Search for content in message boards

Duncan McPherson

Duncan McPherson

Posted: 9 Sep 2005 2:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McPherson
I am seeking information on Duncan McPhersonb. 1805. He, I Believe, is the son of Randall McPherson b. avt 1766 d8ed aftern1816. In 1816 he was living in Green Co., MS neighbor to Roderick McDuffie. Randall McPherson' first marriage was to Christian McDuffie, b. 1762 on Isle of Skye in Scotland. She and Randall married in North Carolina and produced 5 children. Mary McPherson, Alexandeer McPherson, John McPherson, b.1803, Daniel McPherson, and Duncan McPherson born 1805.I know Duncan was born in N. C., and John Also. In the 1850 Census, Duncan was shown in Madison County, LA. Living in his household were Alexandeer, Age 5, James R. age 11, and William Wesley, age 17. Also there were John age 45, who was listed as idiotic on the census. There were also two women living with them. A charlotte McCall, age 62 and Florence McCall, age 28. It is my feeling that these were Duncan's deceased wife's mother and sister. However, in 1860 Duncan is listed with Alexander 15 and James R., age 21, but without the rest of them. William Wesley had gone to Jasper County and married there. I have further traced Duncan to Hinds County in 1840 and there were living with him, Ub 1830, He shows up in Hinds County, which is located about 50 miles from Madison Parish, where he settled. In his household in 1830
he listed 4 males under 5, 3 between 30and 40, 1 female under 5. 1 female between 5 and 10, 2 females , betweeen 20 and 30 and 1female between 30 and 40 and 1 female between 40 and 50. This means Several household members either died or left before the 1850 Census. Of course, that is the first census with Names of all household members.

I am seeking information on him between 1816 when he lived at home in Greene County, MS and 1850. I am descended from William Wesley McPherson and have had no response querying his descendants. I am also interested in ancestry prior to 1816.

I appreciate your considering to share information.

You can reach me at sandrafrank@bellsouth.net.

Sandra Frank.

Re: Duncan McPherson

Posted: 5 Feb 2006 11:17PM GMT
Surnames: McPherson
There is a possibility that your Randal McPherson was the older brother or uncle of Duncan McPherson who lived in the Moore County, North Carolina area from earlier than 1810 and until about 1838.
This Duncan McPherson had about nine children the youngest of whom was named Randal/Randall.

Randal McPherson and at least one other brother John Templeton McPherson and a sister Margaret Rawnsley/Ronsley moved to Indiana before 1840. From there they later moved to Iowa. John on to Nebraska where he died.

These three children all married Quakers and presumably moved out of North Carolina in part due to their feelings against slavery.

As for your Randal McPherson I have the following from an abstract of the 1790-1800-1810 Census by Richard Prall in his book "The McPherson and Miller Families".

All of these are North Carolina Census

1790: Randell McPherson page 48 Fayette District, Robinson Co., 1male, 2 female, no slaves.

1800: Randal McPherson, page 399, Robeson Co.,
1 male over 45, 2 males under 10, 1 female 26 to 45, 1 female 10 - 16, 3 females under 10, no slaves.

1810: Rahdal McPherson, page 399, Robeson Co.
(Richard Prall did not detail this census).

Re: Duncan McPherson

Posted: 8 Feb 2006 2:30AM GMT
Edited: 8 Apr 2006 3:20AM GMT
I appreciate your answer, and will look into it further. However, I believe this Duncan, from the information I lhave, followed a different route, across the northern US rather than south, and then west. I believe he came down through SC or his parents may have moved there with him, then through GA
Ala, and MS and finally to Louisiana. We find him still in LA in kthe 1860 census, so he probably stayedthere.I will follow up though, and if anything turns, I will let you know.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic