Search for content in message boards

David Dunn

David Dunn

Posted: 22 Aug 2005 4:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for any information, especially regarding country of origin, for this subject, my 6th gr.grandfather who authored a will in Craven County, NC in 1768

Re: David Dunn

Posted: 15 Dec 2006 4:28AM GMT
I noticed your posting on David Dunn of Craven County with a will dated 1768. I've been researching these Dunns for awhile because I'm fairly certain my David Dunn connects there. I think this David who died 1768 was a brother of Newman Dunn of Craven. This will was administered by a younger David Dunn (son or nephew), and the older David gave his land to this younger David. I think the younger David in the 1768 is the one who died 1785 Craven (have a copy of his will), leaving a widow Katy Dunn (Catherine Franck Dunn probably). Another younger David involved with that 1785 David Dunn estate is most likely a son of William Dunn (the only younger David left there after 1785) and grandson of Newman Dunn. This youngest David I "think" is the one that married Anne Custis and is later the David Sr. in Twiggs Co GA 1818 with David Jr. along with some others (William, James, Jesse Dunn).

Let me know your thoughts here. Maybe we can compare notes.

Thanks,
Gary

Posted: 15 Dec 2006 9:57PM GMT
Surnames: Dunn
It appears we definitely have connections, and I would LOVE to compare notes. It will have to wait until after the holidays, but I will put a reminder in my calendar to get in touch when I have more time. Thanks so much for the reply to my posting.

Posted: 9 Jan 2011 7:04PM GMT
Not sure but believe we may have a connectios to your david dunn b. 1718 craven nc. My joseph e dunn b.1855 TN parents are; James C Dunn b.1820(est) NC and Martha Arnold B.1827 TN. From other research showing that Jame C Dunn father was Elijah Dunn. I hope I'm correct in my research. Reason being trying to connect the dots on my gfather Charles Edward Dunn s/o Joseph E Dunn b.1878 m. Nina Hicks s/o Joseph E Dunn b.1855 m. Nancy McClard. We greatly appreciate any input. Thanks Karen

Posted: 11 Jan 2011 4:57AM GMT
Hi Karen,

Based on findings, I descend from Newman Dunn born 1714 who was in Craven Co NC. I theorized that David Dunn born around the same time (and seemingly connected based on records) might be his brother. The YDNA results comparing two lines of Dunn male descendants are unclear as to that assumed connection.

If you can email me, I'd like to compare your findings with my Dunn research.
Thanks,
Gary
gkcarson@aol.com

Posted: 28 Apr 2011 6:17PM GMT
Hi Gary,

I am descended from William Jackson Dunn, born 1816 in Twiggs Co.GA. He was the son of David Dunn of New Bern, Craven Co. NC. He married Matilda Hancock and moved to Elmore Co., AL. His youngest son, John Calvin "JC" Dunn was my great great grandfather. There's alot of misleading information out there, but anything I can provide to you I am happy to do so. Any information about the Dunns in Craven Co. that you have would be appreciated.

My best,

Tom Mulhearn
tmasearch@charter.net

Posted: 28 Apr 2011 9:56PM GMT
Tom, Thanks for your enquiry re Dunns. No good news, my lot came from UK and milled around in the same area of Kent for at least 400 years, Farming. Thre was a Samuel dunn (blacksmith ) who made it to US about mid to late 1800s but he is one that I have very little on
Regards
Michael Dunn

Posted: 29 Apr 2011 1:41PM GMT
Surnames: Dunn
Would your David Dunn be the second son of David Dunn, born 1710-1720, whose 1768 Craven County will I was able to copy from the archives in Raleigh?

Posted: 30 Apr 2011 12:41PM GMT
Hi Tom,
Thanks for the message. I descend from Isiah D. Dunn born 5 Sep 1831 Houston Co GA died 4 Aug 1876 Marion Co GA, a younger brother of your William Jackson Dunn born 10 Jan 1816 died 3 Apr 1895 Elmore Co AL.

My findings show that their father David Dunn born 25 Sep 1786 NC was a son of David Dunn Sr from Craven Co NC. This is based on circumstantial findings that are pretty strong. A David Dunn Sr shows up in Twiggs Co GA 1818 with a David Jr, a William Dunn, Jesse Dunn and a James Dunn in the same district near one another. Another William Dunn was in a different Twiggs Co. district. In 1820 a David Dunn Jr, William Dunn Jr and William Dunn in Twiggs are in a land lottery drawing land in other counties.

A version of my family tree is on Rootsweb and ancestry.

The ancestry lindage I believe is(some unproven but convincing):

David Dunn born 1786 NC son of David Dunn born c1760 NC m. Anne Custis 1783 Craven NC (this David leaves Craven NC c1804 - believe his sons named David, William, James, Jesse plus I'm sure he had some dtrs)

William Dunn born c 1738 died 1798 Craven NC (wife Sarah, children John, David, William, Walter, Rebecca, Hardy)

Newman Dunn Dunn born 18 Nov 1714 Richmond Co VA died 1762 Craven NC wife Martha Carey children William, John, Walter, Newman, Anne, Mary, John...apparently there were two Johns per estate records)

William Dunn born 1680-1685 VA (Richmond, Northumberland or Old Rappahannock Co) died? married Anne Newman (her last name based on other's postings...there was definately a Newman connection though her last name isn't proven). Their children were Elizabeth, Newman, Ann, possibly David, John all born North Farnham Parish, Richmond Co VA. I think there was a William also.

Walter Dunn born c1630 England died 1699 Northumberland Co VA married Mary Nutt. Mary was dtr of Capt William Nutt 1610-1668 and Elizabeth. Her sister Elizabeth Nutt was the wife of 1) Alexander Newman and 2) Rev John Tarpley. Elizabeth Nutt Newman Tarpley administered the estate of Walter Dunn. This suggests Anne Newman and husband William Dunn were cousins assuming postings that Anne's parents were Alexander Newman and Elizabeth (which was a little unusual at that time in VA). Mary Nutt's mother Elizabeth married Rev. John Farnefold after Capt William Nutt died. Mary's other siblings were William Nutt, Richard Nutt m Ann Downing, and Anne Nutt m Timothy Green. Capt William Nutt was a son of John Nutt 1584 Cheshire-1644 Essex England and Ann.

Walter Dunn arrived in VA 1650s sponsored by George Colclough of Northumberland/Old Rappahannock Co.

Our Dunn line matched (based on YDNA results) other Dunn lines out of VA, NC and SC that migrated various directions to the west and south. The Thomas Dunn dec'd 1812 in Dobbs, Wayne, Johnston Co NC is an exact match as is another Dunn line near the NC/VA border. The William Dunn line in Essex Co VA (son of a Thomas) is another apparent match based on YDNA (assuming t he family trees of those individuals is correct). The Drury Dunn line out of VA/NC is also a yDNA match (i.e., a descendant or two traced to branches of that line match a descendant of ours fairly closely).

I have some information on your Walter Jackson Dunn and his children. I'd like to compare your findings with mine if you can email me.

You can email me at gkcarson@aol.com.
Thanks,
Gary

Posted: 2 May 2011 11:38AM GMT
Gary, we have corresponded before, but it has been quite a while. Could you tell me again what your guess is as to the connection between the David Dunn Sr. mentioned in this latest posting to my David, born c.1710-172 (Court Records of Craven County, Mentioned as deceased March, 1785, and as having last served on a jury in December, 1784)?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions