Search for content in message boards

Edward Dowd born Sligo c 1848

Edward Dowd born Sligo c 1848

Posted: 7 Dec 2004 8:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dowd/Haffey
Moved to Sunderland, England some time before 1867. Anyone know of any of the Dowd family from Sligo?

Thanks

Andrea

Re: Edward Dowd born Sligo c 1848

Posted: 8 Dec 2004 2:47PM GMT
Edited: 31 Jan 2005 9:32AM GMT
I came upon your request by chance. Rather than Edward Dowd from Sligo I am related to Edward Dowdican (my great Granfather) from Sligo.......I believe he was born in about 1848 and came to Sunderland some time before 1881. If this could be the same person please get in touch. I have information about him and his descendants, and am looking for more information about him and his parents/grandparents etc.

regards

Anthony Lyons

Posted: 9 Dec 2004 5:20PM GMT
Anthony

Dowdican is always a possibility - My Edward married Catherine Haffey, born 1849 Co Leitrim, in Sunderland in 1867 so he was definitely there then. Edward and Catherine had at least one daughter, also named Catherine who was born in 1880 but I believe that they also had another four childrenm Hugh (Hubert) born 1869, John born 1875, Edward born 1884 and margaret born 1891.

Do any of these names ring any bells?

Thanks

Andrea

Posted: 10 Dec 2004 9:17AM GMT
Edited: 31 Jan 2005 9:32AM GMT
Thanks for the reply, but it looks like the Edwards are 2 different people. Edward Dowdican married Margaret Farrell in Sunderland in 1878, and subsequent generations were called Dowdican/Dowdigan/Donnegan - depending on who was spelling the name!

regards

Anthony Lyons

Posted: 30 Jan 2005 5:41PM GMT
Edited: 5 Aug 2006 3:41PM GMT
Surnames: Hoy, Dowdigan, Farrell
Edward Dowdigan was my grandfather born in Sligo in abt. 1854 (reckoning age from 1881 census). He married Margaret Farrell in 1878 and I am descended from their 2nd youngest daughter Ellen.
Please get in touch so we can maybe exchange info.

Katie

Posted: 31 Jan 2005 9:44AM GMT
Hi Katie

thanks for the reply. I have been able to find out a lot about my immediate forebears from Edward Dowdican/Dowdigan/Donnegan downwards, ie that he married Margaret Farrell and had 10 children, several of whom died young or in childbirth. In fact Margaret died in childbirth giving birth to Bridget who also died. Consequently the youngest child was Catherine (Katie) who was my grandmother. Katie married Charles Hill from Hetton, whose oldest daughter (Frances) was my mother. I can remember my mother mentioning her Auntie Ellen (Nellie).

Please get in touch so that we can compare notes.

regards

Anthony Lyons (ex Houghton-le-Spring, living in Sussex)

Posted: 11 Nov 2012 9:42PM GMT
Does anyone know of tommy dowsing of ny the youngest fire chief who oddly died trying to save his ice in a fire

Posted: 11 Nov 2012 9:43PM GMT
Sorry tat should say. Tomm Dowdigan

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 1:26PM GMT
Although your relative could be related to Edward, I do not have any information about a Tomm Dowdigan. Sorry & Good Luck with your search.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic