Search for content in message boards

Bristol Herald Courier Archives

Bristol Herald Courier Archives

Posted: 30 Jul 2008 3:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello,

I am looking for the archives for the Bristol Herald Courier newspaper. This paper looks to have merged with the Kingsport Times. Is this true?

Where may I find the archives? I need an obit dated May 25, 1928.

I look forward to your reply so that my search may continue.

Thank you.

Re: Bristol Herald Courier Archives

Posted: 30 Jul 2008 2:00PM GMT
Edited: 3 Aug 2008 6:14AM GMT
I don't know about the Bristol newspaper, but ancestry.com has the Kingsport Times 1916 - 1977 digitized and on line. Perhaps
you can find what your looking for there.
Yvonne in NJ

Posted: 30 Jul 2008 3:25PM GMT
If you don't find the information on the obit in the Bristol Herald Courier that you are looking for, let me know and I will see if I can get out to the King College Library for you one day next week.

Sallie

Posted: 30 Jul 2008 5:03PM GMT
Surnames: Underwood, Weeks
Thanks Sally.

There are two articles I am looking for in the Bristol Herald Courier. These articles are about the death of Dr. B. L. Underwood, Sr. His full given name is Barney Lafayette Underwood.

The first one is titled, "Colored Doctor Dies in Bristol". It is in the May 25, 1928 issue, column 1, 2 and 3, on page 12.

The second one is a continuation about his death. It details the funeral. It is in May 28, 1928 issue, column 1, page 3. I do not know the title of this article.

The other question that I have for you is this... if you go out there and are able to look at this reel, will you look up one more thing for me please?

In the obituary dated May 25, 1928 it stated he had been married only 3 weeks and 3 days. Will you go back 3 weeks and 3 days in the Bristol Herald Courier and see if you can find the wedding or marriage announcement. I believe his wife was out of Richmond, VA. Her first name was Ruby. I believe her last name is Weeks.

I appreciate your help and look forward to your reply. Thank you.

Posted: 30 Jul 2008 5:04PM GMT
Thanks for your reply. The Bristol Herald Courier and the Kingsport Times are two different newspapers with two different histories. I wish it was that simple to look through the Kingsport one for the information that I need. However, it is not listed in this newspaper.

Thank you again for your reply.

Posted: 3 Aug 2008 12:23PM GMT
Edited: 5 Aug 2008 7:53AM GMT
Surnames: South
Sallie,

If you can help with James Eward South I would greatly appreciate it.

An article from the "Bluefield Dailey Telegraph" Bluefield WV, dated 7 April, 1904, states:
Insurance Man Killed by Train-----Bristol, Tenn., April 6--A horrible accident occurred on the Southern yards here this morning when an incoming passenger train ran down James South, solicitor and collector for the Metropolitan Insurance Company, killing him instantly. He stepped on the main line track to dodge a moving switch engine and was struck by the passenger train. The deceased was 45 years old and leaves a widow and four children who reside here.

Family tradition has James dying at age 42. This article with an age of 45 matches close to the age listed in the 1900 census and further establishes his birth before 1860.
I have James 23 December 1855 to 6 April 1904 for now.
His grave site is at the Paperville United Methodist Church Cemetery on Church Circle off the Paperville Road and Old Jonesborough Road. It has a flat stone with the following inscription: "JAMES E. SOUTH BORN DEC 23, 1855 DIED APR. 6, 1904 A precious one has gone. A voice we loved is stilled. A place is vacant in our home. Which never can be filled.". At the top of the stone was a symbol, the Lodge symbol of the Junior Order of United American Mechanics. The symbol has a carpenter's square cradling a compass with an arm and the hand is holding a mallet. The birth date of 1855 may or may not be correct. Family information and some census data has James birth in 1862. Other census data has his birth in 1857. I will go with his tombstone data until I know for sure.

Posted: 3 Aug 2008 1:27PM GMT
Edited: 5 Aug 2008 7:53AM GMT
I'll see what I can do. I've promised to go by the King College library this week, and I'll swing thru Paperville also. Do you have a photo of the gravestone?

Sallie

Posted: 3 Aug 2008 8:20PM GMT
Edited: 5 Aug 2008 7:54AM GMT
Yes attached.
Attachments:

Posted: 4 Aug 2008 11:20PM GMT
It has been awhile back, but it seems like to me I found them at a local college.

Posted: 5 Aug 2008 4:27AM GMT
You found who at a local college? What local college? What source? What did you find?

Details please :)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions