Search for content in message boards

Murphy & Gee

Murphy/Gee

Posted: 28 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Jun 2003 5:47PM GMT
Surnames: Murphy, Gee
Thomas Henry Murphy and Lucy Frances Gee had the following children:
Emmet Curry, Ada Amanda, Mary Martha,Jesse Ellen, Nora Melruna,Margaret Julia,Dora Kizzia, Mont Ardry, Henry Clay,Harriet Artimishi,William Amos and Mildred Bernice.
Lucy Frances Gee is the daughter of Amos Curry Gee and Mary Jane Knight. After Lucy was born, Mary Jane died in Hamburg, Iowa. Amos Gee later married Samantha Scott.

Murphy & Gee

Posted: 28 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jul 2001 6:51PM GMT
Surnames: Murphy, Gee

I would appreciate any help with this Murphy & Gee family.
Sincerely,
Robert Stubbs

THOMAS HENRY2 MURPHY (THOMAS1)was born October 06, 1854 (or Nov 1856) in Decatur Co., Iowa, and died April 20, 1928 in Des Moines, Iowa. He married LUCY FRANCIS GEE5,6 August 09, 1881 in Marion Co., IA, daughter of AMOS GEE and MARY KNIGHT. She was born May 29, 1861 in Mason Co., Illinois7,8, and died July 18, 1914.

Children of THOMAS MURPHY and LUCY GEE are:

i. EMMETT CORY3 MURPHY, b. May 27, 1882, Knoxville, Marion Co., Iowa; d. December 12, 1941.

ii. ADA AMANDA MURPHY, b. October 24, 1884, Knoxville, Marion Co., Iowa.

iii. MARY MARTHA MURPHY, b. December 20, 1886, Knoxville, Marion Co., Iowa; d. December 29, 1972, Des Moines, Iowa.

iv. JESSE ELLEN MURPHY, b. October 26, 1888, Knoxville, Marion Co., Iowa; d. May 30, 1973, Boone, Iowa.

Thomas Murphy

Michelle Kristek (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Murphy
Would you happen to have siblings listed for Thomas (1) or parentage? I have a Murphy family that I am researching....Joseph Henry Murphy, son of James Murphy. Joseph married Lydia Ellen Batten and they had 11 children. They resided in the surrounding counties....Marion, Lucas, and Warren.
Appreciate any info. Thanks!

Joseph Henry Murphy

Michelle Kristek (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Joseph Henry Murphy b: 15 May 1833 Richmond, Virginia d: 08 Mar 1900 Chariton, Lucas Co., Iowa (m) Lydia Ellen Batten/Battin. This is my direct tie in.

Was trying to connect your Thomas Murphy to Joseph,,,,possibly sibling.. Will have to keep trying on that one.

I have a James Murphy listed as the father of my Joseph Henry Murphy with a possibly sibling of Joseph's listed as George W.C. Murphy b: Abt 1830 d: 11 Jul 1857 Pleasantville, Marion Co., Iowa. I am sure that there is more children to add to this list but have not been able to connect as of yet.

Good Luck in your research. Maybe we can connect these families at a later date.
Thanks for the response.

Posted: 5 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jul 2001 6:51PM GMT
Surnames: Murphy, Brown, Wren
I don't have parents or siblings for Thomas Murphy. The following information is believed related to this Murphy family.

Descendants of Thomas Murphy

Generation No. 1

1. THOMAS1 MURPHY was born Abt. 1830. He married JENNY UNK.

Cemetery Records of Marion County, Iowa

Page: 55

Name: John Murphy

Birth Date: 1826

Death Date: 18 Jul 1911

Cemetery: Wren

Town: Knoxville

Relative: wif: Ellen

Name: John C. Murphy

Birth Date: 1830

Death Date: Feb 1886

Name: John W. Murphy

Birth Date: 1879

Death Date: 1924

Comment: Spanish-Amer. war vet

Page: 86

Name: Thomas Wren

Birth Date: 1825

Death Date: 07 May 1904

Comment: Ireland

Relative: wif: Margaret

Children of THOMAS MURPHY and JENNY UNK are:
2. i. THOMAS HENRY2 MURPHY, b. October 06, 1854, Decatur Co., Iowa; d. April 20, 1928, Des Moines, Iowa.

ii. ELIZABETH A. "BETTIE" MURPHY, m. JAMES WREN, January 20, 1890, Marion Co., IA.

Notes for ELIZABETH A. "BETTIE" MURPHY:
1928 lived Knoxville, Marion Co., IA.

It is possible that Barbara Murphy, below, is also a daughter of Thomas and Jennie Murphy.

JAMES BROWN married BARBARA A. MURPHY 24 Oct 1875 Marion IA
William Amos Murphy (s of Thomas Henry Murphy) had a cousin "Miss Clara Brown" at his funeral in 1918.

The James Brown below, buried in the Wren cemetery, seem to be the one who married Barbara Murphy. His burial in the Wren cemetery would then be explained by his wife's sister, ELIZABETH A. "BETTIE" MURPHY, having married a Wren.

Cemetery Records of Marion County, Iowa

Page: 10

Name: James Brown

Birth Date: 1845

Death Date: 1914

Relative: wif: Barbara Eurphy (Murphy)

Re: Thomas Murphy

Posted: 1 Aug 2001 9:17PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 6 Sep 2002 2:11AM GMT
I am looking for the same persons, parents of Nancy Jane Murphy married to Thomas Henry Martin from that area.

Robert Stubbs (View posts)
Posted: 1 Aug 2001 10:41PM GMT
Is your Nancy Jane Murphy from Marion Co., IA?
I have a Jane Murphy b abt 1865, prob Marion Co, dau of Henry Clay Murphy(b Abt. 1833) and Amanda Fitzallen Burch (b April 05, 1836, Barren Co., KY).

Posted: 1 Aug 2001 11:51PM GMT
Edited: 6 Sep 2002 2:11AM GMT
Nancy Jane Murphy was from Sandyville Ia which I believe is in Marion CO. b:4-9-1856. d:4-16-1917 in Chariton IA Lucas Co. she married Thomas Henry Martin on 4-19-1874, b:1-21-1851 near Ragtown in Benton Township, Lucas Co. after she died he went to Montana but much of his family stayed in Chariton. That is all that i am sure of from our family records. It appears she was a twin and I think her parents were Joseph Henry Murphy and Lydia Ellen Batten. Could these people be related?
Posted: 28 Jan 2003 9:32PM GMT
The John J. Murphy listed on your message, was married to Ellen Wren, probably a sister to Thomas Wren, also on your list.
John J. Murphy, b. 1825 in Lixnaw, Co. Kerry, Ireland, was my great-grandfather. I do not know his father's name, but according to his death cert., his mother's name was Kathryn Haley.
If you want more info, email me.
Posted: 3 Jun 2003 11:38PM GMT
Edited: 17 Jun 2005 8:36PM GMT
I am interested in any additional information you have regarding the Murphy family. My great-grandmother was Elizabeth "Beth" Murphy Wren. My grandmother was Genevieve Ann Wren Caffrey b. 1901 d. 1981. I was unaware of who Elizabeth's father/mother were until I saw your posting and recognized the marriage date to James Wren. Thank you for any help you may provide.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic