Search for content in message boards

John Quincy Burbridge

John Quincy Burbridge

Kip Lindberg (View posts)
Posted: 16 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Burbridge, Weed, Carter
I am searching for information reguarding the Burbridge family of Louisiana, Pike County, Missouri, specifically John Quincy Burbridge and his brother Clinton Burbridge. In 1860 John Quincy was a prosperous merchant and banker, also thought to be acting as the city treasurer. Clinton Burbridge was a steamboat clerk. John Quincy Burbridge was an officer in the Louisiana Guards militia company, along with two other men I am interested in: William Fuqua Carter and Francis Ferdinand Weed. All three men joined the pro-Southern Missouri State Guard in the spring of 1861. John Quincy died somewhere in Arizona around 1900. Any information reguarding these me or the Louisiana Guards will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BURBRIDGE and WEED

Patsy Spradley Davis (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: WEED, BURBRIDGE
Hello, I have info and copy of an article from 'Confederate Veteran' by F.F. Weed. Would love to learn more info on the Louisiana Guards. Frances Ferdinand Weed was my gr gr grandfather.
Posted: 25 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 12 Dec 2003 12:00AM GMT
Surnames: Burbridge
If you are researching Burbridges, you should probably also check in Pike County, ILLINOIS as many of them setteld over there, as did other Pike County, MO families.

Re: John Quincy Burbridge

Posted: 9 Aug 2004 10:02PM GMT
Kip, I have some info to share on John Quincy Burbridge and William Fuqua Carter.

First Burbridge: Nickname "Jack", born ~1831 in MO, died 1892 in Arizona (Phoenix or Tuscon) at 61 y/o, buried in Calvary Cemetery, St. Louis MO, Section 13, Lot 244, Grave #1. In the War Between the States, was Capt. Co B & Colonel 1st Infantry, 3rd Division Missouri State Guard (MSG), later Col. 2nd Cavalry, 2nd Division MSG, Colonel 2nd MO Infantry (CSA) and lastly Col. 4th MO Cavalry (CSA, also known as Burbridge's Cavalry). POW Camp Jackson affair, near St. Louis May 1861. Wounded severely in the head at battle of Wilson's Creek (Oak Hills to Confederates, near Springfield MO) 10 August, 1861. After the war he had businesses briefly in St. Louis MO and Alton, IL. He is listed in Pike Co. MO census 1850, 1860, 1870 & 1880. May have been in California gold rush in 1850, was a merchant in 1860, farmer in 1870, tenant in 1880, all from census occupation data. In the early 1880's he moved to Jacksonville FL and was in real estate there. Also purchased land near Gainesville FL. Established the community now called Jacksonville Beach. Was mayor of Jacksonville and a railroad developer there. Helped to found the Jacksonville Public Library. Went to Arizona for his health (throat problem) and died there. Sources: Sterling Price's Lieutenants (Peterson, McGhee, et.al.) Biographical Souvenir of the States of Georgia & Florida (1889, Battey & Co.), Confederate Veteran Magazine (Sept 1918), Serving With Honor (Banasik, p.378-80), Lee's Colonels (Appendix, Robert K. Krick), Florida Times-Union (Saturday, November 26, 1892).

Now for William F. Carter. Went to California during the gold rush, was a brick mason & tobacconist otherwise. A member of the same Louisiana (Pike Co) Militia unit pre-war as Burbridge. In the War Between the States was 3rd Lieutenant & Capt Co B 1st Inf, 3rd Div MSG, then Capt Co F & Major 2nd MO Inf. (Note John Q. Burbridge was also in these units, among others.) Carter was killed in action near Alatoona GA, 5 October 1864, during an assault by French's Division on Union fortifications guarding the railroad through Alatoona Pass. He was buried in GA, but the precise location is unknown. A few years ago a monument was placed on the battlefield, in the shape of the state of Missouri, honoring the men of MO who died there. His name is among those listed on the monument. This officer is sometimes confused with William Farley Carter, who was Capt in the 9th MO Inf (CSA) and lived 1843-1930. They are not the same man. This William F. Carter is buried in Englewood Cemetery in Clinton, Henry Co. MO. Sources: Lee's Colonels (Appendix, Robert K. Krick), Confederate Roll of Honor: Missouri (Leslie Anders), Sterling Price's Lieutenants (Peterson, McGhee, et.al), United Daughters of the Confederacy Files (Joanne Eakin), Forgotten Valor (James W. Farley).

I trust you'll find this helpful. Regards, Mark

Posted: 3 Apr 2012 8:02PM GMT
Looking for more information on J. Q. Burbridge's parentage. Older sibling William was born in Ohio but I believe he relocated to Missouri with Silas Farber.
My children are descended from the Jacksonville Burbridge's.

thanks.

Posted: 14 Jun 2012 8:53PM GMT
John Quincy was the son of Benjamin Burbridge whose widow Elizabeth married Silas Farber after Benjamin's death in 1838. I have lot so Burbridge info if you are interested.

Posted: 14 Jun 2012 8:55PM GMT
John Quincy is son of Benjamin and Elizabeth Burbridge. He was a confederate office in Missouri during the Civil War. Have other Burbridge info if you are interested. Benjamin was the son of Rowland and Jane Wells Burbridge. Rowland was Rev. War soldier.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic