Search for content in message boards

Samec/Samice/Sametz Family Dauphin/Ethelbert Manitoba

Samec/Samice/Sametz Family Dauphin/Ethelbert Manitoba

Posted: 28 Jan 2009 8:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Samec Sametz Samice
I am researching the Samec family that immigrated in 1898 from Hlyshchace, Galicia, Austria (Now Ukraine)

They immigrated to Canada on the SS Pisa and arrived in May 1898. They settled in Manitoba, some info says Dauphin and other suggested Ethelbert. I only have one generation of this family and am trying to find descendants. I have a letter that lists their last name as Samec, but on the ship list it is Samice and also has been referred to Sametz. I can only find them on the ship manifest but can not find them on any Census'

Dmytro Samec B: 1848 Austria D: Canada
Anna Samec B: 1852 Austria D: Canada
Justina B: 1882 Austria
Samuel (Samko) B: 1881 Austria
Peter (Petro) B: 1889 Austria
Anatasia B: 1892 Austria
Anton B: 1893

As well they may have had more children when the arrived in Canada. One of these children's descendants moved to Ontario at one point but can not determine who.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Re: Samec/Samice/Sametz Family Dauphin/Ethelbert Manitoba

Posted: 8 Feb 2009 12:16AM GMT
Classification: Census
Surnames: samitz
hello

think this is your family but dates a bit out

1906 Canada Census of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta
Name: Metro Samitz
Marital Status: Married
Birthplace: Austria
Family Number: 114
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Hanka
Immigration Year: 1898
Province: Manitoba
Sub-District Description: Townships 27, 28 in Ranges 21, 22, 23 West
Sub-District: 21
Page: 17
+
Name: Hanka Samitz
Marital Status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Immigration Year: 1898
+
Name: Peter Samitz
Marital Status: Single
Relation to Head of House: Son
+
Name: Anton Samitz
+
Name: Nastia Samitz
Relation to Head of House: Daughter
+
Name: Michael Samitz
Birthplace: Manitoba

please note that the image is very poor quality

Re: Samec/Samice/Sametz Family Dauphin/Ethelbert Manitoba

Posted: 4 Jul 2012 1:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sametz
I am excited to respond that the Sametz family you are looking for is also my direct lineage. I am the great grandson of Dmytro Sametz (Samec) from Hleshchava, Galicia, Austria (1898). The family immigrated to Ethelbert, with Samuel Sametz (my grandfather) settling near Dauphin,his sister Justina (Worobec) near Dauphin, and Anna (Huzij) also near Dauphin. Three other sons died in their early years with no desendants, and perhaps an older sister got misdirected to Brazil.

Samuel Sametz and Malania Ptashynski had 12 children, I am the son of Michalina (Tillie) Sametz (second youngest). The entire family moved to the Niagara Falls area around WW2 era and only the youngest daughter Anastasia (Nell) is yet alive.(86). Samuel helped build the Niagara Ukrainian community and Orthodox church. I remember meeting meeting the Reverend Peter Sametz on occaision and recall that there was some relationship between our families. Cousins I think, although it appears that all of Hleshchava was 'Sametz', so there must have been many ties.

The Worobecs and Huzijs both had large families and most I believe remain in the Dauphin area. One of our relatives produced an extensive family tree with info well back into the Hleschava home area.

I am excited this summer (2012) to visit Dauphin for the first time and attend the Ukrainian festival. I am anxious to see if I can meet any long lost relatives and Sametz family members at that time.I will certainly share any info I have and look forward to any contacts. Thanks......... Joe Halos
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions