Edited: 27 Jun 2001 12:31AM GMT
Surnames: Miller
Thank you. The site is very helpful.

Schuylkill County Almshouse and Hospital for Insane

Posted: 20 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 8:00AM GMT
Hi Linda,

I've included a link below to a site entitled "The Poorhouse Story." At the left of the page click on "Poorhouses by State" then click on "Pennsylvania" and then on "Schuylkill County." You'll find a postcard of the Schuylkill County Almshouse and Hospital for Insane as well as a post by a relative of someone who once worked there. You may find some helpful advice or information at this site.

Best of Luck!
~Colleen

Hospital for the Insane

Posted: 20 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jun 2001 12:31AM GMT
Surnames: Miller
I think I found a family member I've been looking for -- in the Schuylkill County Hospital for the Insane in 1920. Does anyone know anything about the hospital and its records? Thanks, Linda Miller

Re: Schuylkill County Almshouse

Posted: 11 Dec 2010 10:35PM GMT
Did you have any luck with this? I've also found what I believe to be a relative in the Schuylkill County Almshouse in 1920 and would really like to know if there is any way to find more information about the inmates there at the time.

Posted: 12 Dec 2010 4:01PM GMT
Call or write to Rest Haven
ask or address it to the attention of Medical Records.

Schuylkill County Home--Rest Haven
401 University Dr
Schuylkill Haven, PA17972

Phone: (570) 385-0331
Fax: (570) 385-1007

I know you might be able to look at the records of home (older records)if you live nearby. They are held at archives at courthouse, but you need a permission letter from Medical Records at Rest Haven. So I would contact Rest Haven first.
Hope I helped
Joanne

Posted: 13 Dec 2010 6:00AM GMT
Thanks Joanne! I don't live anywhere near Pennsylvania, so thank you for the addresses and I'm excited to hear that (with proper permission) records are actually available! Thanks so much!

Posted: 14 Jan 2011 7:04PM GMT
Hi. I just contacted their records department and some of the "records" are still kept right at the nursing home. The original building was torn down. Unfortunately, medical records are only kept for 7 years, so I got very little info on my relative who was there from 1939-1962. The records manager (very nice and helpful, and who turned out to be a distant relation!) found what she could and is faxing me the info today. Some of it is only kept on index cards. Good luck.

Posted: 14 Jan 2011 10:24PM GMT
Good for you, she is very helpful.
The courthouse also has some records, but not much
and you have to go thru the records dept at home and get permission letter from them to go and look at them.
The records are filthy and in sad shape, I've seen them.

Joanne

Posted: 31 Jul 2011 3:46AM GMT
Surnames: Delaney
Thanks Joanne! Your info. is very helpful. I just found out about a relative (Delaney)who was listed there in the 1930 census. Is it worth the trip to see the records? Do you know if they just have names listed or actual info. on the person and some background?

Posted: 27 Dec 2013 11:09PM GMT
Hi Jill,

I have been in the tombs at the Schuylkill County Courthouse many times to conduct research. The staff is most accommodating and will do just about anything to assist you in getting the answers you seek.

I have utilized the Almshouse records numerous times for various research avenues and found them to be as complete as any of that era. Let's keep in mind that when you ended up at the "poor house" you were at the end of your rope in most cases. Families dropped off relatives who were "different" and didn't fit the model of a relative you wanted others to see. Many indigents ended up there when they were found in the county.

As for the condition of the records, they are in many cases over 100 years old. Years ago the only reason there was any records kept was the almshouses were funded by state and county funds and the facilities had to prove each person that was in the facility to receive funding that kept them open.

I strongly urge everyone doing research to obtain and utilize gloves that prevent the oils and other chemicals from their hands from further destroying the records. As researchers, we have a responsibility to help maintain all proof/records of the past in the best condition as possible for those who conduct research after we do. As for authorization to see these records, I have never been asked for anything in order to utilize/view them.

The staff at Rest Haven is most helpful and compassionate in regards to those who were residents at the Almshouse. They respect the past and the memory of those who were there in years past. There is a cemetery behind Rest Haven where the Almshouse residents were buried. Please do not drive across the cemetery, as most of the graves are unmarked. Look at the topography of the "field" for the proof. On the fringe of the cemetery are the graves of those who were buried most recently. They are marked with PVC crosses and their names. There are several veterans buried there and someone has taken the time to contact the VA for the government supplied bronze markers that mark their final resting places. An auxiliary from Rest Haven takes care of the cemetery and does a very nice job of remembering those that everyone else found so east to simply forget.

Good luck with your research. Please feel free to contact me for any assistance, as I am local to the courthouse and will gladly help any researcher.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions