wife of J M Chandler.

We were told there used to be a cemetery (with Brooks) across the street in a field, but the fieldstones, which were in the water way, have all been removed by farming. It is my understanding that the people were not moved. That may be where your folks are located. I would suggest doing some research on land records to get any further information.

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 12:54PM GMT
Thanks.

Is this in Person County ?

Posted: 1 Feb 2013 9:44AM GMT
Yes, it is in Person County.

Posted: 1 Feb 2013 4:57PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: Brooks
I'm sorry. I missed your post last June. No ... I have not read about Parham Jones.

I live in Madison. My ggf William Bradley was Alexander's son. My gf was Joseph Vivian. They lived at the corner of Dink Ashley and Ed Brooks road.

Alexander was the only prisoner in the Person County Jail when the 1890 Census was conducted. Do you know why he was in jail ?

I remember a story from early childhood about someone stealing a ham from a smoke house to feed their kids. This might have been Alexander.

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 2:42PM GMT
Surnames: Jones, Brooks
Alexander Brooks' sister Sarah was married to Alexander Jones. They were cousins. In 1860, the Jones Family and the Brooks Family were living next to each other. The census taker wrote Alex Brooch instead of Brooks. The lived on Deep Creek in the area of the graveyard that I mentioned. I would like to contact you as I don't have anything on your branch of the family. Alex Jones was my ancestor.

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 6:31PM GMT
You can follow the line on Acestory.com. Search for "Brooks Family Tree". The Person Co Reg of Deeds also has a book on the Brooks Family.

Briefly .,..

Richard Brooks ca 1665 Probably the Immigrant to Va
Robert b .1700
John Thomas 1748-1840 - moved to the Bethel Hill Church area off 15-501 in 1783. Left his kids in Person, but moved back to Halifax Co , Va . It was only about 5 miles. He is buried at Cluster Springs with a DAR plaque over his grave site.

David 1770- 1842 buried near Bethel Church. His grave is still there with an unmarked stone.

Parham 1794-1865 - still Bethel area, but flooded by Hyco Lake
Alexander 1829-1892 ? Mt Tirizah
William Bradley 1854-1914 at the intersection of Dink Ashley & Ed Brooks (his son) road.

My gf Joseph Vivian 1889-1966 buried Durham
My father John Wesley 1919-1973 buried Durham
Me ... Larry John 1943 - still kicking.

My address: 1679 McCollum Rd
Madison, NC 27025
per page

Find a board about a specific topic