Search for content in message boards

McDonalds of the Isle of Skye

McDonalds of the Isle of Skye

R H Bennett (View posts)
Posted: 11 Dec 2004 9:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
I would like to locate a book on the McDonald's of the Isle of Skye, particularly
Donald McDonald and his son
Donald McDonald 1775-1780 who married married Jane McLeod
Randolph [Randall] McDonald 1797-1864 married Catherine Miller
William Angus McDonald Ware County Georgia, USA married Tabitha Sweat

Re: McDonalds of the Isle of Skye

Kimberly Murray (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jan 2005 4:40AM GMT
Hello, I came across your post and I know that my mother is related to the bennetts and mcdonalds quite closely. In fact Mary Mcdonald, (I think she is the daughter of Dr. Mcdonald) is her great grandmother or something like that. Anyways Dr. Randall McDonald is from the Isle of Skye and mom has a book that has some information on them. You may already have it. It is in storage, I will look for it and tell you how many pages it has of the McDonalds in it. It may also have a reference in the back that may tell where the McDonald source came from. Please email me back and I will get back with you.

Linda Carter (View posts)
Posted: 22 Aug 2005 12:39AM GMT
Surnames: McDonald
I have a Mary McDonald, daughter of James McDonald, son of Randall McDonald from Isle of Sky in Scotland. James McDonald is shown to have married Sarah Carruthers. Can you verify any of this? Mary was married to Fleming Fowler Adrian if this is the same Mary McDonald. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted: 22 Aug 2005 10:34AM GMT
Hi Linda,
I've asked my husband's cousin Jack to respond to your query as he knows the most about the McDonalds of the Isle of Skye.
Thanks so much for your post.
R H Bennett

Diane S Sanfilippo (View posts)
Posted: 23 Aug 2005 12:48PM GMT
Surnames: Stark(e), York, Bond, Bowen, McDonald, Quailes, Wozencraft, Butler,Malcom,Hawk,Brown, Cunningham, etc.
Hi -
I have done extensive research on this family - James was my g?grandfather ...
please email me at dsanfilippo303@adelphia.net for more information.
James and his family were Clan Sleat, known so because they were Presbyterian, and the McDonalds of Skye who helped Bonnie Prince Charlie and fought at Culloden were Clan Ranald and always were and still are Jacobites - Catholic...
yes, James was married to Sarah 'Nancy' Carruthers but after her death, presumably in childbirth, he married a widow, Nancy Bailey Mize who raised his children and give him another five to include my ancestor.
Diane
Diane

R H Bennett (View posts)
Posted: 23 Aug 2005 1:31PM GMT
Does any of your information include a Donald McDonald who was a sheriff on the Isle of Skye. I do not know the name of his wife. I think his child was Donald McDonald [born about 1776] who married Jane McClod and had son Ranald [Randall?]. They arrived in Wilmington, North Carolina in 1805.

Any of this ring a bell?

Diane S Sanfilippo (View posts)
Posted: 24 Aug 2005 6:23AM GMT
Surnames: Stark(e), York, Bond, Bowen, McDonald, Quailes, Wozencraft, Butler,Malcom,Hawk,Brown, Cunningham, etc.
I do have a Donald but not one born in 1776. Our Donald was the youngest of the four brothers (or was he the son of the oldest brother, Ranald?), and was just a child of 6 when he arrived with his brothers before 1776 when the port at Wilmington N.C. was closed...
There is a story on the web that states their father was murdered, thus his mother sent the child with them - or was he the son of another brother? We will probably never know. I have learned that family stories without documentation are just that - stories... and I cannot count the # I have squashed in my own family!
I have not researched this family on Skye since I felt the task to be formidable and did not care to pay anyone else to do it -maybe someday. Right now I am sticking with my goal, to locate the home country, the region if possible, and why any certain ancestor came to the Colonies... and the reasons are varied, as one might expect. One the most compelling reasons was the oldest son get it all rule - and I was sad to see it kept up in some families, even in the Colonies.
Sorry - I think you will need to hunt on the Scottish webpages if you can find some you don't have to pay to research!
Diane
M

Posted: 7 Oct 2010 2:44AM GMT
Hi

I am hoping you will be able to point me in the right direction re Isle of Skye McDonalds.
We have been told through the years that Annie Mcdonald born abt 1760s or earlier was related to same history as yours she married into Neilson/Nelson family or maybe Ferguson line.
Many thanks for your assistance
Kind Regards
Sue

Posted: 7 Oct 2010 11:55AM GMT
Kimberly,
Did you ever find that book on the te McDonald's of the Isle of Skye?
Could you get the name of it for me so I can search the Internet for a copy, please?
If you want to reply off message board, reach me at
gene-data@earthlink.net
Thanks
Renee

Posted: 9 Oct 2010 11:22AM GMT
There were two distinctly different McDonald families on Skye - as I stated in my last email...
James McDonald, my 4th great-grandfather also came through the port of Wilmington so it had to be before it was closed by the British... and he was married twice!
James McDonald b. 1756 Isle of Skye d. 20 Jan 1829 Homer, Banks (or is it Franklin?) County, Georgia.
spouse:

James traveled with his older brother, Ranald (also his father's name); younger brother Hugh and after a lot of work, I believe that the youngest member of the family, Donald, just a youth, was the son of another brother who remained behind, probably to care for his mother... but later came to settle in Banks County, Georgia.
McDonald's of Sleat, the clan of James and his family) were also known as Lord of the Isles (now 'owned' by Prince Charles)- they WERE Presbyterians.
Now the McDonald's of Clan Ranald were CATHOLIC - they were the 'Jacobites', fought at Culloden, although Prince Charles (Bonnie Prince Charlie)was helped by the wife of the clan chief of the McDonald's of Sleat.
I do not have any information on the family in Sleat - and can only 'guess' their names.. which I loathe to do!
you can email me and I will send what I have... but it is considerable - and as far as I know, there is no book written that contains this family.
Join Electric Scotland (free) - they have a lot of books on their site... this is their most recent newsletter - it will take years to see everything on their site!
http://www.electricscotland.org/showthread.php/798-Newslette...

James McDonald remained in Banks County, Georgia until his death - Hugh moved to Cherokee County (present day Whitfield), and it is said that Ranald, not approving of slavery, moved somewhere 'up north' - I suspect he moved NW and many of this family ended up in Indiana.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions