Search for content in message boards

Jeremiah Goldwell / Gouldwell / Goulding 1787

Jeremiah Goldwell / Gouldwell / Goulding 1787

Posted: 20 Nov 2011 9:34AM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: goldwell / gouldwell / goulding
Hello
Can anyone offer any suggestions, please, as I've hit a dead end.

Jeremiah (my 4th great grandfather) was born in England in 1787 but fought in the Peninsula war. His first child, also Jeremiah, was born 1814 in France (according to census).

Also according to census information the mother of this child was Antonia / Antonie - a Spanish national, who later anglicised her name to Ann.

As it was normal in those times for wives and girlfriends to follow the path of battles, to stay near to their loved ones, I'm assuming that they met somewhere around one of the battles that strayed over the border into Spain (Orthez?).

What I can't find is her last name. I've ordered her death cert and it's not on there. I can't find a marriage record (I've tried searching UK / France and Spain, although the latter 2 I have more limited options for online searches). I've also broadened my search way beyond 1814 - in case they married after the war.

I'm assuming that they WERE married, but am not certain. She certainly took his name in England Census returns in 1841/51 and on her gravestone in 1857 (Beverley, East Yorkshire). Strangely their 2nd child was born in Ireland in 1817.

Although his name was Goldwell we have found a Peninsula War record that looks like it is his, but under the name Golding. And the gravestone of him and his wife uses Goldwell for them but Goulding for one of their sons. So there is some variation.

As my father lives in Spain can anyone tell me if there is a society or something he can contact to ask for help, please?

This is starting to drive us all mad....
Thanks
Tracey

Re: Jeremiah Goldwell / Gouldwell / Goulding 1787

Posted: 23 Nov 2011 6:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
I found this online about Jeremiah and Antonia Goldwell.
http://www.gaskellfamily.com/johngill1798.htm

Maybe they have a clue to Antonia/Anne's last name.

Posted: 24 Nov 2011 5:31PM GMT
Thank you so much for looking. Unfortunately that's only a repeat of the census information and this person is researching the gill family.

Several of us on Ancestry have been trying to resolve this conundrum for some time.
T

Posted: 25 Sep 2012 10:17PM GMT
Surnames: Goldwell
Hello Tracy,
I have just picked up your request from last November for information on Jeremiah & Antonia Goldwell's marriage. Unfortunately I also spent much time trying to find it and so far have failed. Antonia is my 3 times great grandmother on my mother's side.
I researched Jeremiah's military career and in 1992-3 I travelled through central Spain & southern France following their route during the Peninsula war. I wrote a document about this, which I think you might find interesting.
I'm sure we have other information to exchange, so if you are still involved with the Goldwells, please get in touch. I live in Beverley.

with best wishes,
Rod Mackey
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions