Search for content in message boards

Weiser Newspaper

Weiser Newspaper

Posted: 22 Jan 2012 5:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stine
I'm working on Civil War Vets buried in Polk Co., Oregon. The obit of one Jacob H. Stine, Civil War Vet from PA tells that he was a newspaperman who made a career of starting newspapers - one of these was the Weiser City Ledger, Weiser, Idaho.
Can anyone tell me when this would have been? Jacob H. Stine apparently moved around and missed census. From Idaho he moved to Heppner, OR, then Grant's Pass, OR, Lebanon, OR and finally to Independence, OR where he was killed in 1891.
Pam Smith
Dallas, OR

Re: Weiser Newspaper

Posted: 10 Feb 2012 7:52PM GMT
Hi,
There are two newspapers in that area. One of these might have been started by Jacob.

Upper Country Report, Box 9, 155 Superior St., Cambridge, ID 83610, 257-3515

Weiser Signal-American, http://www.ruralnetwork.net/~newsroom/, Box 709, 18 E. Idaho St., Weiser 83672
549-1717.

The Snake River Heritage Center, 2295 Paddock Avenue, Weiser, ID 83672-1195, 208-549-0205 also might have that info. Successful Searching!

Posted: 10 Feb 2012 8:13PM GMT
Thanks Judy, I'll check those suggestions out.

Pam

Posted: 11 Feb 2012 4:19AM GMT
The first paper I see for the Weiser City Leader is 8-31-1882, by Stine & Mitchell.

Is that the info you are seeking?

Cheryl

Posted: 11 Feb 2012 4:45AM GMT
Cheryl, I do believe that would be the one. The obituary called it the Weiser City Ledger, so now I see that was a typo in the obit. It's great to finally have a date and confirm name of newspaper. Thanks so much.
Pam Smith
Dallas, OR

Posted: 11 Feb 2012 4:52AM GMT
Your welcome. Sorry I wasn't following this thread sooner.
Cheryl

Posted: 11 Feb 2012 5:21AM GMT
Your information led me to take another look for the newspaper using the correct name and sure enough it did come up on "South Fork Companion" a blogspot where there was information about the Weiser Signal and about it's first publisher who got his start on the Weiser Leader. This doesn't name Stine, but does say the Leader was founded by two partners - one with considerable experience and one with none.

Great stuff, Thanks again!
Pam Smith
Dallas, OR
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions